Peter Jackson Says It's Up To Us

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Somnar

Re: Peter Jackson Says It's Up To Us

Post by Somnar »

20YearsAgo wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:20 pm Am I the only person a little offended about Peter Jackson's comments? He's probably pocketed millions of dollars assembling the GET BACK and Rooftop presentations. He's seen all that there is to see from these sessions. Presumably, he's presented Disney and/or Apple with beta version(s) of what a "Director's Cut" deluxe edition might look like. Presumably he and his company have presented the relevant parties with marketing/business/financial plans for a Directors Cut release. And yet, presumably, he's failed to convince Apple/Disney to go forward with his plans....

... freak it, Peter. If you can't be your own best advocate, why stick it on us to drum up business for you? I mean, gee whiz, should a Jackson Deluxe Edition eventually be released, Jackson's bound to pocket even more money for this, right?

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see even more from these sessions. But I just don't like Jackson trying to tell us that it's OUR responsibility to make this happen. Like, if we somehow fail, we're letting down the Beatles' legacy or something.
Strange post. "Offended?" As others have pointed out, this is the guy who managed to essentially sneak in two additional hours at the last minute. Shows to me he's got massive balls (and is a little crazy, too).

From your language - "responsibility," "fail," "letting down" - it seems like you're taking this personally, and that's not what's happening here. Maybe better to remember that Jackson made something without precedent - in terms of scale - and, when confronted with griping "we want more" fans, is remaining good-humored about it, making suggestions about ways to make that happen.
beatlbay

Post by beatlbay »

Agreed, Peter Jackson is NOT the villian here. He did something I never could have imagined. Hell, I use to think we would be lucky to get a cleaned up Let It Be, but thanks to Peter, and I am sure a few others, we were blessed with something much more.

Apple and Disney should strike now, while the iron is still hot, and release an extended cut if they want more cash, but sadly, it is ultimately their decision and, no matter how much we bitch, moan or call up Micky, we will be left with what we get.

In the meantime, be greatful to the Hobbit for what we got, one of the best post-breakup products we could ever want.
snrub

Post by snrub »

Although Disney owns the Get Back film, doesn't Apple still own Let It Be (which they promised would come out at some point)?

If so, then since PJ returned all the footage to Apple, when they release the cleaned-up LIB can't they simply put what would have been in his Director's cut as bonus features? Certainly the complete song performances belong more with a LIB release anyway since there are more of them in that film than in GB.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

As I said in another thread, the biggest threat to an extended release is Appl/Disney dragging its heels. PJ is a busy guy. It's not going to take long for him to move on and become far too consumed with new projects to have time to go back and recut a longer version.

Yes, they are being incredibly obtuse and stupid but it's not his fault. He's shown them the way. What else can he do.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Peter Jackson may well have recreated the Michael Lindsay-Hogg version of "Let It Be" in his spare time, for all we know, using the raw footage, recreating the same edits (but with improved picture and audio quality). He may have gone the extra mile and recreated the longer, original version. If he hasn't done either (or both) of these, then the opportunity exists for him to do them (and I'm sure he would do them, given his enthusiasm for The Beatles).
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
plasticsoul

Post by plasticsoul »

In the initial press releases for the Get Back project it was clearly stated that the original Let It Be film had been completely remastered (I assume by P Jackson and his team) and was going to be released as part of this campaign..
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

plasticsoul wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:10 am In the initial press releases for the Get Back project it was clearly stated that the original Let It Be film had been completely remastered (I assume by P Jackson and his team) and was going to be released as part of this campaign..
The word 'campaign' seems to be accurate.
The book was the pre-game warm up.
The 8-hour version is just the first phase a. streaming b. BluRay/DVD on Feb. 8th(in ONE WEEK!) c. Rooftop Concert(stream, IMAX, soundtrack) so, if that's not enough change in the weather, then take Jackson to be the weatherman. He's already said the work is already done. The processing is done. I would bet that the first thing he did was a retro-cut of Let It Be. Nothing different only upgraded. Let It Be is a terrible piece of cinematography. If it was part of the campaign right now, it would deflate the appeal. It needs to stay away because it would serve to reinforce the OLD mythology. This is about re-imagining. Let It Be only serves one purpose now...besides sentiment...the footage from the 31st. HOWEVER, if the rooftop footage is the example, then we will see those Jan. 31 performances in complete form. The edits might be different. I don't think Disney owns anything except worldwide distribution. It seems like Jackson financed the labor/restoration...but Jeff Jones(Apple CEO) is executive producer. Jackson is the producer and editor. I just wonder why Universal isn't the distributor. Disney and Universal are serious competitors . There may be tension behind the scenes. But, I see a whole lot of future for this project. Extended cut? That will be its own release. Feb. 8th BluRay might have bonus material, but a director's cut, extended cut, or even Get Back II...seems likely.
We might as well think big!
Then at least think Copyright Extension.
KC
ruedabeat

Post by ruedabeat »

Between the lines in Peter Jackson´s words I read that Disney-Apple is not interested in a Director´s Cut at all. :(
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

ruedabeat wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:04 pm Between the lines in Peter Jackson´s words I read that Disney-Apple is not interested in a Director´s Cut at all. :(
The reimagined truth is still the truth. The Beatles didn't think this was good enough to release.
That couldn't be any more explicit than when Abbey Road was released.
It was a state of Grace but not completely without irony.
The irony was that to make Abbey Road, they only had to Get Back to St. John's Wood.
No director's cut was ever found!
In breaking news: Nagra Demands On The Rise At Disney switchboard In Burbank.
Beatles future looks MARVELous!
Up, up and away.
Peace, friends!
KC
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Crikey, how ironic if we finally get Let It Be but then are left wondering for the next 30 years "when are Disney going to release Jackson's 12 hour edit?"
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene