Chuck and Dave

Re: Beatlemania The Movie (1981 / 1984 U.S.A. Home Entertainment Laserdisc) DVD

Post by Chuck and Dave »

enjoy

hXXps://mega.nz/folder/wodEiBoa#vdviQIVeZVgCSzOG6JoJDA
monkeesfan1965

Post by monkeesfan1965 »

Thank you so much!!! Can't wait to wrap my peepers around this. 12 year old me thought it was fantastic.... Let's see what a few decades does... ;)
"please tell your mother I am not a bum. I am a musician"
Kando

Post by Kando »

Thanks Chuck and Dave for that re-up. I had forgotten that they had even made a video of this. I knew about an album, but not this. And big thanks to cliftdean 74 for the original rip and upload. Megatools is happily downloading away, even as I type. Love that tool for this stuff.

I saw the show several times, mostly in L.A. at the Pantages, where it played most of the time that it was in L.A. Also saw it in San Diego at the old Fox Theater a few times, when the show traveled, and even at Knox Berry Farm one time, lol. This will hopefully be an absolutely great trip down memory lane, as I loved this show.

As for the pre-recorded portion of the show, only the orchestral instruments were pre-recorded, and the band played live along with them. They were for the most part very talented musicians, with both the Paul and John characters playing the keyboards as well. In regards to any following Beatles tribute bands that I saw afterwards, these guys were a match for any of them. The best ones I ever saw were pretty much always made up of ex-Beatlemania show members, and I have seen a lot of different bands.

As for the album and broadway show song lists, I just checked the song list on the LD and the double lp. While most of it is the same there seem to be a minor difference or two. Additionally, they always did the same songs for every show, and also always did them in the same order. In the show they were mostly all played according to general release chronology. The band would do around 4-5 costume changes as the show progressed, having the songs performed in the outfits that would have more or less represented them at the time the songs were released. It wasn't until the broadway production broke up, and members continued to tour under the same name for awhile that they ever strayed from the original song line-up, or ever did encores, lol. I last saw them like this at Kit Carson Park, in Escondido, Ca, when they invited everyone to come down front and dance for the entire show, very cool. Also, Day Tripper was always played at the very end of the first half of the show. Ringo would always pop a huge balloon that would drop down to just above his head as the song ended, the theater lights would go out, and flash cannons that ran the whole length of the front of the stage would go off, all at once. That was very cool. And then they would announce a 15-20 minute intermission. I'm also pretty sure that they always started with She Loves You, and ended the show with Get Back, which always made you want more, lol.

Okay, post skim through review of the LD version: Wow, did they really mess with how the show was actually presented. I am more than a tad disappointed. While some of the videos shown were used on side panels, and the main screen behind the group, I do not believe that some of these ever were. To let those who never actually saw the show know, there were two large side panels, on each side of the stage, that would pop out from time to time and synchronized period videos or slides were shown on them, along with the music. The tall/skinny vids/slides shown on the LD would have been those. During most of the show period videos/slides were also shown on a large screen directly behind the group. The period related videos really added to the chemistry of the show. Oh, and there were never any Star Trek references, ever, and certainly never any full-size cut-outs of them, lol

Showing nothing but the vids/slides at times during the LD playback is really a drag. I was definitely hoping for a lot more than this, but at least it's something to remember things by. And still very nice that cliftdean 74 originally put it up, and that Chuck and Dave re-upped it for folks. Hope my review was not too much of a downer, lol. I really loved that show, and saw it well over 20 times, so to have it represented like that is a bit of a let down. :(

FYI: The current Rain tribute band uses side videos as well, but not nearly the same quality of the Broadway show ones. And yet they actually sued another tribute band for trying to do the same thing. What a laugh.
"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"