The Street Of Dreams

Wherever you are, you are here…
ksantus

The Street Of Dreams

Post by ksantus »

I'm reading "Starting Over" by Ken Sharp, about the recording of "Double Fantasy". I'm sure this must've been brought up before, but the track was mentioned as a lost song written initially by John back in The Beatle days but never finished. He and Jack Douglas are said to have worked on it during the sessions and made a recording of it. I've had very little luck on a preliminary jaunt through the internet on the subject.
Just wondering if anyone has more of a scoop on the track?

Kevin
Yellowsubmarine

Re: The Street Of Dreams

Post by Yellowsubmarine »

It's not available to us. :(
beatlesaint

Post by beatlesaint »

I think Jack Douglas is the only one who knows if it exists on a cassette somewhere or not.
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

ii thought Jack Douglas wiped the cassette after he died.
H on facebook someone said maybe someone ask him
Chris
MP3J

Post by MP3J »

A LOST SONG

Jack Douglas: John had a song that we never recorded and I would have been listed as the co-writer. It was called Street Of Dreams. After we left the studio we used to go to Rousseau Of London, which was the only place in New York where you could get a full English breakfast at two in the morning – grilled bread, greasy eggs, the whole bit. After we ate, we’d jump in the limo. We’d pass Carnegie Hall and I said to John, “You know what they call this?” And he said, “What?” And I said, “the Street Of Dreams”. At the turn of the century, all of the great musicians, opera singers, and the maestros were all on the street. People from all over the world came here to break into the industry.

He said, “I like that”. The next day, he said, “come meet me at the studio,” and we sat at the piano. We started working on a chorus to an existing verse of his. He said, “That’s a verse I’ve had since the Beatle days. “It was one he could never find a chorus for since the mid-60s. It was very cool. All I remember is the chorus went, “here on the street of dreams…” That was the opening line. The verse had a real Beatle-y feel. We made a little recording of it on the spot. Somewhere, there’s a cassette of it. I’ve never heard it again.

Jon Smith: John had a business meeting the night before on 57th Street. He told us when they walked out of the building it was night-time, and the concrete on 57th Street had little pieces of glass imbedded in it. He told us as he walked the lights would shine on these things and it would sparkle in a very magical way. It inspired him so much that he’d written a song called Street Of Dreams. He played it for us, and it was beautiful. He never recorded it as far as I know. I always wish we could have recorded it, because I remember it being lovely. Sometimes, years later, when I’d be falling asleep, I could almost remember what it sounded like.

from... https://recordcollectormag.com/articles ... le-fantasy
Applejam101

Post by Applejam101 »

I believe Chip Madinger says it no longer exists. 😢
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

One of the things I'd most like to hear is more of those Double Fantasy session running tapes (that were aired in bits on the Lost Lennon Tapes).

So far we have selected songs and chat, from vinyl source only.

Oh yeah, and all the rest of the Beatles session tapes! There is so much fun and madness on those and they still exist! We've heard snatches on the Deluxe boxes but there has got to be so much more...