Doctor Who meets the Beatles

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Amoos Bouche

Doctor Who meets the Beatles

Post by Amoos Bouche »

For all those Whovians out there. In the new series of Doctor Who he travels back to the 60's, here's the review by Hollie Richardson in the Guardian.

Doctor Who
6.20pm, BBC One Sat 11th May 2024.

Ncuti Gatwa is all charisma and then some in his first full term as the Time Lord in the new series of Doctor Who. Written by Russell T Davies, the opening double bill picks up where the Christmas special left off – with street-smart Ruby Sunday (Millie Gibson) stepping into the Tardis and ready for adventure. First stop: a baby farm, run by freaky talking babies, who like to call Ruby and the Doctor Mummy and Daddy, and are terrified of the Bogeyman lurking beneath them. Then it’s a total vibe change: the pair travel to the 60s, where they meet the Beatles, and the powerful Maestro (Drag Race’s Jinkx Monsoon) who is trying to change the band’s role in history.
Lord Reith

Re: Doctor Who meets the Beatles

Post by Lord Reith »

Cool! Thanks for the heads up. Will watch this tonight after Let It Be.

Link:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... d=m001z8c2
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
GP10Ellison

Post by GP10Ellison »

I enjoyed the episode and was impressed that they did NOT use any beatles music.
that must have been a hard thing to avoid.
not sure on the beatles casting....they really didn't look that much like them.
the woman playing cilla looked good though.

also that description on the original post of this thread is way off....
"...who is trying to change the band’s role in history."
the beatles were the B story of this one. music had already been stripped from humanity for several decades.
Their role was already changed before they were born.
remember when you were in The Beatles? and the song goes, “And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make”? You.. you remember that?

Yes.

Uh.. is that true?

Yes, Chris. In my experience I find, the more you give, the more you get.
Amoos Bouche

Post by Amoos Bouche »

Whatever we think of the plot, the casting, or the fact that John's glassess were wrong for 1963. The thing to take away is that some youngster out there may have had that Beatles acorn planted. Imagine the journey of discovery they are going to have, the pleasures to come. Aren't we all just that tiny bit jealous when you really think about it.
GP10Ellison

Post by GP10Ellison »

Amoos Bouche wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:22 pm Whatever we think of the plot, the casting, or the fact that John's glassess were wrong for 1963. The thing to take away is that some youngster out there may have had that Beatles acorn planted. Imagine the journey of discovery they are going to have, the pleasures to come. Aren't we all just that tiny bit jealous when you really think about it.
yeah, I always enjoy when someone I know hasn't seen or heard something I love and lets me introduce them to it.

the glasses being wrong, I took to be because of the changes caused by removing music from their lives.
Loved the plot. I guess without music maybe it changed how they would have looked. I could accept that excuse.
remember when you were in The Beatles? and the song goes, “And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make”? You.. you remember that?

Yes.

Uh.. is that true?

Yes, Chris. In my experience I find, the more you give, the more you get.
Amoos Bouche

Post by Amoos Bouche »

I reckon they used the national health glasses as more people would be aware of John wearing those in his later career. If the actor hadn't worn those I wouldn't have known which one was John. Still it's all good fun and I didn't hide behind the sofa once. :D