The Beatles - Yellow Submarine (HD 16mm Scan)

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
DVWerks

Re: The Beatles - Yellow Submarine (HD 16mm Scan)

Post by DVWerks »

Thank you for the scan of the 16mm film! This inspired me to start on a project I have wanted to do for a while - putting together a package with both versions of the film and all the audio tracks that have been available over the years.

I am one of the people who swears by the "widescreen" aspect ratio of the film, but with the 16mm version, I have a reference for the full image on the film and I can build on top of that with the other "full frame" video releases and show as much of the image as possible. In order to do this, I pulled in a variety of sources and started lining them up in Davinci Resolve. This has been a fascinating process so far because it reveals some oddities in how the film was presented on video.

For example, I knew of one shot in the 1999 version (at the start of "When I'm 64") that was "slipped" and started a couple seconds late; the first part of the shot is still there - it's just at the end. Now I've found one near the start of the film too.

Most frustratingly, I also discovered a couple seconds of footage missing on the Blu-ray near the opening of the film, right as the Blue Meanies drop the bubble on Sgt. Pepper's band and the citizens start running. The gap is taken up with a repeat another set of shots. Very bizarre.

I wanted to put something out as a taste of the work I'm doing. So I jumped forward to the "All You Need Is Love" segment and made a side-by-side comparison showing the original and revised cuts of the song.

Link to view/download:
hxxps://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/s1iopisy1qicqu9h ... j0qph&dl=0

This process has also given me a crash course in dealing with mixed frame rates. Some material is at 25fps, some at 24 and some at 23.976 (US speed to be compatible with NTSC standards). I have a capture that was done from a PAL VHS of the 1999 version, which was full frame rather than letterboxed. That conforms well to the timeline I am working with.

Something seems to be off with the 1988 laserdisc transfer mentioned in this thread, however. When played on its own, it looks like a very clean conversion from interlaced 29.97 frames per second video to 23.976 progressive frame video. However, when played next to the video from the official Blu-ray or the previously mentioned 1999 VHS capture, there are definitely missing and/or duplicated frames throughout. I think I have another video captured from the 1988 laserdisc, but it is not as clean. I will have to do some experiments to see if I can convert (reverse telecine) that to the original film frame rate.

Also, I haven't done a full comparison of the single file of this 16mm transfer to the two raw files, but I wonder if a time interpolation problem crept in. I noticed the raw scan frame rate reports as 24 frames per second where the full version of the print reports 23.976 frames per second. If indeed the source scans are in a 24 fps timeline but output as 23.976, I'm suspecting the time difference was made up by dropping a frame approximately once every 50 seconds. I know there are parts missing in the print that was scanned, but comparing to the blu-ray version, there are single frames missing throughout - approximately every 50 seconds or so. That seems like a video problem rather than the actual film print missing one frame.

I may have to put this project aside for a few weeks, but I do plan to keep working on it when I have spare time. I may next work through the rest of the sequences following "All You Need Is Love" where the other changes to the film were made.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

That was very interesting to see the edit differences side by side. Thanks for your efforts!
therowdyman

Post by therowdyman »

Thanks for uploading! This is big!

We know they won't, but it would be great if Apple would include the original internation cut in a 4K UHD release. The International Cut is what second and third generation fans grew up with. Miss hearing "BEATLES TO BATTLE!!!"

The 16mm also features the original mono soundtrack (which Apple botched on the DVD and BluRay by having the pitch risen or leaving in stereo mixes). The Laserdisc contains the original international edit but has the 1960s stereo versions of the songs.
DVWerks

Post by DVWerks »

therowdyman wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:05 amThe 16mm also features the original mono soundtrack (which Apple botched on the DVD and BluRay by having the pitch risen or leaving in stereo mixes). The Laserdisc contains the original international edit but has the 1960s stereo versions of the songs.
Actually, the version on the 16mm print is the revised edit not the original. I do think you are correct that this is the international release, I seem to recall they revised the cut (mainly removing "Hey Bulldog") before it was released anywhere outside the UK.

Also regarding the mono soundtrack, the Blu-ray does seem to have the accurate mono mix. I will know more as I work through my project of comparing all the versions. At the very least, I pulled the mono from the Blu-ray for my "All You Need Is Love" comparison, and I'm positive that section is genuine.

Interestingly, one of the versions of "Yellow Submarine" I have is a TV broadcast from 1988 where the image is the same as the laserdisc master, but the audio is the original mono track. Unfortunately, the audio quality from the VHS recording is lacking due to noise and compressed dynamic range. I'd love to have another broadcast like that turn up with Hi-Fi audio.
DVWerks

Post by DVWerks »

DVWerks wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:14 amAlso, I haven't done a full comparison of the single file of this 16mm transfer to the two raw files, but I wonder if a time interpolation problem crept in. I noticed the raw scan frame rate reports as 24 frames per second where the full version of the print reports 23.976 frames per second. If indeed the source scans are in a 24 fps timeline but output as 23.976, I'm suspecting the time difference was made up by dropping a frame approximately once every 50 seconds. I know there are parts missing in the print that was scanned, but comparing to the blu-ray version, there are single frames missing throughout - approximately every 50 seconds or so. That seems like a video problem rather than the actual film print missing one frame.
Follow-up on this observation. There are frames in the raw scan that are missing from the cropped and color corrected video. The time gap between dropped frames seems to be 41 seconds and 16 frames.

