Harry And His Box Set (V1, 2, 7, 10, 12, 15, 14 update.)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Rondordrecht193

Re: Harry And His Box Set

Post by Rondordrecht193 »

thanks a million for all these wonderful songs ... Is the Beeb on Boxing Day 1983, Brian Mathew narrates The Beatles At Christmas. still available for download?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Also I think the fact that the Beatleg cover designers were Americans made a big difference. In a way a lot of the Beatleg covers of the 80s were in the same style as American albums of the 60s. There's probably a name for it but I don't know what it is. A kind of simple no-bullshit approach I guess. The only official post 1970 cover I really like is "On Air" for that reason. But they missed a trick by colourising the whole picture and not just The Beatles. If they'd left the background in monochrome it would have emphasised the difference between The Beatles and what came before.
popsmini.jpg
popsmini.jpg (278.91 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
TELEGRAM SAM

Post by TELEGRAM SAM »

Great cassette cover. Thank you for posting this.
dmh84

Post by dmh84 »

Plus, it makes them "pop!"
jpa

Post by jpa »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:40 pm Also I think the fact that the Beatleg cover designers were Americans made a big difference. In a way a lot of the Beatleg covers of the 80s were in the same style as American albums of the 60s. There's probably a name for it but I don't know what it is. A kind of simple no-bullshit approach I guess. The only official post 1970 cover I really like is "On Air" for that reason. But they missed a trick by colourising the whole picture and not just The Beatles. If they'd left the background in monochrome it would have emphasised the difference between The Beatles and what came before.

popsmini.jpg
I've always loved this photo - it marks a transition from something to something big!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Well I've sorted through most of Caroline's tapes and found a number of interesting things. Firstly as I suspected she is the one who taped the snippets from the first two Side By Side appearances. These were thought by many (including me) to be "samplers" with the complete versions being hoarded by someone. But, sadly, no. She would skip songs that she already had on disc and would just record the chat, and later on went back and recorded over some of the songs as they came out on record. So sadly those snippets are all that is currently known to exist.

A surprise! Caroline is the one who taped "A Taste Of Honey" from people And Places in 1962. The whole song was taped by her but the first half recorded over. :( But we can thanks her for this marvelous little snippet.

Caroline is also the person who taped John and George on Juke Box Jury, the "Going Up" segment from easybeat in early 1963 and the 1965 Blackpool appearance that first circulated in the 80s. The latter now exists on film but the other three are the only known copies.

But now onto the new undiscovered stuff! :D

- John's missing intro to She Loves You from sat Club August 1963 where he jokes around with Brian Mathew and reads a request in his own inimitable way. Quite lengthy and very funny. I am chuffed to find this because I was really upset it is missing from Harry.

- George talking about Hamburg from the 1963 BBC programme "Mach Scau Wacker"

- An unidentified broadcast of John joking and reading a request for the record of No Reply. Can't figure out where this might have come from.

- Completely new interview recorded on their return from Paris with a lady. Obviously a BBC radio or tv broadcast but can't identify it yet either. Goes for a few minutes.

- TV report of them chosen to appear on the Royal Variety leading into the interview with Peter Woods

- John Dunn introduces Long Tall Sally on Side By Side. This is the end of the sequence where Paul talks about Hamburg. Sadly some of their chat was not recorded.

There are lots of other chat items but they are all accounted for in better quality. But I hope you'll agree this is all a great find. :) Many thanks to jgjohnson for transferring the original cassettes made by Caroline. When I have sorted it all out into the original order (it was changed when dubbed from reel to cassette) I will post it here.
TELEGRAM SAM

Post by TELEGRAM SAM »

Magnificent finds! The "Saturday Club" John intro is certainly a great find. Thank you for listing your discoveries on the cassettes. I am looking forward very much to hearing them. Thank you for your hard work sorting the tapes out.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Also is an audio recording of their tv appearance with Ken Dodd which seems to be longer than what I've heard before. One interesting thing is that George calling suggesting the name "Sod" is present and correct. Some of you may recall a heated discussion on SHF ten years ago where it was suggested that this part couldn't have been aired because "sod" was such a terrible dirty word in 1963. :roll:

Also coverage of the Variety Club awards. Not sure if this includes stuff not included in the Pathe footage but it does seem to go on for quite a long time so probably.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:43 am Past Masters. Another depressing black cover! Remember, someone actually got paid to come up with this.
If I remember correctly, they actually claimed they didn't use a picture of The Beatles because they didn't have any.
Right. Uh, huh.

Sigh.

Looking forward to the Caroline tapes, LR. :D
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Doug wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:52 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:43 am Past Masters. Another depressing black cover! Remember, someone actually got paid to come up with this.
If I remember correctly, they actually claimed they didn't use a picture of The Beatles because they didn't have any.
Right. Uh, huh.

Sigh.
Yes, well that's true. Photographs of the Beatles are extremely rare. I think I've only ever seen one, and that was poor quality in an underground magazine. And I'm a big fan - I have all their original albums on x-rays.
Looking forward to the Caroline tapes, LR. :D
Oh Caroline, no. :lol: