Harry And His Box Set (V1, 2, 7, 10, 12, 15, 14 update.)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Rubberswan

Re: Harry And His Box Set

Post by Rubberswan »

I never had Beautiful Dreamer, but the Youngblood vinyl boot runs it close for poor audio. Those were the days!
"The rubber swan is mine" - Vaughn Meader, The First Family, 1962
rafael_szot

Post by rafael_szot »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:23 am Here is an upgrade of All Together On The Wireless Machine, edited together from two different radio specials in 1972 and 2009. Thanks to fab4gear for his help.

http://tinyurl.com/exp-feb-16
I missed for one day. A re-up, please?
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

rafael_szot wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:29 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:23 am Here is an upgrade of All Together On The Wireless Machine, edited together from two different radio specials in 1972 and 2009. Thanks to fab4gear for his help.

http://tinyurl.com/exp-feb-16
I missed for one day. A re-up, please?
hxxps://we.tl/t-qNVqDY5c4t
Rondordrecht193

Post by Rondordrecht193 »

is there a link so that we can download the whole fantastic 'Harry' set in one download? this is the most wonderful gift from the good Lord!!!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

beatlesondvd wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:12 pm So they made up a tune, recycling the melody of the just-released "Hello, Goodbye", and pretended it was Paul singing it. I'll admit it's a pretty good imitation.
Don't agree sorry, I think it's Paul speaking and singing as sure as night follows day. We don't know when it was recorded, it could have been done at any time anywhere.
Rondordrecht193 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:16 pm is there a link so that we can download the whole fantastic 'Harry' set in one download? this is the most wonderful gift from the good Lord!!!
I think both the uploads at the start of the thread have a "download all" option.
Rubberswan wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:57 pm I never had Beautiful Dreamer, but the Youngblood vinyl boot runs it close for poor audio. Those were the days!
Yeah I was NOT impressed with that one at all. For starters, I already had the rubbish recording of "It's The Beatles" on side 2 on another boot ("December '63", which I'd wasted my rarified pocket money on a few months earlier). But then i found that the other tracks were either (1) Decca tracks, or (2) incomplete! I was really ticked off.

Nice cover though.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
C90

Post by C90 »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:51 pm Nice cover though.
I agree - a real selling point for me. I'm a sucker for the pastiche 'official' album artwork that bootleggers began to adopt in the late 70s/ early 80s.
I drooled over many an LP in dealers' racks during the 80s, unable (or unwilling) to commit my hard-earned £10-15, and 'Youngblood' was one of them.

Thankfully the years passed, disposable income increased, and, er, the emergence of the internet allowed mail order from dealers around the world, and I managed to acquire this and a few other lovingly-packaged (if average sounding!) boot LPs... ('Not Guilty', 'Beatles at the Beeb' series, the NEMS label stuff, etc)
ted

Post by ted »

Rondordrecht193 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:16 pm is there a link so that we can download the whole fantastic 'Harry' set in one download? this is the most wonderful gift from the good Lord!!!
Go to page one of this thread and look for L.R.'s first post...has links to grab everything at the end of that same first post.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

C90 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:04 am I agree - a real selling point for me. I'm a sucker for the pastiche 'official' album artwork that bootleggers began to adopt in the late 70s/ early 80s.
I drooled over many an LP in dealers' racks during the 80s, unable (or unwilling) to commit my hard-earned £10-15, and 'Youngblood' was one of them.
Yes, the beatleg artwork was always way more attractive than the official compilations. The Beatles were four of the most photogenic people in history... literally all you needed to do was slap some nice photos together with some text and you had a great eye catching album cover. But this simple truth completely eluded EMI for decades. Just some of the horrible, horrible official covers we had:

Love Songs. Crikey. Literally a shit coloured cover with a tiny unfamiliar photo in the centre.

Rarities. Royal Blue. Nothing else. Oh, hang on... the title in gold.

Greatest Hits. Every country seemed to have a different cover, and each was worse than the other.

Beatles Ballads. A painting of something vaguely resembling the four Beatles.

Reel Music. Garish badly drawn cartoon cover.

The Essential Beatles (Australia). An almost completely black cover. Like Spinal tap said, "It's so black it's like... how could it get more blacker?"

Rarities (US). Revolting lavender cover with yet another small polaroid stuck in the centre.

Love. Bright canary yellow this time. With more cartoonish characters (for the third time)

Rock And Roll Music. based on a perfectly good photo which would have made a great cover. But, no, let's turn it into another cartoon.

Live At The BBC. Another shit coloured cover! As someone said at the time, it was 1960s Britain, not the American wild west. No need for the sepia tint.

Past Masters. Another depressing black cover! Remember, someone actually got paid to come up with this.

I think I'll stop now because it's getting sad. I just can't figure out why some guys in their bedrooms could make better covers with magazine cut outs than the art department of a major record company.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

Thanks M'Lord for the "Beautiful Dreamer" share .......
C90

Post by C90 »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:43 am Yes, the beatleg artwork was always way more attractive than the official compilations. The Beatles were four of the most photogenic people in history... literally all you needed to do was slap some nice photos together with some text and you had a great eye catching album cover. But this simple truth completely eluded EMI for decades. Just some of the horrible, horrible official covers we had:

Love Songs. Crikey. Literally a shit coloured cover with a tiny unfamiliar photo in the centre.

Rarities. Royal Blue. Nothing else. Oh, hang on... the title in gold.

Greatest Hits. Every country seemed to have a different cover, and each was worse than the other.

Beatles Ballads. A painting of something vaguely resembling the four Beatles.

Reel Music. Garish badly drawn cartoon cover.

The Essential Beatles (Australia). An almost completely black cover. Like Spinal tap said, "It's so black it's like... how could it get more blacker?"

Rarities (US). Revolting lavender cover with yet another small polaroid stuck in the centre.

Love. Bright canary yellow this time. With more cartoonish characters (for the third time)

Rock And Roll Music. based on a perfectly good photo which would have made a great cover. But, no, let's turn it into another cartoon.

Live At The BBC. Another shit coloured cover! As someone said at the time, it was 1960s Britain, not the American wild west. No need for the sepia tint.

Past Masters. Another depressing black cover! Remember, someone actually got paid to come up with this.

I think I'll stop now because it's getting sad. I just can't figure out why some guys in their bedrooms could make better covers with magazine cut outs than the art department of a major record company.
Ha, yes - every one of the Beatles' original LPs had a classic cover, some ground-breaking, and the albums released in their wake left much to be desired. Although I personally liked the sepia Live at the BBC package, and the US Rarities at least had decent sleeve notes, a gatefold sleeve and printed inner with lots of images, unlike the blue cover version.
Past Masters though - they were indeed a lost opportunity, those cover 'designs' could be used for literally any artist. Or just a CD-ROM of academia/ data.