The Beatles MILLENNIUM REMASTERS Collections (Feb. 11th 2024 UPDATE)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
cliftdean74

Re: The Beatles MILLENNIUM REMASTERS Collections (NEW TITLES ADDED Dec. 18th)

Post by cliftdean74 »

Beatlesiak wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:34 pm I am sending you a view of the complete CD:
OK. Would you mind adding your analysis to the image? Otherwise, it's just a pretty picture.
Beatlesiak

Post by Beatlesiak »

cliftdean74 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:02 pm
Beatlesiak wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:34 pm I am sending you a view of the complete CD:
OK. Would you mind adding your analysis to the image? Otherwise, it's just a pretty picture.

========================================================
Dear Mark,
This is not a reason to be upset or offended that I found the changes in the volume control level in individual songs of the The Beatles / Yesterday And Today / Revolver (Capitol / Ampex) MILLENNIUM REMASTERS compilation strange.

The one included in the previous entry presents a view of the sound spectrum of the entire album. Don't you know that?

The horizontal coordinate axis shows the time cumulatively from the beginning to the end of the disc.

The vertical coordinate axis indicates the volume level along with the peak values.

The order of songs is consistent with the *.cue file

TRACK 01 AUDIO
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TITLE "Drive My Car"
TRACK 02 AUDIO
INDEX 01 02:28:38
TITLE "I'm Only Sleeping"
TRACK 03 AUDIO
INDEX 01 05:27:02
TITLE "Nowhere Man"
TRACK 04 AUDIO
INDEX 01 08:09:45
TITLE "What Goes On"
TRACK 05 AUDIO
INDEX 01 10:55:40
TITLE "Day Tripper"
TRACK 06 AUDIO
INDEX 01 13:47:29
TITLE "Dr. Robert"
TRACK 07 AUDIO
INDEX 01 16:01:39
TITLE "Yesterday"
TRACK 08 AUDIO
INDEX 01 18:06:54
TITLE "Act Naturally"
TRACK 09 AUDIO
INDEX 01 20:35:12
TITLE "And Your Bird Can Sing"
TRACK 10 AUDIO
INDEX 01 22:37:08
TITLE "If I Needed Someone"
TRACK 11 AUDIO
INDEX 01 24:59:27
TITLE "We Can Work It Out"
TRACK 12 AUDIO
INDEX 01 27:22:03
TITLE "Taxman"
TRACK 13 AUDIO
INDEX 01 29:58:11
TITLE "Love You To"
TRACK 14 AUDIO
INDEX 01 32:55:39
TITLE "Yellow Submarine"
TRACK 15 AUDIO
INDEX 01 35:34:09
TITLE "She Said She Said"
TRACK 16 AUDIO
INDEX 01 38:08:29
TITLE "Tomorrow Never Knows"
TRACK 17 AUDIO
INDEX 01 41:06:66
TITLE "Eleanor Rigby"
TRACK 18 AUDIO
INDEX 01 43:11:23
TITLE "Here, There And Everywhere"
TRACK 19 AUDIO
INDEX 01 45:33:63
TITLE "Good Day Sunshine"
TRACK 20 AUDIO
INDEX 01 47:43:45
TITLE "For No One"
TRACK 21 AUDIO
INDEX 01 49:44:07
TITLE "I Want To Tell You"
TRACK 22 AUDIO
INDEX 01 52:13:02
TITLE "Got To Get You Into My Life"

similar information along with details in dB can be found in the *.log file of the shared folder of the selected album/compilation.

For example:

TRACK 02 AUDIO
INDEX 01 02:28:38
TITLE "I'm Only Sleeping"
TRACK 03 AUDIO
INDEX 01 05:27:02
TITLE "Nowhere Man"

Track 2
Filename C:\Users\markm\Desktop\Converted Audio\02 I'm Only Sleeping.wav
Peak level 93.7%
Track quality 100.0%
Track 3
Filename C:\Users\markm\Desktop\Converted Audio\03 Nowhere Man.wav
Peak level 55.4%
Track quality 100.0%

The same applies to other songs, as can be seen in the illustration attached earlier.

