New Blue Soap - The MONO Edition [2022] - January 3rd Update

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Darth Kybiel

Re: New Blue Soap - The MONO Edition [2022] - January 3rd Update

Post by Darth Kybiel »

khundalini wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:11 pm 3.140 Across The Universe is noticed twice.
I would renumber everything, but I'm afraid to mess things up.
I didn't get that far yet myself
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Well done lad. This is a set I would never have the guts to tackle.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

Darth Kybiel wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:00 pm
kolive wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:14 pm It looks like (the correct) 53 is included in 54.
So nothing is missing, but you're right 52 is duplicated.
No. Nothing is missing when compared to rolls. It's one of those areas where people have tried to make the audio match up to an awkward part of the DDSI numbers, which was why I tried a while ago to reccomend some tweaks to it. Obladi Oblada is sung as Don't Let Me Down's music is played, and then you get false starts before an actual performance. Now I could be wrong, but I think in earlier versions of DDSI numberings there was obladi Oblada/Don't Let Me Down as a single numbering, which may have become a separate Don't Let Me Down without the / to represent the false starts maybe? But it isn't a flaw in the set or numbering as much as it is trying to figure out the dividing points.
Yep - I didn't find duplication issues either. Mr. Chops has gone through the tapes several times when making the Stereo AI version, too and would have found duplication. John's false start do sound similar, but they are not duplicated.

steve
dumbchops

Post by dumbchops »

Crazy. Despite listening to every second of this day multiple times, mistakes still happen. In this case, "03-03-052 Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - 3.51" and "03-053 Don't Let Me Down - 3.52" are in fact the same track repeated (somehow). Then "03-054 Don't Let Me Down - 3.53" has 3.52 combined with 3.53. Then later "03-149 All Things Must Pass – 3.140" should be identified as 3.141. The confusion I can kind of blame on the whole DDSI numbering system as it seems to be outdated and personally the more I work with these tracks the more I just want to re-number and re-title it myself but that would of course be going against the tide. I'm standing at a crossroads here.
My full name is Uncle Capt. "Skipper" Dumbchops and I seem to have misplaced my electric pretzel sharpener.
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

Who says we can't start our own numbering system? The most recent DDSI is now 15 years old. Maybe it's time for an update. NBS numbering is where it's at. :D
beatlesondvd

Post by beatlesondvd »

dumbchops wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:08 pm The confusion I can kind of blame on the whole DDSI numbering system as it seems to be outdated and personally the more I work with these tracks the more I just want to re-number and re-title it myself but that would of course be going against the tide. I'm standing at a crossroads here.
In order not to mess up the DDSI numbers when I happen to re-number some performances, I simply add a letter after the DDSI number: 3-343a, 3-343b, 3-343c, etc.
mitchellmichael

Post by mitchellmichael »

The Google drive link isn't working for me...anyone else having this issue?
Cheers
Mike
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

beatlesondvd wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:30 am
dumbchops wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:08 pm The confusion I can kind of blame on the whole DDSI numbering system as it seems to be outdated and personally the more I work with these tracks the more I just want to re-number and re-title it myself but that would of course be going against the tide. I'm standing at a crossroads here.
In order not to mess up the DDSI numbers when I happen to re-number some performances, I simply add a letter after the DDSI number: 3-343a, 3-343b, 3-343c, etc.
Same here -
I wouldn't worry about it. Nothing is missing - a removal and renumbering can be done by everyone else.
dumbchops

Post by dumbchops »

Google disabled my Dick Dangle account due to suspicious activity. I think I have it fixed now if you want to give it another try.
My full name is Uncle Capt. "Skipper" Dumbchops and I seem to have misplaced my electric pretzel sharpener.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

"It's dreadful!"
"It's awful!"
"It's horrible!"
I have no proof, but I bet those were the most-used phrases concerning the Get Back 'reels'. But, who said them?
I can imagine it was a huge challenge for the camera techs to keep track of WHICH reel of film they were shooting...removing, reloading, storing, processing, or ANY OTHER procedural stage a single reel might be in. EVEN, if clearly labeled. IF there was a coherent numbering system that was easy to use for the filming crew, there are still two cameras with different operators. Since all reels look alike, and they shot 50 hours of film...how many reels per hour? If a reel was an hour long, that's 50 + 50...are those numbered as two separate groups...or are they numbered as one group of 100 reels?
AND, if they were completely and sensibly labeled in correct order with permanent labels...should it be assumed that 150 hours of Nagra audio reels were somehow labeled in registration to mesh perfectly with the film reels? My hunch is that a sober, disciplined crew of master(?) technicians would find themselves second guessing their own work regarding ALL Get Back footage.
So, (translation): For these hypothetical reasons, and because of Let It Be(movie), I did not think any of it could be understood. Especially by Beatle fans 30 or 40 or 50 years later. That's why I salute Doug Sulpy and Steve Miller(millerTEK) and dumbchops and the other devotees of this madness. I bought Sulpy's DDSI when it was first published. I never finished reading it. I realized my own scope of Beatles interest offered no tasks at which such skills could be developed. Doug Sulpy accomplished the impossible. He put the HMS Get Back in the water and pointed her in the right direction and plotted all the known coordinates on a map(calendar) that could be retraced or confirmed or corrected. Now, since you've read this far, let me restate that Get Back is my least favorite Beatles music. If possible, I am not PRO or CON! But, the subject is still fascinating enough. The Alchemy is now very nearly a science. I want all related objectives to be realized. The following questions are based on my own uneducated interests, so, if they have been answered elsewhere, please forgive! No bias is implied...
**Is the original DDSI numbering no longer useful?
**Is there a different method of numbering that never needs renumbering?
**Have the different editions of Doug's book confused each other? Rendered early versions obsolete?
**Would a new numbering system be malleable? Or, would it be subject to the same limitations that brought us to this juncture?
**Who would do the renumbering and would it be published in print?
**Have any unlabeled reels been found?
**Have any two reels been labeled the same?
**Are there reels that should exist but have not been found?
**Is there any footage for which no audio has been found?
**Has any of the audio been found that was mislabeled by the crew?
**Has Doug Sulpy ever alluded to a new or different method of numbering?
**Should Doug Sulpy do the renumbering? Would he even want to?
**Is there an estimated percentage of completeness...(how much audio has not been found)?
**Was anything filmed that could not be found by Peter Jackson?
**Why was soundstage space leased for for three weeks of [Magic Christian]non-production down-time?
**Is it really possible to wander into a production facility to chant and burn incense ANYWHERE that The Beatles are?
It's ALL madness! Thanks to ALL of the Get Back detectives...we can call it happiness!
That incense stinks! Go call security and get that guy out of here! The Beatles aren't even here yet!
ANY help is appreciated!
Jai Guru Deva Om!
Thanks, everyone!
KC