Harry And His Box Set (V1, 2, 7, 10, 12, 15, 14 update.)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
ashwom1

Re: The Beatles At The Beeb

Post by ashwom1 »

dascottjr wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:20 pm Finally, an upgrade to Tony Rivers' "Abilene" (initially mistaken for a Beatles track back in the day)!!! A box of unexpected delights, to be sure!
I'm so happy about this, I've recently been recompiling old vinyl bootlegs from better quality tapes sources and I needed this for 'Meet The Beeb'. Great Christmas present (better than those rubbish 1962-66 and 1967-70 reissues that nobody wanted).
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

The From Us to You upgrade is a thing of beauty. Thank you as always. Remarkable to hear.
craigwill1982

Post by craigwill1982 »

Thank you for the latest volumes and all previous ones.

Wasn't Rodney Burke hot as f*ck??!!
Gilbeatle

Post by Gilbeatle »

Thanks Lord !!!
JoeWadley

Post by JoeWadley »

This is such a great set. There are improvements all over the place. I was just listening to Easy Beat from October 20, where they play their hits so far for Brian Matthews and a small studio audience. It has always been a pretty good sounding show, but it takes a noticeable step up in clarity here. I was especially enjoying Paul's bass playing. I don't know if this is a new source or a better transfer or some form of witchcraft, but relatively subtle improvements render it far more enjoyable.
miggynav

Post by miggynav »

JoeWadley wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:50 pm This is such a great set. There are improvements all over the place. I was just listening to Easy Beat from October 20, where they play their hits so far for Brian Matthews and a small studio audience. It has always been a pretty good sounding show, but it takes a noticeable step up in clarity here. I was especially enjoying Paul's bass playing. I don't know if this is a new source or a better transfer or some form of witchcraft, but relatively subtle improvements render it far more enjoyable.
This is what LR said:

Lord Reith wrote: ↑
alphabeatles wrote: ↑Is ARCHIVES meant to become obsolete?
"Yes. Almost everything is resourced from tapes. There's only about 10 tracks in the whole thing from other sets, bootlegs or otherwise. 90% of it is new"
massimo

Post by massimo »

Absolutely FANTASTIC work! Thank you very much for your efforts. It's great to have all this material in the best possible quality. If people at E.M.I. had your knowledge in searching inthe archives...
Thank you again!
Massimo
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Thanks again, Beebsters. Only one more volume, and then we're finished our anniversary celebration of 1963. But Harry will continue into 1964 in the new year.
ashwom1 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:22 am
dascottjr wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:20 pm Finally, an upgrade to Tony Rivers' "Abilene" (initially mistaken for a Beatles track back in the day)!!! A box of unexpected delights, to be sure!
I'm so happy about this, I've recently been recompiling old vinyl bootlegs from better quality tapes sources and I needed this for 'Meet The Beeb'.
Yeah I remember that, although I read about it in "Do You Want To Know A Secret?" before I actually heard it so I knew it was not The Beatles. Still thought it was a really cool track when I did, despite the atrocious quality. But that's the thing isn't it? Music moves us no matter how bad the sound quality. But good sound sure is a nice plus.
craigwill1982 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:34 pm Wasn't Rodney Burke hot as f*ck??!!
He wasn't known as "Rod" for nothing! :lol:
JoeWadley wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:50 pm This is such a great set. There are improvements all over the place. I was just listening to Easy Beat from October 20, where they play their hits so far for Brian Matthews and a small studio audience. It has always been a pretty good sounding show, but it takes a noticeable step up in clarity here. I was especially enjoying Paul's bass playing. I don't know if this is a new source or a better transfer or some form of witchcraft, but relatively subtle improvements render it far more enjoyable.
I was able to use copies of the tapes rather than the old bootlegs, which is always a better starting point when you're restoring sound. But as with everything in this set I spent many hundreds of hours manually repairing dropouts, removing clicks, buzzes, hums and other intrusions. It took forever but I think was well worth the effort. And occasionally there's some cool extra bits, like the request for the Miracles from December 28th.
Absolutely FANTASTIC work! Thank you very much for your efforts.
Well thankYOU sir!
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Applejam101

Post by Applejam101 »

Thank you for the re-ups and Thanks LR for the hard work you do.
ruedabeat

Post by ruedabeat »

Amazing sound !!! :shock:

Thanks a lot !!!