Time to exhume the Core again - May be familiar to some

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
csnyfan

Re: Time to exhume the Core - May be familiar to some

Post by csnyfan »

mojofilter wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:05 pmAre you trying to tell me that correcting the pitch and phase of a recording is something that you consider to be my personal preferenece?
Precisely. It is just a different way of doing things, and it is certainly not untouched. The first post makes clear that the goal is to collect the 'original best source' for everything, not 'remastered and pitched to A440Hz'.
dylanoscar

Post by dylanoscar »

Thank you very much...!!!
paul62

Post by paul62 »

There seems to be two ways to qualify for core status, according to the original post by Track06, though - as an original best source and/or as a must have item for a completist collector. The Joe Pope Deccagone singles would qualify for core status under either or both of these ways, for example.
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
Tex

Post by Tex »

mojofilter wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:05 pm.
Mojo. I'm curious if you have any comments on the speed of the "A Hard Day's Night" album. I don't have perfect pitch but it feels to me the whole album is slightly fast and "Any Time At All" is ridiculously fast. I've slowed down "Any Time At All" quite a bit and only then does John sound normal like we hear in various outtakes.

We know they were not doing deliberate vari-speed at this time but it is known that since the 1950s certain producers would swap out tape capstans with slightly larger or smaller sizes to goose the speed on things. It would be no problem slightly speeding up the stereo/mono remixes if they thought the tracks needed a little pep.

And just an open question to anyone: How stable and reliable WAS the UK line frequency of 50 hertz back then?
Last edited by Tex on Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 10 times in total.
mitchellmichael

Post by mitchellmichael »

I’d love to hear other stuff you’ve done mojofilter! Anything of yours I have I’ve loved. And I for one don’t think anything you’ve done is in vain. Also, there shouldn’t be an “Other Artist” category if they don’t want non-Beatle material here 😉
Cheers
Mike
Track06

Post by Track06 »

Thanks rhino for Northern Lights. Updated.
bonniegreg wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:11 pm If this new post of the Washington concert is not the best option, what source has the best fidelity?
The ancient original best source is 'In Case You Don't Know' I think. Silent Sea's "In Concert...Washington" is very similiar and possibly uses it as a source.

A lot of people dig your work mojofilter. This is just not about remasters but the audio that gets remastered, hence no place for csnyfan's, masterjedi's or your work.
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

I'd like to point out that I appreciate these peoples' work, and I don't see us as competition against each other.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

I have used the version of Capstan that you supplied to me to fix the wow and flutter on demo recordings of songs I wrote that I made from the '80w through the '90s on cassette decks with crappy motors. On these, it has worked miracles. I was able to correct the wow on records like "Avergabenny" by Marty Wilde, and "Any Other Way" by Jackie Shane, and I fixed the wow on the promo of "Penny Lane" about which csnyfan had nothing good to say. The owner of the record was gobsmacked, though. I haven't encountered any Beatles bootlegs that needed Capstan yet. It is one of the best things ever made available to restoration engineers, but outside a handful of records, I haven't come across anything where its use was required. in any case, please accept my gratitude for having given it to me in the first place. What a great program!
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

Engonoceras wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:52 pm
Mojo. I'm curious if you have any comments on the speed of the "A Hard Day's Night" album.
I will spend some time with this album in the next few days, to see what kind of problems there might be that are fixable.

In one of the entries on an early mixing session, Mark Lewisohn mentioned that on a cold London night, the mains frequency would drop because so many people were putting coins into their home heaters. This caused the tape machines at Abbey Road to run slow. There was no such thing then as quartz-lock, so the machines would slow down, and the next day, they'd play back at a higher speed.

I'll see what I can discover.
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Engonoceras wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:52 pm
Mojo. I'm curious if you have any comments on the speed of the "A Hard Day's Night" album. I don't have perfect pitch but it feels to me the whole album is slightly fast and "Any Time At All" is ridiculously fast. I've slowed down "Any Time At All" quite a bit and only then does John sound normal like we hear in various outtakes.

We know they were not doing deliberate vari-speed at this time but it is known that since the 1950s certain producers would swap out tape capstans with slightly larger or smaller sizes to goose the speed on things. It would be no problem slightly speeding up the stereo/mono remixes if they thought the tracks needed a little pep.

And just an open question to anyone: How stable and reliable WAS the UK line frequency of 50 hertz back then?
You, me and mojofilter were discussing these matters at "the Row" early last year. I think I'll start a a new thread here (as the topic sharply deviates from "the Core" that's being discussed!!).
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!