Strawberry Fields WIP Reel (1989 Cancelled Pseudo-Sequel To Yellow Submarine)

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
etk01

Strawberry Fields WIP Reel (1989 Cancelled Pseudo-Sequel To Yellow Submarine)

Post by etk01 »

This is a big discovery but thirty minutes of work-in-progress footage from a 1989 pseudo-sequel to Yellow Submarine has been recently discovered so check it out (there's a bit of Fab Four music and covers of their songs in there)...

Further information here for those who didn't know about this along with character sketches and such.
therowdyman

Re: Strawberry Fields WIP Reel (1989 Cancelled Pseudo-Sequel To Yellow Submarine)

Post by therowdyman »

Wow!!! I never thought there was more than 10 minutes of rough screen tests. If this was finished, it would have been released just before Live At The BBC. Either perfect timing to the renewed 90s interest in the band or too early.

It's not fair to judge the look of the film based on rough animation tests. It gives Don Bluth vibes which is apt for the late 80s, but it doesn't seem to have much of a story. I know Yellow Submarine didn't either, but it got by with the fantastic animation and the charm of the characters. I'm not getting that from this film. If anything, characters like FlatTop seem like cynical attempts to appeal to pre-teens (and let's face it, would have been dated by the early 90s when this would have been finished).

Also seems like they were testing the waters between a cover's movie and real Beatles recordings. The likely choice would have been covers.
Gredel21

Re: Strawberry Fields WIP Reel (1989 Cancelled Pseudo-Sequel To Yellow Submarine)

Post by Gredel21 »

very interesting footage of Strawberry fields .... maybe someone will pick up the pieces and finish this concept...
Greg
Applejam101

Post by Applejam101 »

I remember watching Yellow Submarine on tv in the 1980s and it was hosted by someone involved with the film and he made a comment that a new animated film was being made and he gave a hint of the name by biting into a strawberry.
silver_2000

Post by silver_2000 »

etk01 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:39 am This is a big discovery but thirty minutes of work-in-progress footage from a 1989 pseudo-sequel to Yellow Submarine has been recently discovered so check it out (there's a bit of Fab Four music and covers of their songs in there)...

Further information here for those who didn't know about this along with character sketches and such.
This is plain awesome!