Michael Lindsay-Hogg's 'Let It Be' is coming!

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
cliftdean74

Re: Michael Lindsay-Hogg's 'Let It Be' is coming!

Post by cliftdean74 »

silvercup67 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:37 pm I still don't get the excitement here. Peter Jackson made the project not only watchable, but more exciting. At 8 hours!
This sounds like having a window, breaking the glass, replacing the window with a clean new piece of glass, and then asking to see the broken glass again.
There are some full performances in the original Let It Be film that were not included in the Get Back documentary. There's room for both films to exist in top quality.
Somnar

Post by Somnar »

silvercup67 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:37 pm I still don't get the excitement here. Peter Jackson made the project not only watchable, but more exciting. At 8 hours!
This sounds like having a window, breaking the glass, replacing the window with a clean new piece of glass, and then asking to see the broken glass again.
To my mind, Let It Be is the better film.
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

Rickenbacker325 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:55 pm It’ll definitely be cropped…they just can’t control themselves with that…it has to fill your TV screen…same goes for anything b&w…all has to be colorized…I’m hopeful judging by MLH asking for it to retain its “film” look through…
Lots of opinions and projections stated as fact here... I understand pessimism comes with age but let's also be a bit more clear about what is and isn't known to be true and how you (personally) expect it will turn out.
cdgm

Post by cdgm »

Somnar wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:33 pm
To my mind, Let It Be is the better film.
Yes, Let It Be is the better film. Many of us saw Let It Be in theaters in the 70’s, so we’re kind of fond of that. I’m guessing you didn’t since you have a negative view on it. Peter Jackson’s movie, to me, was an overlong documentary of outtakes OF a documentary. That documentary is Let It be. And that’s how Peter Jackson views it himself. The finished product this is all about is the movie Let it Be. It should stand on it’s own. And to many of us, it does. Also, Jackson avoided using footage that was already in Let It Be, so it's not like it will be duplicating much of Peter Jackson's work.
Last edited by cdgm on Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

harrylime wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:06 pm
Rickenbacker325 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:55 pm It’ll definitely be cropped…they just can’t control themselves with that…it has to fill your TV screen…same goes for anything b&w…all has to be colorized…I’m hopeful judging by MLH asking for it to retain its “film” look through…
Lots of opinions and projections stated as fact here... I understand pessimism comes with age but let's also be a bit more clear about what is and isn't known to be true and how you (personally) expect it will turn out.
True….but I wouldn’t bet a cent on it not being cropped….

If I’m wrong please correct me in a few weeks….. :D
O1Ghungary

Post by O1Ghungary »

Another Lindsay-Hogg film, on the Blu-ray release of 'Rock And Roll Circus' are both versions. The cropped widescreen and the original 4:3 ratio. The physical release may have the same here... maybe...
Derian the imp

Post by Derian the imp »

I can NOT wait to get a Blu Ray of this to FINALLY complete the collection!
I am the goddesses of Hell Fire!
billychildish

Post by billychildish »

Derian the imp wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:15 am I can NOT wait to get a Blu Ray of this to FINALLY complete the collection!
IMHO the "Help!" blu is watchable.
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

O1Ghungary wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:04 am Another Lindsay-Hogg film, on the Blu-ray release of 'Rock And Roll Circus' are both versions. The cropped widescreen and the original 4:3 ratio. The physical release may have the same here... maybe...
Hmmmm…I hope I am wrong because that’d be great
Last edited by Rickenbacker325 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Choking Smoker

Post by Choking Smoker »

I wonder how many don't realise that often things are filmed in a 4:3 aspect ratio with the deliberate intention for the final production to be cropped for the final release? It gives more flexibility as to how the final product can best be cropped. 'Widescreen' formats have long been preferred for cinema because they better suit our natural field of vision.

I run a YouTube channel that mainly features outdoor content and I still use this principle sometimes where I'll film in 4:3 (Which in this instance uses a full sensor readout from the sensor, different to film technology) and then crop down to 16:9 for a better viewing experience. It just gives me more flexibility.

Obviously I realise that any crop does not offer the full picture as recorded but surely the artistic intention of the creators means something ?

Now I'm all up for seeing the whole picture even if i much prefer watching widescreen formats, just like I like listening to takes of tracks that the artists never intended me to hear.

It's only when such cropping is presented as some kind of act of sacrilege that it annoys me. Yes they should go back to the original sources as much as possible and yes, they shouldn't crop more than was originally intended and yes it would be pretty easy for them to keep even us fanatics happy by giving us a full frame copy alongside the version that the artists wanted to give us. We have to remember that we represent the fanatics.
Last edited by Choking Smoker on Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.