Michael Lindsay-Hogg's 'Let It Be' is coming!

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
HenryTheHorse

Re: Michael Lindsay-Hogg's 'Let It Be' is coming!

Post by HenryTheHorse »

Although I appreciated this new transfer, it seems like too many liberties were taken on this historical document. Did anyone notice all the sound differences? For instance, when John first sings "Don't Let Me Down", it don't sound like a loud shout anymore like in the original version...it sounds like murmured singing. Also, there were some weird reverb effects put on John's shouting ("I dig a pigmy") and Ringo's snare drum (starting off "Two of Us"). On the contrary, reverb was then removed in some parts where it was present on the original version ("Ole!" at the end of "Besame Mucho"),
mikec

Post by mikec »

ledzepfilm wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:48 pm
mikec wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:33 pmHowever, the fonts doesn't change the fact that Peter did altered the original opening. Now the Drum head logo is frozen until Mal arrives, you can't see the shadows of the plastic moving and the camera also moving anymore; the black curtain transition between Twickenham and Apple is gone (so this means there's no transition in the original 16mm print that Apple has? I really doubt it because Furmanek's does has it and he did that using the original 16mm print and Jackson's version runs longer than any other -you can check German's print, 1992, Laser, etc, all are the very same-, the bit from where a black curtain appears after "I Me Mine", when Yoko puts her right hand removing the hair from his face while her left arm grabs John's shoulder and after that goes lower to the waist; while in the original film on ANY of the available old versions, the scene vanish with the black curtains after she grabs her hair and left arm on John's shoulder; we can't see her left arm grabbing John's waist, so, any explanation for this particular issue please?. Always wanting to have more knowledge from you guys)
1) The intro - I don't see anything suggesting it's a freeze frame. A lot of older low quality prints/copies generally have a lot of jittering, so you're probably thinking of that.
2) The black curtain wipes - Apple clearly has a 16mm "negative" cut of Let it Be (backed up by the soundandvision article), which explains why there are differences in the text intros, transitions, and extra frames at the end of Rooftop. There are even differences in the opening credits text between the German Print/1970 edit and the text in the 1992 restoration (2024 is closer to the 1992 restoration than the German Print).
1-Check Furmanek's, forget about the rest. There's a natural shaking of the cameraman while shooting this close up scene with the drum head logo, even the shadow across and below the S moves very slightly before Mal grabs it. Jackson's version is completely frozen. Take 1 also has the same natural movement of the cameraman filming it.

2-Thanks!! Yep, I did all the A/B/C/D comparative video running at the same time for the opening scene, but we can't post it here.
Thanks for the feedback and info!
ledzepfilm

Post by ledzepfilm »

mikec wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:18 pm 1-Check Furmanek's, forget about the rest. There's a natural shaking of the cameraman while shooting this close up scene with the drum head logo, even the shadow across and below the S moves very slightly before Mal grabs it. Jackson's version is completely frozen. Take 1 also has the same natural movement of the cameraman filming it.
Check the top left corner of both the '92 print and the new one. There is a very subtle zoom in on the drum head present on both, so don't think this is a freeze frame.
GP10Ellison

Post by GP10Ellison »

the thing that bothers me about the restoration is that now the jawa's are riding dewbacks and all the guns were replaced with walkie-talkies.

and the use of AI that gave john 7 fingers on one hand and paul two foreheads is a step to far
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
remember when you were in The Beatles? and the song goes, “And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make”? You.. you remember that?

Yes.

Uh.. is that true?

Yes, Chris. In my experience I find, the more you give, the more you get.
silver_2000

Post by silver_2000 »

HenryTheHorse wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:15 pm Although I appreciated this new transfer, it seems like too many liberties were taken on this historical document. Did anyone notice all the sound differences? For instance, when John first sings "Don't Let Me Down", it don't sound like a loud shout anymore like in the original version...it sounds like murmured singing. Also, there were some weird reverb effects put on John's shouting ("I dig a pigmy") and Ringo's snare drum (starting off "Two of Us"). On the contrary, reverb was then removed in some parts where it was present on the original version ("Ole!" at the end of "Besame Mucho"),
That is the list of liberties, I hate to be that guy, but if that was all that was changed, or at least most of what was changed, that is really not taking many liberties.

