Harry And His Box Set (V1, 2, 7, 10, 12, 15, 14 update.)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
returntopepperland

Re: The Beatles At The Beeb 1982 extended

Post by returntopepperland »

Rui wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:52 pm Hmmmmm Is This Meant To Be The Replacement For BBC Archives? Or A Completely Different Set
Yes indeed
Lord Reith wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:22 am
alphabeatles wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:58 amIs ARCHIVES meant to become obsolete?
Yes. Almost everything is resourced from tapes. There's only about 10 tracks in the whole thing from other sets, bootlegs or otherwise. 90% of it is new.
ExDalek

Post by ExDalek »

And again Lord R astounds us. I found this site (and the world of Beatles bootlegs,as remarkably I hadn't ever realised they existed before!) just as Lord R started posting the BBC Archives. It amazed me with the love and effort that was obviously put into it. Now an unexpected new set! It is Christmas!
Oh, and obviously - thank you Lord R.
“I remember it like it was yesterday. Of course, I don’t really remember yesterday all that well.”
rhino

Post by rhino »

Thanks for the gems !!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

MrMurphMcgee wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:44 pm I really have believed that for some time that my study of the Beatles should also include as much possible context as possible. Hearing the guest bands on Pop Go the Beatles is some great context. The difference is stark, they must have sounded like aliens to some. Listening now, it’s the support acts that sound odd and otherworldly.
Yes, some fare better than others. Without wanting to upset anyone, I find the SBJ to be terribly amateurish sounding. On the other hand, some of the bands I had never heard of I like a lot. The Marauders I like a lot, but they sank without trace. Carter-Lewis are probably my favourites but they too never got anywhere. I think the two that have weathered the years best are Graham Bond and Cyril Davies, because R&B isn't affected by the changing fashions of pop. The thing you gotta understand though, is that these sorts of groups appearing on the BBC was completely new and revolutionary. I have plenty of Radio Times from 1963, and if you ever feel like popping into a time machine and going back to 1963 then reading those may change your mind! Up until The Beatles really started breaking through, the radio and tv was paralysingly boring! I mean, really, really dreary. The tv consisted of nothing but homegrown plays and variety shows (The Rolf Harris Show or The Black And White Minstrels anybody?) and the radio schedules were just full of boring singers backed up by dance orchestras. Even a show like Saturday Club just rotated the same boring acts again and again: the Trad Lads, Karl Denver, Lorne Gibson, Russ Sainty, Susan Maughn, The Bachelors... it was relentless. People like Shane Fenton, Johnny Kidd and The Beatles were the first to break through the boredom, and then it was only after that that the first tricklings of the sort of bands we associate with British pop began to appear. Gerry And TP were of course among the first. But these PGTB shows were literally the first time a lot of people ever heard of The Searchers or The Hollies.

I hope everyone is enjoying their Christmas, and that this has made it go with a bit more of a swing. It's been a wonderful year to be a fan! Good health and happiness to all. And let's all say a prayer for peace in the world... God knows we need it.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
JoeWadley

Post by JoeWadley »

When all is said and done, will this set have everything that on the Archives? There were some nice things there, like later interviews about the Beatles and the BBC. Will we get all those, or should I salvage them before deleting the old set?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

JoeWadley wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:44 pm There were some nice things there, like later interviews about the Beatles and the BBC. Will we get all those, or should I salvage them before deleting the old set?
I will put those separately along with some other interviews. I think we are all well sick of hearing those. Any continuity I haven't used I will stick on there too.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:51 pmI will put those separately along with some other interviews. I think we are all well sick of hearing those. Any continuity I haven't used I will stick on there too.
My next thought is, where do you store all of your project materials-? You seem to keep good track of it all.
Lord Reith

Re: The Beatles At The Beeb

Post by Lord Reith »

Here are two pictures showing the radio and tv fare on the day of Tuesday August 22nd, when Pop Go The Beatles #11 aired. Blink and you'd miss it!

Rui

Post by Rui »

returntopepperland wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:29 pm
Rui wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:52 pm Hmmmmm Is This Meant To Be The Replacement For BBC Archives? Or A Completely Different Set
Yes indeed
Lord Reith wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:22 am
alphabeatles wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:58 amIs ARCHIVES meant to become obsolete?
Yes. Almost everything is resourced from tapes. There's only about 10 tracks in the whole thing from other sets, bootlegs or otherwise. 90% of it is new.
Alrighty Thank You!!! :D
Doug

Re: The Beatles At The Beeb

Post by Doug »

Thanks again for ending the year on a high note, LR. Compare this to the pointless Red / Blue remixes that Giles & Co. made so much out of (while issuing exactly NO new Beatles music).

And how sad that Apple clearly has high quality tapes of the PGTB series and THEY haven't put out a comprehensive set like this.