Surprised by N&T used in movie

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
BeatleG

Surprised by N&T used in movie

Post by BeatleG »

There was a movie started within hearing distance of my office for a Friday Social where I work with those who have a long-term mental illness. The movie was "Argylle". Looking it up on IMDB, I saw the movie was released in February. The song was "Now and Then" and I wondered how it was incorporated into a movie so quickly after only about three months from the song's release to the world and considering the secrecy about the track. I did a Google search and found reference to its inclusion. I only did the one quick search but it rang true. The article mentioned that the song use was kept secret, I guess until the movie was released, probably noted for the storyboard (if that's the right word for it) that the spot was being kept open because it hadn't been decided what was to be used. Maybe it was just the director and producer that knew. Hearing just a few seconds of the song and identifying it so quickly as the Beatles reminded me of hearing "Something" played on the radio for the first time so many years ago, and I shouted out or thought to myself (Who can trust their memory that well, especially recently when my memory really is failing me, though more short-term rather than long-term memory?) "That's the Beatles!"

Regarding the movie "Argylle": I tried to not pay attention to anything going on in the big room because I figured I'd watch it from the beginning at home if for no other reason than respects to the Beatles. After all, I had the movie at home since I was the one who brought it to work on a thumb when there were a couple of votes for the flick. (There was another movie playing down at the other end of the building but I didn't even notice what was playing down there.) So I closed my office door and focused on paperwork and really had no idea what the feel of the movie was other than the blurb at IMDB. I watched about 1/3 of it during the weekend and may not get back to it. It's a violent thriller, not my kind of movie. Maybe I should finish it because they only played about half of the song before the soundtrack moved to on to another song or background music. Perhaps it comes up again to finish the song.
jpgrcat1960

Re: Surprised by N&T used in movie

Post by jpgrcat1960 »

viewtopic.php?t=9441

Beatles 2014-07-14 Ethan Hawke's The Black Album

I guess that was from this Movie???
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

With these kinds of B-movies they tend to include recently released tracks for promotional purposes. Another good example is Believer by Imagine Dragons on the trailer for the 2017 Murder On The Orient Express. For those who aren't familiar: it's a murder mystery set on a luxury train in the Balkans during the 1930s... I wouldn't read much more into this kind of 'radio play' in a movie or television series unless it has a clear relation to the plot, like in Across The Universe (better called 'Look we (Sony/ATV) got hold of Jackson's Beatles rights catalogue!') or Yesterday.
sunnylew

Post by sunnylew »

It actually pops up a few times in the movie as "Their song."

From memory, they even sing or say a couple of lines from it, so they must have had a good idea of what they were getting fairly early on, unless those shots were pickups.