King Elessar's "Free As A Bird", "Real Love" and "Grow Old With Me" Mixes

Fan created remixes and rare variations
King Elessar

Re: King Elessar's "Free As A Bird", "Real Love" and "Grow Old With Me" Mixes

Post by King Elessar »

What do you guys think of these edits of Grow Old With Me:

hxxps://mega.nz/file/mAgF0LyY#wKtn4Atfk ... q_Zs8rFVsU

hxxps://mega.nz/file/uJoymBrL#zDYHG6y9V ... qM9rd4AYmU

I have two versions here, both have John's vocals at a much lower pitch than in the original file, with the second edit being slightly lower than the first. I am leaning towards the latter one being the better of the two but I admit I am biased so please give me your thoughts on these edits. Thanks :)
King Elessar

Post by King Elessar »

BeatleGuy1949 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:40 pm Thank you for sharing these tracks King Elessar
No problem, thank you very much 👍
Somnar

Post by Somnar »

Maccawings wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 pm GOWM is a little rough to listen to, doesn't sound right to me. Is it me? Very distracting
Yes, vocal is in a completely different key from the backing track. Very rough listen.
Maccawings

Post by Maccawings »

Somnar wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:55 pm
Maccawings wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 pm GOWM is a little rough to listen to, doesn't sound right to me. Is it me? Very distracting
Yes, vocal is in a completely different key from the backing track. Very rough listen.
Thank you, thought I was going crazy. But regardless, thanks to the King for allowing us to hear it!
miggynav

Post by miggynav »

Thanks for sharing but aside from the different pitch, George's guitar doesn't belong there and might be better with just him doing a count in to the song.
Maccawings

Post by Maccawings »

As soon as folks start Frankensteining the tracks makes them more novelty songs rather than tracks that folks will use as their go to when official versions are already available
Rick

Post by Rick »

Thank you! I've always thought this "mash-up" of the different versions of GOWM was done very well, maybe it'd be a help to you as you tweak your version...

King Elessar

Post by King Elessar »

Rick wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:56 am Thank you! I've always thought this "mash-up" of the different versions of GOWM was done very well, maybe it'd be a help to you as you tweak your version...
Ah yes I've heard of this version! In fact it was this that initially got me invested in making by own attempt in the first place, it's a fantastic cover. The one thing that I do consider disappointing with it though is that there is no sample of George's guitar used, but overall it's the best edit I've seen. The lack of a guitar part was the first thing I went about adding to mine, and I did try to make a similar mashup to this video in the beginning of my project but could never figure out a way to cleanly isolate all the different instruments from the various releases. That's why I went for a simple combination between John's original vocals and the Ringo instrumental. It's nowhere near as good but it never could be.

However you did give me the idea to add a little snippet of John's voice to the start of the track, like how it is in the video. I got it from the "Gimme Some Truth" remix. I've now updated the link in the original post and added in a new edit of the song along with Cover art. The pitch has been corrected as per suggestions given by others here. Some of john's high notes ("Face the sETTing sUN" and others) could not be altered in an meaningful way, but to be honest I want to keep these parts as they show emotion and have a bit of charm to them. It was only a demo at the end of the day, John never got the chance to give the song more polish so I won't either.

I don't think I will be doing any more edits after this, my version was mostly complete anyways and I am fully satisfied with how it sounds now.