Harry And His Box Set (V1, 2, 7, 10, 12, 15, 14 update.)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Lord Reith

Re: Harry And His Box Set

Post by Lord Reith »

I wonder where this song was recorded. Paul's house? He has a piano, and some of the chords are actually from Hello Goodbye so I'm also wondering which came first, the chicken or the egg? Did Wireless come first and then in the tradition of good housekeeping he just recycled that part for Hello Goodbye? Remember that HG started life with Paul demonstrating to Peter Brown how to write a song, riffing on "You say yes, I say no". Did he borrow this chord sequence from the jingle? It seems unlikely to me that Paul would write HG *first* and then use part of it for Wireless Machine. Why do that? Why not just write a whole new jingle? Or was that chord sequence kicking around previously and utilised for both Wireless Machine and HG?

I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice the marked similarity between this song and Please Don't Bring Your Banjo Back.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
eclipsed1

Post by eclipsed1 »

And interestingly, the Hello Goodbye chorus recycles the verse from For No One.....
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

eclipsed1 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:56 am And interestingly, the Hello Goodbye chorus recycles the verse from For No One.....
Yes, I made a funny mashup of that. :lol:
CultTVman

Post by CultTVman »

I hate to ask this... but is this really Paul? Or is Kenny pulling our leg? I'm stuck in the middle. It is contemporary with Hello Goodbye, so it is possible. The vocals are reflective of McCartney as heard on the Christmas tape. Or is it just Kenny goofing around?

Can someone ask Paul? Please?
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

Many thanks M'Lord for this AWESOME share .......
bonniegreg

Post by bonniegreg »

Sure sounds like Paul to me. Kenny is pissing around with a Spike Milligan type harmony vocal. I don't think I've ever heard Kenny sing without a comedic approach. He's not know for being a piano player either. I also think Paul would have written the jingle first and was probably playing that piano sequence for a while before using it for Hello Goodbye. Just my opinion.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

To me it sounds like Paul is singing the lyrics and Kenny is doing the "ba ba ba ba" and the falsetto stuff. But I'm not sure if Kenny's stuff is overdubbed or whether he was there. Certainly there's a lot of overdubbing at the end.

I always thought it was Paul but if you listen to the Magical Mystery Tour special on that disc, Chris Denning says at the very end "Sing, Paul!" and the song starts to play. I don't think Chris or Kenny would actually have pretended it was a recording by Paul... that would be going too far. It was played quite a lot I believe as a jingle for their show. Besides, they had full access to the boys, so why fake it when you can ask them to do a real one? They were quite happy to make up the "goodbye kenny" jingle in 1968.

I actually always really liked this tune. It's a classic pub song of the 40s/50s era. You can see where Paul is going with it.
zzz777

Post by zzz777 »

Lord,
thanks a lot for the upgrade!!
:D
Lord Reith wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:23 am Here is an upgrade of All Together On The Wireless Machine, edited together from two different radio specials in 1972 and 2009. Thanks to fab4gear for his help.

http://tinyurl.com/exp-feb-16
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

While going through some old cassettes from the late 70s, I found a 45 minute tape that was going around at this time sourced from a lady named Caroline Ellis who seems to have recorded odd songs off the Beeb starting with the first Saturday Club in January 63. It provided the raw material for some bootlegs of the time like Beautiful Dreamer, and also all the, erm, "lesser quality" songs that padded out the American version of the Beatles At The Beeb show in 1982.

Anyway, the complete tape has never been published so I was wondering if there is any interest? These are not upgrades in any sense. They are in fact downgrades. But for years they were the only versions available and then usually only incomplete so I thought it might be worth putting up for historical reasons. If nothing else it'll remind you of how far we've come. Some of the culprits include I'll Be On My Way, I'm Talking About You, That's Alright Mama and alternate unheard sources for things like Beautiful Dreamer.

While doing this I also realised that there was also another person who recorded bits and pieces that are familiar to me. I think a lot or most of these are what comprises the "Joe Pope Tape" that got booted, but there might be some extra ones going from what I heard. This tape provided the source material for early BBC boots like Yellow Matter Custard and Outtakes.
vinylwall

Post by vinylwall »

I'd love to hear the tape.