Harry And His Box Set (V1, 2, 7, 10, 12, 15, 14 update.)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Moptop

Re: The Beatles And Harry At The Beeb

Post by Moptop »

Thank you so much for your new updates and I very much appreciate the time and effort put into these very enjoyable releases.

I would so much love the BBC cassette to be genuine, but I think that it is a lovely fantasy idea or early all April 1st release. :D

Whilst the format label and cat. the number appears correct for a BBC commercial release of the period but the cat number is for another release and looking at the tape wear here is the image source. :roll:
rmc4023.png
rmc4023.png (291.44 KiB) Viewed 945 times
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Thanks everybody. No more new music now, but a couple of new interviews to come. As Shaw Taylor used to say "Keep 'em peeled!"
Moptop wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:51 pm Thank you so much for your new updates and I very much appreciate the time and effort put into these very enjoyable releases.
Thankyou sir. I'm glad all the Beebles are enjoying it. I love listening to these shows more than anything. Not only do you getThe Beatles singing, but chatting and larking around, and in fact it's like a Cavern lunchtime gig in your own home. They always make me feel good. I feel that these shows capture the whole essence of what The Beatles were, and when I look at how they became so spiteful towards each other in later years, it makes me very sad. At this point in time they are the same people as they were later but they accept each other's differences as a positive rather than a negative thing.
I would so much love the BBC cassette to be genuine, but I think that it is a lovely fantasy idea or early all April 1st release. :D
When I was a teenage lad, I used to see all those BBC cassettes of the Goon Show or Fawlty Towers or whatever in the shops and used to dream that such a cassette (or series of cassettes, even better) like this existed. I'm even tempted to buy a cassette player and some blank tapes and make them up for real. :lol:
Whilst the format label and cat. the number appears correct for a BBC commercial release of the period but the cat number is for another release and looking at the tape wear here is the image source. :roll:
Of course! The second half of I Am The Walrus! :lol:
hinrichschroeder wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:03 pm Thanks for all the Harrys, Lord Reith! I got the 1975 cassette on my 10th birthday. What a great experience it was to listen to it. However if I remember correctly mine was red and in stereo ...
That's a collectors item!
Phil_Lip wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:14 pm Oh Lord! - What have you started?

10 years time collectors will be desperately trying to track down the elusive 1975 promo cassette.
Can't wait to see this for sale on Japanese bootleg sites!
Ha ha ha! You know, you're probably not far wrong. Most of the internet as we know it has and will continue to be lost, so it'll be fragments like these that will turn up in 100 years time, out of context. That'll cause some head scratching...
JoeWadley wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:19 pm Thank you Lord Reith!

This morning I was enjoying disc 4, and the great Roll Over Beethoven from Saturday Club in June of 1963. A double length solo and John and Paul joining in singing on the outro.
Yep, that's one of many great moments. They really swing during that particular period. It kind of changed suddenly around August and they slowed things down a bit and went less rhythm and blues and more rock. Maybe they were trying to distinguish themselves from the Stones? But I love those fast songs from the first half of 1963... and they are all really fast! Nobody could play at speed like the early Beatles, they were absolute masters.
[flabbyroad] wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:02 pm Whilst there John and Richard Lester were interviewed together for "The Merv Griffin Show" by an annoying reporter.
The actual film footage of this interview is currently "lost" but a fan did film a home movie of the interview off the TV screen at the time it was broadcast.
Quality is terrible and it has been badly synched with the available audio.

so some 'restored' part is out......

fl.
That's interesting, I hadn't heard that before. Lewisohn gives a name for the reporter I've forgotten but looking at the screencap it actually appears to be Merv Griffin himself. I have heard unconfirmed rumours that the whole film exists, but perhaps it doesn't circulate out of rarified circles. I would actually be VERY surprised if the entire film insert did not exist. Obviously the complete show itself was live and doesn't, but a reel of film used for an insert would have a very good chance of surviving.
massimo wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:38 pm Thank you so much Lord Reith!!!
It's unbelievable to listen to these songs, you did an incredible job, the sound quality is really amazing!!!
Back in 1994 when I did all the work for the Great Dane box, trying to recover all the available tracks in the best possible quality, I would never think that such a quality could be reached.
And for me, having been in the BEEB world for so many years, it's an incredible joy to listen to the tracks now, in this quality, and so complete!.
Thank you and have a great 2024!
Massimo
It's great that you think that because the GD box is still held in such high esteem and is considered by many of us to be the greatest "Beatleg" of all time (although it was not actually a bootleg but a legitimate Italian release). So I'm glad I was able to build on that.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

Dear Lord, I have HAHB 15 and 16, did I miss another volume ? :oops: :?:
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

She was just seventeen...

The George Martin Pop Profile is completely new. I like hearing George talk this early on because it is before all the Pepper stuff and we get a better sense of how he really saw them. Songwriters Extraordinary I advise you to skip until you've listened to the complete interview on the next volume.

http://tinyurl.com/exp-13-jan
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

AMAZING as always M'Lord ... Thank you for Harry 16 ...... I may be wrong but - did the 1975 (limited edition) promo cassette come with a free Beatle wig that included nits ??? I just can't recall ..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

and .... by magic .... no.17 has just appeared here too..... Thank you twicely M'Lord ......
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

BTL1210 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:29 am AMAZING as always M'Lord ... Thank you for Harry 16 ...... I may be wrong but - did the 1975 (limited edition) promo cassette come with a free Beatle wig that included nits ??? I just can't recall ..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
It did, and a small sachet of dandruff. I am currently hunting for the second cassette, which came with an actual weasel and a tetanus shot.
Fab4

Post by Fab4 »

Thank you Lord for all your hard work on this huge 'Harry And His Box Set'. What joy it is to listen to. :)
beatlesondvd

Post by beatlesondvd »

Dear Lord Reith,

While sorting out my collection, I noticed that the version of 'From Me to You' on Disc 1 of the three-disc set 'BBC Broadcasts 1962-1964 (Joe Pope Reels)' sounds clearer than the one you included in your set. Was that a deliberate decision, or did you overlook it?
Yellowsubmarine

Post by Yellowsubmarine »

beatlesondvd wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:19 am Dear Lord Reith,

While sorting out my collection, I noticed that the version of 'From Me to You' on Disc 1 of the three-disc set 'BBC Broadcasts 1962-1964 (Joe Pope Reels)' sounds clearer than the one you included in your set. Was that a deliberate decision, or did you overlook it?
Same with the first BBC show on March 7, 1962.