Harry And His Box Set (V1, 2, 7, 10, 12, 15, 14 update.)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Lord Reith

Re: The Beatles At The Beeb 1982 extended

Post by Lord Reith »

bonniegreg wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:04 am Thank you for this incredible treasure, Mr. Lord. Keep Your Hands Off My Baby is a long-time favorite of mine. I'm a bit perplexed by the 2 different sources/edits. Please forgive my aging ears, but I can't tell the difference without a roadmap and clues. Please explain. Also, didn't we have an extended Ringo intro once upon a time?
Well they were taped by different people and although they sound similar one has just a little bit more top end (louder cymbals), but sadly it is looped in one part to cover a damaged section. So I consider the other one the default but at the same time I wouldn't want the other one to get forgotten, and there was room, so why not.

The extended intro was something faked for the commercial release. We don't really know if there was an intro or not, but since the Little Eva version starts cold it is assumed the Beatles version starts in the same way (as presented here). But I've learnt never to assume anything!
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

You're tuned to the Light. Later on, we'll be featuring our special documentary on the mythical Abominable Llama, but right now it's time for another installment of Harry And His Box...

http://tinyurl.com/expires-dec-28

Last edited by Lord Reith on Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
loserlist69

Post by loserlist69 »

Love this stuff. Thank you for all you do.
kontroller

Post by kontroller »

Am I the only one who finds those Karl Denver songs on volume 2 borderline unlistenable? He sounds like a cross between a pub singer and a cat being castrated.

Many thanks for these new sets Lord Reith.
JoeWadley

Post by JoeWadley »

kontroller wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:11 am Am I the only one who finds those Karl Denver songs on volume 2 borderline unlistenable? He sounds like a cross between a pub singer and a cat being castrated.

Many thanks for these new sets Lord Reith.
HE was going for the sound of a cat being castrated. It was a new sound in those days. But he was, in the end, a pub singer. And that couldn't help but come out, limiting his career.
Doug

Post by Doug »

I'd sure rather hear "Zub" than anything by The Lorne Gibson Trio, The Countrymen, Carter-Lewis And The Southerners or any number of the boring guests that PGTB featured!

I had one of those "toy" phonographs, too. I remember playing outside in the backyard in 1964, with "Meet The Beatles" on infinite repeat, and running to the thing to skip over "Till There Was You" every time it came on. Ironically, almost 60 years later, I still listen to Beatles records on infinite repeat and STILL skip "Till There Was You." I don't play in the backyard anymore, at least.

And, in case I forget, thanks, LR, for this unexpected Christmas treat. :D
innergroove

Post by innergroove »

Pure Gold !
kontroller

Post by kontroller »

Over the years of listening to these sets, I've grown to like The Folk Singer a lot - it's easily my favourite of the non-Beatles songs across the sets.
TELEGRAM SAM

Post by TELEGRAM SAM »

Thank you
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

Wow...had no idea this was here. Tacked onto the end of another thread. Very strange!
....but a huge thanks, these look great. Looking forward to the rest! :)