As someone who admittedly is not super into Let It Be, I thought the new 2024 version of it was a pretty good watch.
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

Well, you can tell that Peter Jackson was there.
I did not bother with the 2160 (only watched the 1080 version); it's so smoothed that you can barely see the argentic grain; almost blurry during the studio sequences and even some rooftop concert sequences. You can't tell it's the great Tony Richmond who filmed for Nicolas Roeg "Don't Look Now" (both are two of the greatest English cinematographer).

Fortunately there is still Monsieur Hulot and that girl in miniskirt with the beautiful legs.
Tex

Post by Tex »

Rupert Pupkin wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:39 pm Well, you can tell that Peter Jackson was there.
I did not bother with the 2160 (only watched the 1080 version); it's so smoothed that you can barely see the argentic grain; almost blurry during the studio sequences and even some rooftop concert sequences. You can't tell it's the great Tony Richmond who filmed for Nicolas Roeg "Don't Look Now" (both are two of the greatest English cinematographer).

Fortunately there is still Monsieur Hulot and that girl in miniskirt with the beautiful legs.
Yes Mrs Lincoln, but otherwise how was the play? :lol:
Gredel21

Post by Gredel21 »

Hi All
Knowing no official copy is allowed on the forum.
Has anyone seen or streamed the remastered Let it be print ad point a direction for those who dont have Disney+ and want to see it
Greg
HenryTheHorse

Post by HenryTheHorse »

silver_2000 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:31 pm
HenryTheHorse wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:15 pm Although I appreciated this new transfer, it seems like too many liberties were taken on this historical document. Did anyone notice all the sound differences? For instance, when John first sings "Don't Let Me Down", it don't sound like a loud shout anymore like in the original version...it sounds like murmured singing. Also, there were some weird reverb effects put on John's shouting ("I dig a pigmy") and Ringo's snare drum (starting off "Two of Us"). On the contrary, reverb was then removed in some parts where it was present on the original version ("Ole!" at the end of "Besame Mucho"),
That is the list of liberties, I hate to be that guy, but if that was all that was changed, or at least most of what was changed, that is really not taking many liberties.

As someone who admittedly is not super into Let It Be, I thought the new 2024 version of it was a pretty good watch.
No that isn't THE list of liberties. You can read the previous posts about the other visual differences if you want to know what has been documented so far. The list I gave was just some examples based on my initial viewing and not a complete list of sound anomalies. Also, my comment wasn't meant to be used as a review about whether or not I liked the film...only to document the differences that I've noticed.
Rui

Post by Rui »

The reason why the drumhead's logo looks more slightly tilted on the LaserDisc/VHS prints of the film is there's actually aspect ratio squashing going on its intro and Get Back Reprise outro, hence the tilted look (though it's not, it's just the squashing making it look tilted). Since there's text involved in both sequences they thought of a way of the picture to fit without it being cropped. So they squashed it back into 4:3, if you didn't know they used the Theatrical widescreen print on the physical releases (LaserDisc/VHS) hence the weird cropping. They cropped it back to 4:3 for it to fit TV screens. When i found out about this I was confused, why couldn't they just preserve the whole image of the theatrical print by squashing it like the intro and outro sequences? I think it's because they didn't have the tech to switch from different aspect ratios on TVs so they did the harsh crop instead of squashing the whole film to 4:3.

Examples: (1st Image - Original Squashed 4:3 Image, 2nd Image - Fixed 16:9 Aspect Ratio & 3rd Image - What it would've looked like if they cropped the intro and outro sequences) hxxps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1r9eL66VJh_Kt4EFIjS7pahTteAq2oo1E?usp=sharing