Harry And His Box Set (V1, 2, 7, 10, 12, 15, 14 update.)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
buck turgidson

Re: Harry And His Box Set

Post by buck turgidson »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:21 am
Another one which I noticed a long long time ago (when I was 11 years old!) is Things We said Today. I got the Hard Days Night album for my birthday and as soon as I heard the opening notes my mind immediately was cast back to a Looney Tunes cartoon I had seen a few years earlier that had stuck in my mind. I didn't know what it was called then but looking it up now it's Inki and the Minah Bird and uses as a soundtrack a version of the great Felix Mendelssohn's Fingal's Cave. Have a listen to the first few seconds and there's definitely a similarity to "You say you will love me, if I have to go".
yes, and you were one sharp-eared eleven year-old!
aka paperback reader (in the photo it's "the beatles in help! - a novel by al hine") (i just had to look, having seen the film)
Kando

Post by Kando »

WOW, how embarrassing that I have missed this thread until now! :oops: I guess I tend to ignore some of the top posts, in sub-forums, if they don't have a standard icon in front of them. Now I know what FLAMES mean, lol.

What an absolutely EPIC undertaking! My god, with all of the downloads I have obtained in my short time back in Beeblesvile it will take me till the end of my next 3 regenerations before I even get around to properly getting them in order, let alone properly listening to/viewing them all.

My top hat is off to you LR and all those like you who have taken it upon themselves to resurrect, in such incredible manner, all of this incredible material.

The Beebles truly are the greatest show on Earth. A very belated 'Merry Beebles to all, and to all a good Beeble'.

Oh, and I hear that if you stand in the right spot, on the other side of the The Singing Towers of Darillium, you can hear John singing 'Paul is dead". Weird, huh? ;)
"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"
JoeWadley

Post by JoeWadley »

I do a lot of listening on headphones. This sets really shines when played through speakers. In headphones all the little (and sometimes big) imperfections of the home taped radio broadcasts are more forward. When I play it over speakers, it sounds like it is 1963, and it’s coming to me over the airwaves. It fits the vibe a lot better, it sounds like an actual early 60s broadcast. So I’ve gone back to disc one and started listening at breakfast time. It’s like a Time Machine.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

buck turgidson wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:05 am yes, and you were one sharp-eared eleven year-old!
Yes, I did somewhat have the Vulcan look. :lol:
Kando wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:41 am What an absolutely EPIC undertaking! My god, with all of the downloads I have obtained in my short time back in Beeblesvile it will take me till the end of my next 3 regenerations before I even get around to properly getting them in order, let alone properly listening to/viewing them all.
Life is short, and Beatle playlists are long!
JoeWadley wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:55 pm I do a lot of listening on headphones. This sets really shines when played through speakers. In headphones all the little (and sometimes big) imperfections of the home taped radio broadcasts are more forward. When I play it over speakers, it sounds like it is 1963, and it’s coming to me over the airwaves. It fits the vibe a lot better, it sounds like an actual early 60s broadcast. So I’ve gone back to disc one and started listening at breakfast time. It’s like a Time Machine.
I prefer when listening to them to remember that most of them are home tapings. That's why I left in the occasional noises you get when a recording is switched on and off, because it reminds me of that. These were fans just like us, and they heard the music and instinctively tried to capture it so they could hear it again. I did the exact same thing when I was 10 and the Beatles cartoons first came on: the following week I suspended a microphone in front of the tv and recorded the songs on cassette. When the Monkees first got repeated I found that I could pick up the tv audio at the far end of my FM radio, so I was able to record the songs in much better quality. So Harry is less of a "BBC archive" and much more a "fan archive". We're not listening to the masters... we're listening to that person's personal experience, warts and all. By proxy, we get to be there too on that day, long ago. That to me is a marvelous thing.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
massimo

Post by massimo »

"So Harry is less of a "BBC archive" and much more a "fan archive"."
I think it's both. It indeed started as a "fan archive" (that time after time was enriched with some material that was kept at the BBC, somewhere in the world), but at the end, thanks to your incredible efforts, developed into what can surely be considered as the best possible archive of all the Beatles activities at the BBC. And this is now assured for posterity.
Cheers!
Massimo
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

massimo wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:29 pm "So Harry is less of a "BBC archive" and much more a "fan archive"."
I think it's both. It indeed started as a "fan archive" (that time after time was enriched with some material that was kept at the BBC, somewhere in the world), but at the end, thanks to your incredible efforts, developed into what can surely be considered as the best possible archive of all the Beatles activities at the BBC. And this is now assured for posterity.
Cheers!
Massimo
Thanks Massimo!
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Thanks, of course, once again to LR for this mammoth archive effort!

I am filing the material in one place by show dates (recorded/released) rather than as CDs.

Do we have broadcast date info for Disc 25? Do I need to count the weeks in each year to get close, ha!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

alphabeatles wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:39 am Do we have broadcast date info for Disc 25? Do I need to count the weeks in each year to get close, ha!
They were only aired overseas, so the broadcaster had six months in which to play it from the time of issue until the expiry date. The week number is the date of issue, with episode 1 in the first week of December 1964. The exception was the preview programme episode 0 issued in August 1964 which had an expiry date of 1967.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:56 am
alphabeatles wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:39 am Do we have broadcast date info for Disc 25? Do I need to count the weeks in each year to get close, ha!
They were only aired overseas, so the broadcaster had six months in which to play it from the time of issue until the expiry date. The week number is the date of issue, with episode 1 in the first week of December 1964. The exception was the preview programme episode 0 issued in August 1964 which had an expiry date of 1967.
Oh yes, thanks, I recall some discussion about expiry dates.

I will slot them in as close as possible...
dumbchops

Post by dumbchops »

I'm still really digging into this mammoth set. Thank you, LR! I especially loved Disc 20 Track 9 as it explains everything.
My full name is Uncle Capt. "Skipper" Dumbchops and I seem to have misplaced my electric pretzel sharpener.