By the way, putting the raw scan against the color corrected one shows how good a color correction that was done. It obviously can't look like the Blu-ray because of limitations of the source (which had probably faded to a reddish color), but at least the balance brought it closer to a real film print.
therowdyman

Post by therowdyman »

DVWerks wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:03 am
therowdyman wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:05 amThe 16mm also features the original mono soundtrack (which Apple botched on the DVD and BluRay by having the pitch risen or leaving in stereo mixes). The Laserdisc contains the original international edit but has the 1960s stereo versions of the songs.
Actually, the version on the 16mm print is the revised edit not the original. I do think you are correct that this is the international release, I seem to recall they revised the cut (mainly removing "Hey Bulldog") before it was released anywhere outside the UK.

Also regarding the mono soundtrack, the Blu-ray does seem to have the accurate mono mix. I will know more as I work through my project of comparing all the versions. At the very least, I pulled the mono from the Blu-ray for my "All You Need Is Love" comparison, and I'm positive that section is genuine.

Interestingly, one of the versions of "Yellow Submarine" I have is a TV broadcast from 1988 where the image is the same as the laserdisc master, but the audio is the original mono track. Unfortunately, the audio quality from the VHS recording is lacking due to noise and compressed dynamic range. I'd love to have another broadcast like that turn up with Hi-Fi audio.
I did mean the 16mm of the original mono of the International Cut, but yes, that's missing "Hey Bulldog". I haven't watched my Blu-Ray to check, but I got my information from Maul's Complete Studio and Home Recording Guide.
Derian the imp

Post by Derian the imp »

DVWerks wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:14 am Thank you for the scan of the 16mm film! This inspired me to start on a project I have wanted to do for a while - putting together a package with both versions of the film and all the audio tracks that have been available over the years.

I am one of the people who swears by the "widescreen" aspect ratio of the film, but with the 16mm version, I have a reference for the full image on the film and I can build on top of that with the other "full frame" video releases and show as much of the image as possible. In order to do this, I pulled in a variety of sources and started lining them up in Davinci Resolve. This has been a fascinating process so far because it reveals some oddities in how the film was presented on video.

For example, I knew of one shot in the 1999 version (at the start of "When I'm 64") that was "slipped" and started a couple seconds late; the first part of the shot is still there - it's just at the end. Now I've found one near the start of the film too.

Most frustratingly, I also discovered a couple seconds of footage missing on the Blu-ray near the opening of the film, right as the Blue Meanies drop the bubble on Sgt. Pepper's band and the citizens start running. The gap is taken up with a repeat another set of shots. Very bizarre.

I wanted to put something out as a taste of the work I'm doing. So I jumped forward to the "All You Need Is Love" segment and made a side-by-side comparison showing the original and revised cuts of the song.

Link to view/download:
hxxps://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/s1iopisy1qicqu9h ... j0qph&dl=0

This process has also given me a crash course in dealing with mixed frame rates. Some material is at 25fps, some at 24 and some at 23.976 (US speed to be compatible with NTSC standards). I have a capture that was done from a PAL VHS of the 1999 version, which was full frame rather than letterboxed. That conforms well to the timeline I am working with.

Something seems to be off with the 1988 laserdisc transfer mentioned in this thread, however. When played on its own, it looks like a very clean conversion from interlaced 29.97 frames per second video to 23.976 progressive frame video. However, when played next to the video from the official Blu-ray or the previously mentioned 1999 VHS capture, there are definitely missing and/or duplicated frames throughout. I think I have another video captured from the 1988 laserdisc, but it is not as clean. I will have to do some experiments to see if I can convert (reverse telecine) that to the original film frame rate.

Also, I haven't done a full comparison of the single file of this 16mm transfer to the two raw files, but I wonder if a time interpolation problem crept in. I noticed the raw scan frame rate reports as 24 frames per second where the full version of the print reports 23.976 frames per second. If indeed the source scans are in a 24 fps timeline but output as 23.976, I'm suspecting the time difference was made up by dropping a frame approximately once every 50 seconds. I know there are parts missing in the print that was scanned, but comparing to the blu-ray version, there are single frames missing throughout - approximately every 50 seconds or so. That seems like a video problem rather than the actual film print missing one frame.

I may have to put this project aside for a few weeks, but I do plan to keep working on it when I have spare time. I may next work through the rest of the sequences following "All You Need Is Love" where the other changes to the film were made.
I can't wait to see my favorite movie uncropped! (well as uncropped as you can get) in the best quality!
I am the goddesses of Hell Fire!
Frank

Post by Frank »

Hi I have the complete 16 mm film 1968 yellow submarine
It’s a King Feature film any interest in it
RalseiDeltarune

Post by RalseiDeltarune »

Frank wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:58 pm Hi I have the complete 16 mm film 1968 yellow submarine
It’s a King Feature film any interest in it
May we see a clip?
Interested in any/all Bootlegs. Sometimes I make my own.

Catalog is posted here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2649
Liverpools Boy

Post by Liverpools Boy »

I will look forward for your work DVWerks

And I wish you all the best in this ongoing project.