Paul being asked about unreleased recordings in 1990

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
MarkRJones1970

Paul being asked about unreleased recordings in 1990

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Paul McCartney & Linda were on a march to save a hospital on 15/10/90 in Rye, Sussex. I went with a mate & his friend just to see if we could meet him. While there, they took a set of photos and so did I. This photo was taken by my mate's mate as we can both be seen in it to the right of the fellow asking the question to Paul (I'm facing towards the photographer, Darren, my mate then, is facing to the right). These photos have been on the internet for years but i have never talked about what was going on when this one was taken.

Paul wasn't signing anything whilst walking as he was there only to promote the reason for the march itself. Anything put forward to sign while walking was met with "No, sorry, that's not why I'm here!". All he would do was shake hands. (I got a hand shake: "Can I shake your hand please?" "Yep, I can do that" Paul replied.) Any chat to do with music, solo or Beatles, was out of bounds. I remember hearing a question being asked that made me concentrate and listen to Paul's reply. This chap on the right here, holding a tape recorder, is asking Paul about then unreleased Beatles recordings like 'Leave My Kitten Alone', 'What's the New Mary Jane', 'Not Guilty' & 'That Means A Lot' and asking why these tracks hadn't been released yet and if there were any plans to. He could have had a copy of 'Sessions' or some of the 'Unsurpassed Masters' CDs maybe. As I heard the question being asked I looked at Paul just before he was about to answer as, obviously, I wanted to hear what he was going to say.

Well, the question went down like a lead balloon. The look on Paul's face, as he was asked the question, says it all I think! I don't recall Paul's exact answer but it was along of the lines of "I'm not answering THAT!" An anti-climax to my story but, that's how it ended!
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
RAJ

Re: Paul being asked about unreleased recordings in 1990

Post by RAJ »

I guess he was serious when he said he was only there to save the hospital and nothing else. I wonder if the hospital is still around?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Never mind all that, you shook hands with Paul.

I'm seriously jealous.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Twice! I also managed it the 2nd time I met him too! :)
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
Phil_Lip

Post by Phil_Lip »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:44 pm Twice! I also managed it the 2nd time I met him too! :)
Closest I ever got was shouting down from the balcony of the floor of a hotel after the LIverpool Oratorio. He was on the road outside, flagging down a cab with my wife was shouting 'Paul, Paul'. When he looked up we both shouted how great the concert was, to which we got are very own thumbs up!
Most of my links are to OneDrive. However, OneDrive does impose a download limit and when this is reached displays a message that the files are deleted or have expired. Leave it a while and try again later.