Re: New Brown Shoe

Post by RLester »

What a nice surprise! Thanks again!
HarryShowman

Post by HarryShowman »

brainwashed wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:19 pm
Rickenbacker325 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:49 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:39 am I've always loved George's edgy B-side Old Brown Shoe, which has echoes of Not Guilty in its... erm, echoing guitar phrases. But I always hated the "voice in the room down the hall" aspect of it. A long time ago I just boosted the vocal, but it is so badly recorded it wasn't much of an improvement.

So I took another route and erased the crappy vocal track and replaced it with his vocal from the demo. Since this was an in-studio demo, the quality is very good and so it is a good match.

Hope you enjoy it.

https://tinyurl.com/exp-june-8

BTW, I've heard ruminations about Paul playing drums on this... no way! He was never that good on drums. This is the Ring-laden one all the way.
Very nice indeed!

The liner notes for the deluxe Abbey Road state that Paul plays drums and John played piano…I have my doubts about both. However it was supposedly recorded during Magic Christian filming so who the heck knows…
The liner notes are wrong. Ringo missed the AFTERNOON session, when they rehearsed OBS. Ringo was there for the evening session proper. I think it's George on piano. It's note-for-note the same as what he played on the Birthday demo. Yea, Paul could have learned it, but it's damn identical. Why would John have bothered to learn the part, then play it just like George? I think Doggett mis-read the studio notes or mis-heard the session tapes. Ringo may have left after OBS was completed and Paul jumped on the drums for the Something rehearsal, but there's no way Paul is drumming on the master take. Leaving what, George on bass and John on guitar for the basic tracks? And get it down in just 4 takes? Not a chance.

Another fab remix sir. Amazing how closely the vocal from the demo matches the studio backing. And a fine editorial choice to use the final backing vocal during the coda. Well done!

Ron
How anyone can think it's Paul on drums on the song is beyond me.
Anyway, Kenneth Womack has revealed that Mal Evans diary says it was Ringo on drums, George on piano (guide vocal) and John on guitar on the basic live track.
Kevin Howlett made a mess out of it. Unfortunately, there is more nonsense in his SDE books.
BeatleGuy1949

Post by BeatleGuy1949 »

Thank You LR!
El_Garnatí

Post by El_Garnatí »

Great like always LR
ruedabeat

Post by ruedabeat »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:39 am I've always loved George's edgy B-side Old Brown Shoe, which has echoes of Not Guilty in its... erm, echoing guitar phrases. But I always hated the

https://tinyurl.com/exp-june-8

BTW, I've heard ruminations about Paul playing drums on this... no way! He was never that good on drums. This is the Ring-laden one all the way.
Sorry, but Not using Wetransfer anymore ?
Modboy66

Post by Modboy66 »

Cool thanks LR!
rfwood1

Post by rfwood1 »

As is always the case, another amazing remix! Thanx so much!
urasam2

Post by urasam2 »

This is great! Excellent vocal.... though dare I say it's now just a tad too loud? :lol: Ironic, I know...
Astrogal

Post by Astrogal »

George seemed to like putting effects on his vocals... "Everybody's trying to be my baby" has extreme reverb that makes it unlistenable to me