Beatles' Little Richard tribute BBC stereo new art

Fan created remixes and rare variations
EdinSc

Beatles' Little Richard tribute BBC stereo new art

Post by EdinSc »

I was correctly informed that "Clarabella" was not a Little Richard song. However, experts agree Paul did emulate Richard's style for the Beatles BBC recording. So. I've added an asterisk and a note to the artwork.

Here's the rockingest EP you'll ever hear: The Fab Four play songs Little Richard made famous. There are two "Lucilles" (second one has the clean intro edit by Lord Reith), two "Kansas Citys" (have to admit, I was unaware until some research this version originated with Richard) and two "Long Tall Sallys" (well, it's a fitting opener and closer!) Yes, I know this compilation is all McCartney lead vocals, but his voice best matched Richard's. Would love to hear the missing Beatles' performance of "Tutti Fruiti" (wonder who sang lead?) Anyway, this project is one I really wanted to do, and it's a great preview of Melvin's stereo mixes yet to be posted! Play really loud! (the download now includes the adjusted artwork)

LINK ----> hXXps://drive.google.com/file/d/1pPiVTGJC4Bc48pgJD0XIDWWoH500CDoe/view?usp=sharing
Last edited by EdinSc on Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ruedabeat

Re: Beatles' Little Richard tunes BBC stereo

Post by ruedabeat »

Thanks a lot !!! 8-)
Petsounds1966x

Post by Petsounds1966x »

Fun idea. But Little Richard did not record “Clarabella”. If these are songs “Little Richard made famous”, not sure why that one is included.
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

AWESOME share EdinSC - Thank you ...... and ... The Tower Ballroom gig took place on the night of my 1st Birthday !!!!
EdinSc

Post by EdinSc »

Thanks, Petsounds, for the note on Clarabella. I'm now checking further and it appears you are correct. But I swear that I heard long ago it was a Little Richard song, and it certainly sounds like his style. Should I remove it from the project?
EdinSc

Post by EdinSc »

I found this on a YouTube page, crediting Beatles Bible ---- The Jodimars were formed in America in 1955 by past members of Bill Haley’s Comets. They had left Haley’s group following a salary dispute; their name came from the first names of founding members Joey Ambrose, Dick Bocelli and Marshall Lytle.
‘Clarabella’ was The Jodimars’ fifth US single, released in November 1956. It was not a chart success, but a copy evidently found its way into The Beatles’ hands.

In contrast to the slower, Elvis-style original, The Beatles’ version of ‘Clarabella’ was a souped-up rocker, complete with the first recorded outing for Paul McCartney’s Little Richard impersonation.

Although it was never recorded by the group for EMI, McCartney has suggested that the song was put forward as a possible cover version. Talking about the songs recorded for the BBC, he said: "I think we probably played them all to George [Martin] and said, ‘How about this one?’ ‘Clarabella’ was one."
Paul McCartney
The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions, Mark Lewisohn
Credit Beatles Bible

Perhaps a note should be added to the Oh Baby Baby! artwork
Petsounds1966x

Post by Petsounds1966x »

That’s up to you, but at the very least you should update the text on your art :)

If you decide to keep it, then you’re just making a collection of BBC songs where Paul uses a Little Richard-style vocal approach. If you go that route, you might as well throw “Hippy Hippy Shake” on there too.
Claude_de_Faux

Re: Beatles' Little Richard tribute BBC stereo new art

Post by Claude_de_Faux »

Thank you !
jpa

Post by jpa »

Love the concept - and good with Clarabella there!
bulldog1969

Post by bulldog1969 »

Thank you ! :D