Please believe me: I appreciate what you do and the resources you generously share with us, for which I would like to thank you with all my heart, and my comment on this one CD is not malicious, it is just a statement that in this particular case something is quite clearly wrong - Is Capitol/Ampex so disrespectful to buyers? Personally, I doubt it, rather (assuming the source is authentic) there was some human oversight during the mastering of this particular compilation and ultimately the volume levels for individual songs were not equalized. Nobody's perfect ;) and such mistakes can happen (though they shouldn't).
Regards
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

Beatlesiak wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:37 pm
Dear Mark,
This is not a reason to be upset or offended that I found the changes in the volume control level in individual songs of the The Beatles / Yesterday And Today / Revolver (Capitol / Ampex) MILLENNIUM REMASTERS compilation strange.

The one included in the previous entry presents a view of the sound spectrum of the entire album. Don't you know that?
I assure you I’m not upset nor offended. I didn’t create this collection I’m simply ripping and sharing it. You posted an image without context. I was simply asking for your analysis. I’m not entirely sure what it proves re: the source or the CD but there it is for all to see and appreciate.
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Beatlesiak wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:39 pm
cliftdean74 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:58 am
DECEMBER 18, 2023:
The Beatles Reel CD Collection (Capitol / Ampex Reel-To-Reel Stereo Tape) 8 CD Set
Albums included in the set:
Meet The Beatles! / The Beatles' Second Album
Something New / The Early Beatles
Beatles '65 / Beatles VI
Help! / Rubber Soul
Yesterday And Today / Revolver
Magical Mystery Tour / Hey Jude
The Beatles Volume One
The Beatles Volume Two
As I was afraid (because I already received copies of it) "Yesterday And Today / Revolver" - there is also something "wrong" here - several songs have a very different quality/loudness/dynamics from the rest of the collection, which are usually very balanced :(
- if necessary, I will include detailed information - at the moment I'm writing from memory, so I don't want to include specific song titles.
Hi Beatlesiak,

I THINK the volume imbalances on the Capitol reel-to-reel tape release of Y&T are inherent to that specific release only... and was actually released this way on reel tape. As we all know, when Y&T was released first in June 1966 on LP in stereo, it (obviously) had the 3 infamous "duophonic" mock stereo tracks... then when it was re-released later to include the true stereo mixes of those three tracks, the volume wasn't leveled the same as the remainder of the other tracks — at least it seems to be that way on the Capitol reel-to-reel tape release (YT-2553)...

And comparing the Millennium Remasters to other reel tape rips of the same albums, the volume imbalances are the same... for example, here's Dr Winston's rip of the same tape:

Y&T_RTR_Tape_Stereo.png
Y&T_RTR_Tape_Stereo.png (1.57 MiB) Viewed 1456 times

Anyway, this is just my theory. But I do believe the Y&T reel tape to be a unique animal in this regard. 8-)

But hey, i could be totally wrong!
—Keith
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

powerPC wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:42 pm
DECEMBER 18, 2023:
The Beatles Reel CD Collection (Capitol / Ampex Reel-To-Reel Stereo Tape) 8 CD Set
Albums included in the set:
Meet The Beatles! / The Beatles' Second Album
Something New / The Early Beatles
Beatles '65 / Beatles VI
Help! / Rubber Soul
Yesterday And Today / Revolver
Magical Mystery Tour / Hey Jude
The Beatles Volume One
The Beatles Volume Two
As I was afraid (because I already received copies of it) "Yesterday And Today / Revolver" - there is also something "wrong" here - several songs have a very different quality/loudness/dynamics from the rest of the collection, which are usually very balanced :(
- if necessary, I will include detailed information - at the moment I'm writing from memory, so I don't want to include specific song titles.
Hi Beatlesiak,

I THINK the volume imbalances on the Capitol reel-to-reel tape release of Y&T are inherent to that specific release only... and was actually released this way on reel tape. As we all know, when Y&T was released first in June 1966 on LP in stereo, it (obviously) had the 3 infamous "duophonic" mock stereo tracks... then when it was re-released later to include the true stereo mixes of those three tracks, the volume wasn't leveled the same as the remainder of the other tracks — at least it seems to be that way on the Capitol reel-to-reel tape release (YT-2553)...

