Complete Recording Sessions NEW UPDATES (Vol. 13 V2 available)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
csnyfan

Re: Complete Recording Sessions NEW UPDATES (Vol. 12 available)

Post by csnyfan »

1968-06-28 Good Night [rehearsal + orchestra] Anthology remaster
1968-07-22 Good Night [take 22] SDE

same take, intro can be reconstructed from both to make it more complete (edit at 0:18 of SDE version). I think the mashup becomes redundant then.
masterjedi

Post by masterjedi »

steepien wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:25 am A Beginning is about 1 second longer on Anthology 3 than it is on the White Album SDE, since it's not edited onto Don't Pass Me By. I think the take announcement on the SDE is edited together from different takes too (probably Takes 1 and 4?). Idk if that's worth separating.

For Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da [Take 4 SDE], is Paul not double tracked (triple tracked if you count the guide vocal) in the choruses and final verse? If he is I think that would make it Take 5, but with the bongos and saxes mixed out.
Nice catch on A Beginning!

And I believe you are correct about Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da being take 5 minus overdubs. It sounds like a 2-track recording. Which also means you can almost get back the live take if you subtract about 70% of the right channel from the left. Unfortunately, you can still hear the chicka-boom parts though.
I Am The Walrus

Post by I Am The Walrus »

masterjedi wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:31 am I've uploaded a prototype of the first part (what I have done so far) of Volume 13. Early feedback would be much appreciated. Link is in the first post.
Thank you very much for Vol.13 masterjedi.
Look great.
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

masterjedi wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:58 pmAnd I believe you are correct about Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da being take 5 minus overdubs. It sounds like a 2-track recording. Which also means you can almost get back the live take if you subtract about 70% of the right channel from the left. Unfortunately, you can still hear the chicka-boom parts though.
I'm pretty sure the chicka-boom is part of the backing track guide vocal, too.
masterjedi

Post by masterjedi »

csnyfan wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:08 pm
masterjedi wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:58 pmAnd I believe you are correct about Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da being take 5 minus overdubs. It sounds like a 2-track recording. Which also means you can almost get back the live take if you subtract about 70% of the right channel from the left. Unfortunately, you can still hear the chicka-boom parts though.
I'm pretty sure the chicka-boom is part of the backing track guide vocal, too.
Hmm, yeah, they do appear to be spectrally different. I'm going to include it!
masterjedi

Post by masterjedi »

csnyfan wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:42 pm 1968-06-28 Good Night [rehearsal + orchestra] Anthology remaster
1968-07-22 Good Night [take 22] SDE

same take, intro can be reconstructed from both to make it more complete (edit at 0:18 of SDE version). I think the mashup becomes redundant then.
nice! thanks!
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

One of the vocal track of take 5 differs from the SDE version (at least in some spots, maybe throughout), one is the same.

I've isolated and boosted the live guide vocal, so this should be really just take 3. It feels very different without the double tracking and harmonies.
hxxps://we.tl/t-Ow7lvI8QHd
masterjedi

Post by masterjedi »

csnyfan wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:31 pm One of the vocal track of take 5 differs from the SDE version (at least in some spots, maybe throughout), one is the same.

I've isolated and boosted the live guide vocal, so this should be really just take 3. It feels very different without the double tracking and harmonies.
Lewisohn is super confusing for this date, but I think that makes it take 4, not 3. I'm hearing the vocals go up and down in volume on yours. BUT, it does reveal Paul singing on top of himself in spots.
miggynav

Post by miggynav »

csnyfan wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:31 pm One of the vocal track of take 5 differs from the SDE version (at least in some spots, maybe throughout), one is the same.

Wow, thanks for this! Nice to hear the guide vocal. This sounds like a polished Esher Demo, love it!
steepien

Post by steepien »

masterjedi wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:37 am

Lewisohn is super confusing for this date, but I think that makes it take 4, not 3. I'm hearing the vocals go up and down in volume on yours. BUT, it does reveal Paul singing on top of himself in spots.
Yeah Lewisohn says there was an "SI onto take 3" on July 3 but I'm pretty sure that's a mistake. The actual text that follows and the next day's entry both say take 4 was the one to receive overdubs. So take 3 would be an unrelated attempt at the basic track. Interesting that Lewisohn and the SDE make similar mistakes there though. Maybe on the tape take 4 was accidentally announced as take 3.
- alex (she/her)
peace and love peace and love <3