Harry And His Box Set (V1, 2, 7, 10, 12, 15, 14 update.)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
harrythebannister

Re: Harry And His Box Set (V1, 2, 7, 10, 12, 15, 14 update.)

Post by harrythebannister »

Many of those first gen Beatles fans are getting to the age where they are passing away now and I believe more of this stuff will materialise unless their family trashes it. I reckon all of their Beeb appearances are out there somewhere, it’s just a matter of time before it surfaces.
ruedabeat

Post by ruedabeat »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:37 am

This is an update of V14. Thanks to the generous donation of a new off air tape of From us To You, three of the Beatles tracks (I'm Happy Just To Dance With You, Things We Said Today and I Should Have Known Better) have been substantially upgraded. Also heard for the first time in 60 years are some tracks by other artists in the show and a Beatles request for Sugar Pie DeSanto. I love Billy J's cover of the rocked-up blues classic "My Babe". The Animals' rough and ready cover of "House Of the Rising Sun" is another highlight. If the tape had only gone on ten minutes longer it would have caught their one and only recording of "My Favourite Things" (yes, the Julie Andrews song). Can't even imagine what that might have sounded like! And while The Overlanders may not be everyone's cup of tea (sounding uncannily like The Folksmen from A Mighty Wind) the ditty "Settle Down" has become a bit of an earworm for me. Hell, it's stuck in my head as I type this (STOP!!!) Anyway this is surely one of the most interesting tapes to turn up in the last few years and all our thanks go to the guys who rescued it. :)

Also included are some other things including yet another version of the continuity sheet to account for this updated volume and the fact that I somewhow managed to spell "Brian Matthew" wrong some 40 times. :roll:

Yes, all you need for a good night in. So "settle down" and get some listening in. Yeeha!

https://tinyurl.com/exp-21st-march
As always Great Bonus Items and other stuff. Thanks a lot Mr. LR. 8-)

PS. I Should Have Known Better (split vocals), that track really amazes me ! :o
Last edited by ruedabeat on Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soupsandwitch

Post by soupsandwitch »

Ziggy C wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:59 pm
Qwazi wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:39 pm I missed most of the set (with Covid) and was wondering if anyone was planning on putting up comprehensive links with the patches?
LR posted the comprehensive link(s) in the first entry of this thread.
-Z
This is fantastic, thanks so much to LR and everyone who contributed!!

Just to clarify though for those of us coming to this late: "Note that any patches contained in later volumes have not been applied and need to be done by you. The exception is V24 where you do not have to do anything."

What does this refer to? Are there patches for earlier volumes contained in later ones? If these links are finished and comprehensive what does this comment mean? Help appreciated!! :)
ted

Post by ted »

Egg_Crisis wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:12 pm
JoeWadley wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:49 pm We will a be waiting for the next tape that appears out of nowhere.
I was thinking the same myself. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more updates not too far in the future.
There's ALWAYS room for more updates, hopefully not too too far off in the future.

THANK YOU L.R....this is is indeed your platinum moment of all moments in the L.R. canyon.

ted
fab4gear

Post by fab4gear »

Thank You!
Another missing Jigsaw piece, found under the couch, has been fitted into the puzzle!
"In My Life, I've Loved Them All "
paulramon

Post by paulramon »

Once again, another HUGE debt of gratitude to our dear Lord for doing this. I know it's a labour of love, but the fact that he so graciously shares it with all of us is truly a gift, and I, for one, am extremely thankful.

Thank you again, kind sir.
Nowhere Man9091

Post by Nowhere Man9091 »

Now that we’ve all had a listen to tremendous upgrades from Lord Reith..is it just me, but in my head i can still hear where all the glitches, drop outs and other crappy noises were on those original BBC bootlegs from the 70’s.
Who’s that little old man?
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Nowhere Man9091 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:59 pm Now that we’ve all had a listen to tremendous upgrades from Lord Reith..is it just me, but in my head i can still hear where all the glitches, drop outs and other crappy noises were on those original BBC bootlegs from the 70’s.
Same here. When I taped the songs ‘only’ from The Beatles at the Beeb radio show in the UK (it was 2 hours long and I only had a 90 min tape) I accidentally pressed record during the solo of ‘Too Much Monkey Business’ when I was trying to listen to it a few months later (I’d forgot to remove the 2 tabs on the top of the tape that stops you recording over it). For years I had to put up with a couple of seconds of silence until I got the track on one of TR Service collection of bootlegs a few years later.

Even today, when listening to the same song, I can hear exactly where I pressed record back when I was 13 years old and am still surprised when the sound doesn’t disappear! 🫠
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
burningfool

Post by burningfool »

That Antiques Roadshow clip is great. Who thought a fretless guitar was a good idea? No wonder John (and then George) gave it away!

Thank you for this wonderful set. Hopefully this will continue to be traded by future Beatles fans for many years to come. You have given us a great archival gift. Well done.
Rubberswan

Post by Rubberswan »

The Billy J Kramer version of My Babe sounds as if it was recorded after Mick Green jumped ship from Johnny Kidd and the Pirates. Compare the Johnny Kidd tracks on HAHBS08 with the Dakotas tracks on the new HAHBS14. Also check out The Pirates (minus Johnny Kidd) version of My Babe on YouTube. Good stuff.
"The rubber swan is mine" - Vaughn Meader, The First Family, 1962