Harry And His Box Set (V1, 2, 7, 10, 12, 15, 14 update.)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Kwai Chang

Re: Harry And His Box Set

Post by Kwai Chang »

Dan Dare doesn't know it but
here's another clue for you all...
we're all Mekons!
Reith is a tad modest!
He's had our fate in his clutches for the whole show.
He makes it look easy. He makes it look fun.
He is water. He flows. He can calm. He can crash. He is all shapes.
And he has the foresight to see if we'll still Beatlegether in the 21st Century!
Super-sonic Super Hero and is in no way artificial.
You know the rest!
Thanks, Sire!
KC
buck turgidson

Post by buck turgidson »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:47 am
These days it's easy for people to say "Oh Till There Was You and A Taste Of Honey was granny music and not cool". But if you listen to the Stowe concert, those two songs get a huge round of applause.
not only that, "a taste of honey" immediately follows shouted requests for it. that tidbit stuck in my head because i was surprised by it. i definitely would have called for "everybody's got something to hide except me and my monkey" but diversity of taste stirs the drink, for sure.
Last edited by buck turgidson on Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
aka paperback reader (in the photo it's "the beatles in help! - a novel by al hine") (i just had to look, having seen the film)
buck turgidson

Post by buck turgidson »

JoeWadley wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:13 pm
steepien wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:45 pm
masterjedi wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:32 pm How have I not seen this thread until yesterday?
I missed it too, for me it was because it doesn't have one of Lord Reith's signature ALL CAPS TITLES :D
Well, it was a stealth release. This thread started as a different BBC release, and then we started to get Volume 1, Volume 2.... and we had to ask. Is this a new BBC set? The thread title changed a couple of times. It was all quite mysterious and exciting.
birth name: "beatles at the beeb 1982 extended" if i'm not mistaken.
aka paperback reader (in the photo it's "the beatles in help! - a novel by al hine") (i just had to look, having seen the film)
fabwill

Post by fabwill »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:31 pm The listening figures for the early Here We Go's were like 2 million I think. But those weekday shows had only started on New Year's Day 1962, and probably took a while to catch on. Prior to that there was sweet FA for teens during the week excepot a record show called "Teenagers Turn" where a different deejay each day played the kinds of records teenagers parents would have liked (typical BBC :roll: ). So by the time PGTB came along, I guess most teens had begun to realise there was stuff on for them at 5pm on weekdays and the first PGTB had an audience of 4 million ISTR. Eric Clapton says that when he was at school, word about that show spread quickly and so I would imagine that by the end the figures would have been substantially higher. Saturday Club got like 10 or 15 million listeners but I don't think PGTB had that kind of audience.
The UK population at the time was a bit over 50 million, so audiences of 4 million for a show broadcast at tea-time on a week day (and so aimed squarely at kids) would have been high. Could you have bought publicity like that? I fancy not. (Mind you, audiences of 10m+ would be incredible and suggest it was appointment radio, and that perhaps there wasn't much else to listen to.) This was also a year when PPM spent 6 months at number 1 in the UK album chart, and I think the PGTB were all broadcast during that 6 month period, suggesting the exposure was extremely valuable.
Fungomatto03

Post by Fungomatto03 »

Anybody else have trouble reaching this link with all the stuff from LR release?

http://tinyurl.com/ongoing-re-up-by-MUR

Keep telling me unavailable...

Thanks
Luca
Rubberswan

Post by Rubberswan »

Fungomatto03 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:24 am Anybody else have trouble reaching this link with all the stuff from LR release?

Thanks
Luca
I’ve just clicked on it. It’s there for me (U.K.)
"The rubber swan is mine" - Vaughn Meader, The First Family, 1962
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

buck turgidson wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:23 am not only that, "a taste of honey" immediately follows shouted requests for it. that tidbit stuck in my head because i was surprised by it. i definitely would have called for "everybody's got something to hide except me and my monkey" but diversity of taste stirs the drink, for sure.
I remember reading in Tune In (might be the long version) that John and george were dead against ATOH being included in the repetoire. It was the "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" of 1962 for them. In fact if you listen to SEVENTEEN then Paul introduces it as "A song John's gonna hate" to which he replies sarcastically "No, I love it". One can only imagine what John thought of Till There Was You! Probably unpublishable. And Paul himself said in the intro to Recording Sessions that the others thought The Honeymoon Song was a soppy idea.

But I guess the same as in '69 they put up with Paul's soppier tendencies because they could see the audience reaction with their own eyes. But they brought a beat group sound to it so it didn't sound TOO soppy. ATOH is actually a favourite of mine I'm embarassed to say. I always thought it was a haunting, captivating tune with great chords. But if it were done with strings and glockenspiels and the whole works then I'd probably hate it.
fabwill wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:18 am The UK population at the time was a bit over 50 million, so audiences of 4 million for a show broadcast at tea-time on a week day (and so aimed squarely at kids) would have been high. Could you have bought publicity like that? I fancy not. (Mind you, audiences of 10m+ would be incredible and suggest it was appointment radio, and that perhaps there wasn't much else to listen to.) This was also a year when PPM spent 6 months at number 1 in the UK album chart, and I think the PGTB were all broadcast during that 6 month period, suggesting the exposure was extremely valuable.
Saturday Club got the big audience because it had the broadest appeal. Trad jazz fans also tuned in, and many artists were featured. And shows with even broader appeal like Two Way Family Favourites were monsters that got mind boggling figures. But the weekday shows were more focused in their appeal. So a spot on Saturday Club was the jackpot if you were a new and upcoming artist, and the other shows helped keep you in people's minds. But yes PGTB was a massive coup and no other beat group got a chance like that.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Fungomatto03 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:24 am Anybody else have trouble reaching this link with all the stuff from LR release?

Thanks
Luca
Try the raw link:

https://pixeldrain.com/l/wT3A1irp
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

Thanks
Luca
If the first link doesn't work, there is a second link:

(link removed)

All folders, zipped and unzipped.

Toot Toot
Last edited by Ziggy C on Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Ziggy C wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:52 amIf the first link doesn't work, there is a second link:

hxxps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mZU9yJjMX8LnY8iQR_HrFmmbMzKDUA-f?usp=sharing

All folders, zipped and unzipped.

Toot Toot
I recommend the zipped files otherwise you have to wait and wait while google zips it for you! :)