Has anyone watched Birth Of The Beatles on amazon?

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Lord Reith

Re: Has anyone watched Birth Of The Beatles on amazon?

Post by Lord Reith »

Yes it streams on amazon prime in the UK. For rental or purchase.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
silver_2000

Post by silver_2000 »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:15 am Yes it streams on amazon prime in the UK. For rental or purchase.
you're the expert, is it an actual upgrade?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

silver_2000 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:08 am
Lord Reith wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:15 am Yes it streams on amazon prime in the UK. For rental or purchase.
you're the expert, is it an actual upgrade?
I haven't seen it. That's why I posed the question! :lol:
slane

Post by slane »

[https://www.shutterstock.com/editorial/ ... n-9016778a][/img]

Pete Best on set with Ray Ashcroft (apparently, though it doesn't really look like him) who played Ringo in the film.

McKenna and Ashcroft were the two who best portrayed their characters in the film for me. The other two, not so much. 'George' later had a big part in Eastenders, I remember seeing 'John' show up in Coronation Street, and 'Ringo' had a part in The Bill. I think 'Astrid' showed up in Emmerdale(?) I never saw 'Paul' in anything else (seems like no soap opera wanted him :) ).

'Brian' (who I also though was quite good in the film) appeared in quite a few things on TV (including, I think, Play School).

I'd seen Help! on December 9th 1980 (my intro to The Beatles), got Rock N Roll Music Vol.1 after that and then this film was on. I liked it at the time but obviously the more you learn...

The Stu character seems to have had trouble maintaining his accent. He starts out Liverpudlian but that blow to the head must have given him much better diction :)
fab4gear

Post by fab4gear »

The BOTB movie on Prime is ok, but it's not great & it's also the cut version at only 102 minutes. Not the full thing which is 105 Minutes!
There was another post about this movie on here just recently!
"In My Life, I've Loved Them All "
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

fab4gear wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:47 pm The BOTB movie on Prime is ok, but it's not great & it's also the cut version at only 102 minutes. Not the full thing which is 105 Minutes!
There was another post about this movie on here just recently!
That's probably just the pal speedup which shaves off a few minutes.
fabwill

Post by fabwill »

Curiosity got the better of me and I sprang the £2.50 to hire it:

- Which version - I think it's the BBC 1994 version Nimbus referenced here viewtopic.php?t=8867&start=10
a) the opening text is on a black background rather than blue
b) the intro narration is British, rather than American.
c) the opening song is She Loves you and I thought that was only the case in the US. The closing song is incidental music.
d) The opening titles are over a gig scene, whereas on the version I have downloaded that I thought was European, the opening titles come up over scenes of Liverpool from above
e) Spooling ahead I can see the nude model in the art school scene is included

- It's been badly cropped into 4:3, with the result that some of the titles are cropped off at the edges (in the closing credits, most actor names are extreme left or right and first or last letters of their names are cropped)

- Picture quality - no better than we already had and probably worse. It might even be a rip from Nimbus' DVD
fab4gear

Post by fab4gear »

I didn't buy it either, I just rented it & watched it the once on Prime about a month ago, so I can't check it out again & there was no way of getting a copy. I tried to DL it from Amazon using TUNEPAT but it didn't work, but the quality was about the same as the VHS version & I 'm sure some of the nude scene was cut?
I have 5 different versions of this movie & not one of them is complete, there's always something missing out of one that is included in another & visa versa. In one version the art school nude scene is fully complete, in another it's partly edited & another it's cut so much that it's practically non existent & in another the whole of the art school sketch has been completely edited out.
"In My Life, I've Loved Them All "
BeatleG

Post by BeatleG »

After seeing this thread, I remembered I had a so so quality version of it (looked like someone taped it to VHS from TV) and watched it again last night. I actually only watched it once before, in the movie theater. Each person going in was given a drumstick, with the Beatles logo and the name of the movie on it, I think. I still have it but don't know where in the house it is. Don't remember if I liked Birth of the Beatles or not when it came out all those years ago, but last night I rather though it was pretty good. I give it a 6.5. As someone said (LR I think), the guy who played John did a good job and kind of looked like John. None of the other actors looked or sounded at all like the other Beatles. The songs didn't sound bad, but not much like the Beatles.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Okay, thanks fabwill. Sounds like a definite pass then.