BEATLES LET IT BE 50th DELUXE- WHAT'S NEW?

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Lord Reith

Re: BEATLES LET IT BE 50th DELUXE- WHAT'S NEW?

Post by Lord Reith »

MrMurphMcgee wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:45 pm I would think it entirely possible that the flipped stereo image might be the correct orientation and that the earliest bootleggers got it wrong. It wouldn’t be the first time.
I don't think so unfortunately. Three independent sources I looked at all have the same stereo picture.

It's nice to have a full master quality copy of GB now, but it is a huge shame that you can't just put on the vinyl lp with its lovely cover and enjoy it. Instead you'll have to play the record mute and listen to a remixed cd! :evil:
CharlesHawtrey

Post by CharlesHawtrey »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:45 pm
MrMurphMcgee wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:45 pm I would think it entirely possible that the flipped stereo image might be the correct orientation and that the earliest bootleggers got it wrong. It wouldn’t be the first time.
I don't think so unfortunately. Three independent sources I looked at all have the same stereo picture.
But the song Get Back -in both compilations 3 and 4- is the stereo single mix, isn't it?

Therefore, assuming early bootleg releases use a unique source for each compilations, it should be easy to spot whenever the stereo picture of the entire album is inverted or not, by comparing the song Get Back to the stereo mix we have in Past Masters.

IMO, I wouldn't assume the first thing Glyn Johns would do when remixing Get Back one last time would be "Well first of, I'll invert left and right", that's not something you do :mrgreen:

EDIT: So I took 2 very early sources for compilations 3 and 4.
Compilation 3: 1988 "Disques Du Monde" German CD
Compilation 4: 1999 Strawberry Records "Glyn Johns' 2nd Mix"
Now the main difference between the two is indeed the reversal of the stereo image... but!
The Past Masters mix of Get Back (song) being the one used in compilations 3 & 4, it is fair to assume that here, compilation 3 channels reversal is a mistake, as it often happened with early bootleg releases (Compilation 4 surfaced with a correct stereo picture, again comparing to Get Back (song)).

As if you now invert compilation 3 channels (and speed correct both comp 3&4), Get Back is indeed the single mix and all the other common tracks match each other, with the exception of For You Blue which is a very different mix and edit in each.

Now we'll have to wait until the boxset drops and compare what's to compare.
Phase one in which Doris gets her oats!
DrWinstonOBoogie

Post by DrWinstonOBoogie »

Thank you so much for the in-depth analysis! :) Simply amazing.

But as a completist, I'm afraid that I'm still going to get the box set. Also, Let It Be is a very special album to me, as it was the first Beatles album I bought on vinyl with my dad many moons ago.

Also, with so many creative and talented fellow Beatle fans in this community, I foresee a corrected set or at least tracks posted on this community (specifically the edits and corrected stereo) being posted in the near future :)

Happy Wednesday to one and all, and again thank you for such an in-depth analysis! :)
mikec

Post by mikec »

AdamBound wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:19 am Amazing work Mike! This came quick!
thank you very much Adam! kind regards
mikec

Post by mikec »

WilliamShears wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:21 am Thank you mike, now the set is “official” !
Thank you and let's enjoy it!
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

I'm going to extract the audio channels on the bluray to isolate each channel - hopefully isolate the electric piano overdubs done for the LIB album including the Spector orchestra tracks for I Me Mine, etc that are less prevalent -

I reviewed the tracklist - the outtakes were not also on Anthology (common rumor) - these are totally different Glyn John's 8-track recordings made during the Apple sessions in later January 69. Different DDSI numbers. This is a nice upgrade. Hundreds of hours of footage, they can only choose so much to release.

Then you get 6 hours of Peter Jackson's footage remastered - you can make an audio disc of that - so be glad they aren't duplicating footage in the movie onto the Box set, too.

You'll see -
rhino

Post by rhino »

Thanks for the review !
batdude98

Post by batdude98 »

I am still excited for the set regardless of cock-ups, but I understand the frustrations.

Mike or anybody else, do you happen the know the 2007 DDSI numbers for the new (and old) material? Would love to compile an expanded version of what I've already got, like I've done with each anniversary release to date, and I have the LIB outtakes organized by DDSI number on my main Deluxe set...
enriquelu

Post by enriquelu »

batdude98 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:18 pm I am still excited for the set regardless of cock-ups, but I understand the frustrations.

Mike or anybody else, do you happen the know the 2007 DDSI numbers for the new (and old) material? Would love to compile an expanded version of what I've already got, like I've done with each anniversary release to date, and I have the LIB outtakes organized by DDSI number on my main Deluxe set...
Hi batdude98

Here you can find all the DDSI numbers for each year

http://getbacksessions.blogspot.com/
Much2Much

Post by Much2Much »

Thank you to Mike C. for this detailed study of the upcoming LET IT BE celebratory release. This will make a great companion to the set and I for one will be including a copy in the book that comes with the boxed set.

I have just received a copy of the new and updated Get Back book - i don't think the pages are going to fall out of this copy ...