Woman is the [Slave] of the World (AI)

Wherever you are, you are here…
BeatlegPod

Woman is the [Slave] of the World (AI)

Post by BeatlegPod »

Hi all,

Something I put together a while ago. An attempt to remove the word (you know the one) that can be problematic for some people in 2024. Two versions:

- Live in New York City
- Studio Version

Obviously, the available vocal take(s) was limited - I feel the live one probably jars less and is a more successful attempt, but hope this might allow some of you to enjoy this incredible tune, without having to look over your shoulder at the awkward moments...!

Link (valid for 7 days): hxxps://we.tl/t-JmeVPNG1rN
Applejam101

Re: Woman is the [Slave] of the World (AI)

Post by Applejam101 »

Thanks. I really appreciate this. I think it is a great song as is, but this helps me get over the cringe.
silver_2000

Post by silver_2000 »

BeatlegPod wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:23 am Hi all,

Something I put together a while ago. An attempt to remove the word (you know the one) that can be problematic for some people in 2024. Two versions:

- Live in New York City
- Studio Version

Obviously, the available vocal take(s) was limited - I feel the live one probably jars less and is a more successful attempt, but hope this might allow some of you to enjoy this incredible tune, without having to look over your shoulder at the awkward moments...!

It was ''problematic' in the 1970s, it was intentionally written to somewhat shock the listener.
This is literately like grabbing books and writing over the authors words, what gives you the right to re-write Lennon?
Maybe next you can edit Imagine so Lennon does not come across as knocking religion.

I am not even defending Lennon's use of the word, I think it clearly caused more pain then it was worth, but it to be honest, re-writting Lennon's lyrics, or any artists work, to better fit with today's political climate gives me a bad feeling

If you want to have a conversation about why its offensive, why he should have NOT done it, thats a good conversation, a conversation that is needed and valuable, but blatant re-writting is not that.
monkeesfan1965

Post by monkeesfan1965 »

Funny, I never cringed at this. The context was perfect, and it was exacttly what he was feeling and chose to say. I am not nor have I EVER been a politician, so I have zero use for "political correctness" It irks me to no end when bands are forced to alter their art. Puddle of Mudd, Disturbed, The WHo... We are not advancing as a society by censorship. There's my two cents... Rub them together, put them in you pocket, or skip them across the pond.
"please tell your mother I am not a bum. I am a musician"
dascottjr

Post by dascottjr »

This is the version they should have played on the radio (leaving the album version as-is, of course). Similar to what they did with Harry Nilsson's "You're Breakin My Heart". Funny how no one thought do this until now. It's censorship, yes, but if you wanted to get airplay, there were rules to follow.
Golem

Post by Golem »

silver_2000 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:46 pm
BeatlegPod wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:23 am Hi all,

- Live in New York City
- Studio Version

It was ''problematic' in the 1970s, it was intentionally written to somewhat shock the listener.
This is literately like grabbing books and writing over the authors words, what gives you the right to re-write Lennon?
Maybe next you can edit Imagine so Lennon does not come across as knocking religion.

I am not even defending Lennon's use of the word, I think it clearly caused more pain then it was worth, but it to be honest, re-writting Lennon's lyrics, or any artists work, to better fit with today's political climate gives me a bad feeling

If you want to have a conversation about why its offensive, why he should have NOT done it, thats a good conversation, a conversation that is needed and valuable, but blatant re-writting is not that.
I mean, tbf I think its just a bit of fun, tho yeah imo it certainly does remove most of the actual message of the song
quigatolah

Post by quigatolah »

silver_2000 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:46 pm re-writting Lennon's lyrics, or any artists work, to better fit with today's political climate gives me a bad feeling

As if forcing a vocabulary change on someone removes the hatred from their hearts.
I'd rather see then coming

Politicians
PC'rs
Corrector's
Advertisers etc.
all want to put a glossy, shiny coat on ugly things so they can pose as good people
when more often than not they are seeking their own benefit in one way or another.
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

It’s amazing how at one time this song was considered “edgy”……”groundbreaking”…”controversial”…but now no one wants to go near it with a ten foot pole….I guess the Lennon camp doesn’t want to be yet another victim of cancel culture.

This being said I love the chord progressions in it and am certainly not bothered by it in the least. This edit is a novel idea though…like the Ballad of John & Yoko edit from Australia(or was it New Zealand?)
Golem

Post by Golem »

Rickenbacker325 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:23 pm It’s amazing how at one time this song was considered “edgy”……”groundbreaking”…”controversial”…but now no one wants to go near it with a ten foot pole….I guess the Lennon camp doesn’t want to be yet another victim of cancel culture.

This being said I love the chord progressions in it and am certainly not bothered by it in the least. This edit is a novel idea though…like the Ballad of John & Yoko edit from Australia(or was it New Zealand?)
well supposedly it was Universal that was the issue, and the Lennon camp didn't want to budge on releasing the song as is, but I'm sure there's more to it than that.
siveld

Post by siveld »

Regardless of the political arguments either way, which have no place here regardless, this is really well done! A lossless version would be great too, but probably not possible with the AI tools used.
I admit to slightly cringing when John calls out "Hit it!" before the solo in a song about slaves etc, but the connotation likely did not cross his mind.
And in the end, the love you make is equal to the love you take.