Harry And His Box Set (V1, 2, 7, 10, 12, 15, 14 update.)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
akakage

Re: The Beatles And Harry At The Beeb

Post by akakage »

The story so far...

viewtopic.php?p=123181#p123181

Ziggy C
Thank You Very Much!
innergroove

Post by innergroove »

Wading through all this stuff right now, and probably for the rest of the day. A massive thank you. It has never sounded better.
buck turgidson

Post by buck turgidson »

how does that song go? y'know: "...seventeen lords a'leaping..."? something about the bbc in a tree?
Last edited by buck turgidson on Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
aka paperback reader (in the photo it's "the beatles in help! - a novel by al hine") (i just had to look, having seen the film)
quigatolah

Post by quigatolah »

Is there any sort of "cheat sheet" displaying all the silly names in which these files arrive,
so as to be able to check for completeness?

Better still - any sort of overview detailing the complete picture?
buck turgidson

Post by buck turgidson »

remove the top sub-folders from the silly-named folders. that'll give you a clear picture of what you do and don't have.
aka paperback reader (in the photo it's "the beatles in help! - a novel by al hine") (i just had to look, having seen the film)
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

buck turgidson wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:12 pm remove the top sub-folders from the silly-named folders. that'll give you a clear picture of what you do and don't have.
Yes, I just double click on the 'silly name' and it reveals what the folder inside is called including the vol number.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
MUR

Post by MUR »

quigatolah wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:57 pm Is there any sort of "cheat sheet" displaying all the silly names in which these files arrive,

my reup that contains all the stuff, has 'silly' names on top with numbers. To repeat the link:
pixeldrain.com/l/wT3A1irp
Searching hard for missing Silent Hills, Non Plus Ultra, WWII, Xavel, Shakuntala sets, fresh Misterclaudel/Valkyrie/Piccadilly.
Also searching hard for FAB CD / DVD releases (solo ones are priority). Ready to trade FAB DVDs with those who trades.
Yellowsubmarine

Post by Yellowsubmarine »

MUR wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:20 pm
quigatolah wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:57 pm Is there any sort of "cheat sheet" displaying all the silly names in which these files arrive,

my reup that contains all the stuff, has 'silly' names on top with numbers. To repeat the link:
pixeldrain.com/l/wT3A1irp
Thanks a lot for this link!
JoeWadley

Post by JoeWadley »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:11 am Yep, that's one of many great moments. They really swing during that particular period. It kind of changed suddenly around August and they slowed things down a bit and went less rhythm and blues and more rock. Maybe they were trying to distinguish themselves from the Stones? But I love those fast songs from the first half of 1963... and they are all really fast! Nobody could play at speed like the early Beatles, they were absolute masters.
Yes, the early months of 1963 are a different thing. They were excited about being on the BBC. They were still trying to "make it" in showbiz.
And they were still that band that played live in Hamburg and the Cavern. Those songs, and that speed, and that energy were still fresh.

As time went on, they became big stars. They got more polished. They had more records to promote. The novelty of being on the BBC wore off. They got "professional." The whole vibe changed. By 1964 it feels a little more like an obligation to do these shows, and the set lists are less interesting. They aren't that band anymore that could play a million songs at the drop of a hat. The oldies mostly sound stale on Beatles for Sale, and by the Get Back sessions they mostly can't connect with that band anymore. We are lucky the Hamburg tapes and the BBC preserved it at all. It may be my favorite version of the Beatles. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down. Talk about fast!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

fabwill wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:33 am On the sleeve - what does (OS only) mean? Overseas only?
Yeah, sorry when I was a kid "OS" was slang for overseas. "He's gone OS". Never really rid myself of that.

The BBC had two means of reaching overseas listeners. The first was the General Overseas Service, which was an actual station based in Bush House in London and transmitted on shortwave. It later became the World Service and John even mentioned it in his 1980 interview with Andy Peebles, commenting on how much it meant to people overseas and from which we can conclude that John was probably a regular listener during his Dakota years. A lot of exclusive BBC stuff was aired on the GOS including all their music sessions from 1964. The other way of reaching people overseas was by sending out transcription discs. Unlike the GOS, the Transcription Service was a business and not a public service. There was a special department that would scour the Radio Times in advance and then record live off air (via landline) anything they thought their overseas subscribers would like. If you had a radio station outside Britain you could pay a subscription fee (kind of like Spotify) and be sent the discs that would interest your listeners. The transcription service canvassed their subscribers in advance to find out how many copies they'd need to press, which on average was about 50 copies. They also made their own programmes, and Pop Profile was one of those. Originally, a 30 minute comedy programme was - unbelievably - spread over 4 short-running shellac 78rpm discs. That must have cost a lot in postage, not to mention the overseas broadcaster having to change sides every 4 minutes! They then downsized to 16 inch 33&1/3rpm discs which could fit a 30min show over three sides. They then switched to 10 inch discs with 15 mins per side and then, finally, 12 inch discs with 30 mins per side.
JoeWadley wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:11 pm As time went on, they became big stars. They got more polished. They had more records to promote. The novelty of being on the BBC wore off. They got "professional." The whole vibe changed. By 1964 it feels a little more like an obligation to do these shows, and the set lists are less interesting. They aren't that band anymore that could play a million songs at the drop of a hat. The oldies mostly sound stale on Beatles for Sale, and by the Get Back sessions they mostly can't connect with that band anymore. We are lucky the Hamburg tapes and the BBC preserved it at all. It may be my favorite version of the Beatles. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down. Talk about fast!
Yeah, I wouldn't say the oldies on BFS sound stale but by that time they were moving towards a more folky C&W sound and the old songs just didn't fit their style anymore. On the other hand, when they played live and were in the zone like in Paris 65, they could churn out great rock and roll with the best of them. But the oldies on BFS were just added because they didn't have enough original songs and they don't really fit in as far as I'm concerned. Ideally an album with the best original songs from BFS and Help would have been better, but for many reasons that couldn't have happened.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene