Michael Lindsay-Hogg's 'Let It Be' is coming!

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
onemojofilter

Re: MLH's 'Let It Be' is coming!

Post by onemojofilter »

Nowhere Man9091 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:13 pm
beatlesondvd wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:01 pm
CharlesHawtrey wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:58 pm So nice of Macca to let you know in advance ;)
I said unimpeachable ;)
Unimpeachable…so the sourse must obliviously be Penn Gillette 😀
I enjoyed this exchange more than I care to admit.
My opinions are my own, but, my dog tends to agree with everything I say.
billychildish

Post by billychildish »

Maybe the source was Denis Eton-Hogg
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

I heard it was Let It Rot from The Rutles coming out finally hehe
Chris
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

It's about time,....way beyond about time for a legit LIB release. I'll certainly snap it up if it comes out. But I probably won't watch it too much, if at all. IMO, it is one of the biggest downers of a film ever released. I will always refer to that era in Beatle history the way George did,...The winter of our discontent.

Peej dressed it up and glossed it up for Get Back. Made the frames pop with almost unreal color. But I have yet to make it through that one all the way. While there are certainly some nice moments (the Beatles jamming with Yoko, Paul creating Get Back out of thin air,) there are numerous synching issues. And I can't shake the "winter of our discontent" vibe when I watch it. I still haven't sat through part 3.

Anyway, I am ever the completist, so if legit LIB happens, I'll be on it.

-Z
EdinSc

Post by EdinSc »

what will make it worthwhile, and watchable beyond one time, would be extra material -- and especially a "director's cut" with far fewer edits. Let us see the songs completed!!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I can't wait to see the SHF thread, with 675 pages worth of arguments about the cropping and grain reduction!

Myself I don't really care as neither really bothered me in Get Back. What I enjoyed in Get Back was all the stuff that they performed incidentally. The stuff that they were TRYING to record was and is a huge bore for me. I don't think any of those songs are much good except LIB and TLAWR and it must have been so boring just playing them over and over. No wonder they got aggro with each other. So I'm tentatively hoping there will be more oldies and jokey songs included as extras because that is the only thing I can get excited about.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
stereoman33

Post by stereoman33 »

So far ive been enjoying this version in stereo with nice pictures
https://m.vk.com/video-6371899_45624229 ... 76309_2633
silvercup67

Post by silvercup67 »

I dunno. I found Let It Be to be terrible. It completely omitted the dramatic highlight of the entire project...George quitting.
Peter Jackson's Get Back tells the real story of the project.

I have had a VHS copy for years btw.
Best Beatle day of my life.. September 1st, 2019.
Fun 4 None

Post by Fun 4 None »

EdinSc wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:40 pm what will make it worthwhile, and watchable beyond one time, would be extra material -- and especially a "director's cut" with far fewer edits. Let us see the songs completed!!
Unfortunately (per Peter Jackson's words) the black and white Michael Lindsay Hogg director's cut is long gone. It's possible Michael had a color director's cut but no one here would know.
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

If I recall correctly there wasn’t ever a “director’s cut”, that stands for a custom cut made by the director when the official cut(s) (often forced by the studio/distributor for having the final say) are deemed unsatisfactory. Think Apocalypse Now and all the recuts. Here we’re talking simply the draft or ‘rough’ cut made after the first editing stage, which is quite common to be longer than the final cut. Let alone easily discarded once rights holders have demanded specific parts to be cut, eg the other Beatles demanded a John and Yoko conversation to be chugged. That doesn’t mean however a tape copy doesn’t exists somewhere, we already saw parts on bootlegs, but it may not be worth it to rerelease. (edit: or they could recompile it from the original material, assuming nothing was lost there that did make the rough cut)
silvercup67 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:36 am I dunno. I found Let It Be to be terrible. It completely omitted the dramatic highlight of the entire project...George quitting.
Peter Jackson's Get Back tells the real story of the project.

I have had a VHS copy for years btw.
When I started out with The Beatles it was a big downer indeed, I watched it the first time with my girlfriend and we were simply depressed afterwards, it’s like the advise of never meeting your idols but this came in a close second. Whenever friends or family ask me to get proper copy for them to watch, I give them the Furmanek with Doug Sulpy’s commentary track tacked on by me as the second audio track. With the advise to try the commentary track for their first watch and think of it as a documentary, not a movie. They were all pleasantly surprised to get a glimpse into a Beatles period, basically a proto-Get Back, but also get a slightly ironic, down to earth narrator with it so that you are understanding how this end-product was basically a mishap. It goes to show how much your perception is influenced by the way it’s presented. I sincerely hope we’ll get nice commentary tracks for the re-release as well.