Anyway, this is just my theory. But I do believe the Y&T reel tape to be a unique animal in this regard. 8-)

Keith, that sounds a very logical and plausible theory.
Yves
Kando

Post by Kando »

powerPC wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:42 pm Hi Beatlesiak,

And comparing the Millennium Remasters to other reel tape rips of the same albums, the volume imbalances are the same... for example, here's Dr Winston's rip of the same tape:

Y&T_RTR_Tape_Stereo.png

Always good to hear these kinds of comments/thoughts especially for those of us who can't manage to keep all the large number of Beatles' recording intricacies stored in easily recalled memory, lol. And thanks for the comparative graph, as it certainly seems rather similar.
"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Beatlesiak

Post by Beatlesiak »

powerPC wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:42 pm
Hi Beatlesiak,

Y&T_RTR_Tape_Stereo.png

and this is a nice, comforting answer :) we can only hope that no one copied from anyone else and did not repeat the shortcomings of the predecessor... ;)
Davenicks

Post by Davenicks »

The level imbalances on "Yesterday and Today" on both the Dr. Winston and Millennium Remasters noted in this thread correspond to the levels on my original Ampex 7.5 ips reel. I hate to spoil the "a-ha!" moment for any amateur sleuths who thought they had found something nefarious with these classic re-releases, but that's the way Capitol released it, probably for the reasons speculated.

I don't think anyone has noted that the "Something New" album was never released by Capitol or Ampex on 7.5 ips tape; it was only released as a two-fer coupling with "Beatles VI" at 3.75 ips, which is inherently sonically inferior because of the slower speed and lower s/n ratio. When Capitol began contracting out with Ampex to release tapes at 7.5 ips, "Something New" was not included. There have been rumors that a handful of 7.5 ips copies made it out as promo handouts to radio stations or retailers, but I've never seen any confirmation of that.

On the artwork for the Millennium Remasters "Reel Cd Collection" you will find "L" numbers on the CD case backs and CD labels that correspond to the Ampex catalog numbers for each release... except for "Something New" where that space is blank. That is most likely because it was sourced from a 3.75 ips tape which did not have an "L" number but a "Y2T" number, but I guess it's possible that it was sourced from a promo copy which may not have had a catalog number at all. You be the judge.

Huge thanks to cliftdean74 for posting these collections. For those of us who appreciated having the reel tape copies in the 60s as sonically superior sources, the Reel CD set in particular is great to have.

Dave in Nashville
ehwalled

Post by ehwalled »

Thanks!
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

NOW AVAILABLE!
The Beatles UK Singles and EP Collections (Analogue & Digital Sources) 12 CD Set
This set was released by MILLENNIUM REMASTERS in 2004

Download link on first post.

Included in the set:

UK Singles Collection (Parlophone BSCP 1) 3 CD [analogue 45 sources]
*Strawberry Fields" and "Penny Lane" were in the wrong order on Disc 2 on the original disc. I have placed them in the correct order here.
E.P. Collection (Parlophone BEP 14) 3 CD [analogue EP sources]
**Looking for source analysis of Magical Mystery Tour in MONO on the EP Collection Disc 2 Tracks 17 - 22**
CD Singles Collection (Parlophone - Apple CD BSCP 1) 3 CD [digital sources]
*The glitch on "Yesterday" Disc 3 Track 1 exists on the original disc.
**Looking for source analysis for the CD Singles Collection Disc 3 Tracks 1 - 9**
Compact Disc E.P. Collection (Parlophone - Apple CD BEP 14) 3 CD [digital sources]
Last edited by cliftdean74 on Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.