Harry And His Box Set (V1, 2, 7, 10, 12, 15, 14 update.)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Spaniard in da Works

Re: Harry And His Box Set

Post by Spaniard in da Works »

C90 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:49 am Past Masters though - they were indeed a lost opportunity, those cover 'designs' could be used for literally any artist. Or just a CD-ROM of academia/ data.
Oh, my god, yes. I remember seeing it when it came out, and the fact that it was in the record section of a department store was the only indication that it was not a bootleg. From the title, to the color scheme, to the only visual being the Beatles dropped-T logo, which before Past Masters never appeared in any place else than Ringo's bass drum and wasn't the "official" logo it is now, everything screamed "cheapo scam", not "indispensable 14th album for your complete collection". It's kinda like only after putting it together for the CD box set they realised it was an album in it own right.
Doug

Post by Doug »

"Oh, my god, yes. I remember seeing it when it came out, and the fact that it was in the record section of a department store was the only indication that it was not a bootleg."

I remember thinking the same thing about "John Lennon Acoustic."
robbmacc

Post by robbmacc »

I remember thinking that because of Past Masters was mostly singles, that some variation of the portrait and baby pictures used on SFF/PL single could have been used.

Also, Rarities could've used the butcher cover in some form (even covered in a paper bag).

And the movie album could've used collage of the lobby cards (front) and posters (gatefold).
JoeWadley

Post by JoeWadley »

Beatles covers are so iconic, right up through the red and blue albums. After that it is clear no one spent much time on them. Not the Beatles, or Apple management, or whoever was paid to “design” them. It’s kind of shocking, really. With Past Masters being at the stage someone saying, “whatever, get them printed.” They make house label cans of corn look like works of art.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I've also found a bit more of The Public Ear with Ringo reading some of the credits (just after George).
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
JoeWadley

Post by JoeWadley »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:07 pm I've also found a bit more of The Public Ear with Ringo reading some of the credits (just after George).
It is amazing how new stuff keeps coming to light. Harry is going to have some new friends.
Much2Much

Post by Much2Much »

Lord Reith, Thank you so much for the much improved Beautiful Dreamer album and for regularly spoiling us with your excellent treats.
jackb

Post by jackb »

Lord Reith, Is the plan to re-do the Harry and His Box Set or to issue a collection of newly found material? Just wondering.

Jack
Spaniard in da Works

Post by Spaniard in da Works »

robbmacc wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:25 pm I remember thinking that because of Past Masters was mostly singles, that some variation of the portrait and baby pictures used on SFF/PL single could have been used.
...Which was precisely one of the singles that were not included :mrgreen:

Don't get me wrong, the Magical Mystery Tour album version is one of my most favourite albums ever, but I always felt that having all the 1967 singles there left a strange gap in Past Masters between Rain and Lady Madonna.
Rondordrecht193

Post by Rondordrecht193 »

Lord Reith thank you!
Last edited by Rondordrecht193 on Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.