McCartney 1 2 3 Documentary

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
batdude98

Re: McCartney 1 2 3 Documentary

Post by batdude98 »

Here's Episode 2's unique stuff:

hxxps://we.tl/t-e5DUZGCKjW

I know that Eleanor Rigby's strings are on Anthology 2, but I wanted to keep Paul's story about building the song together as one piece.

I can't tell if there's an instrumental section to Waterfalls, but I included the song because it's great to hear Paul talk about lesser-known tracks.

Has this take of Blackbird been booted before? I can't tell without cross-checking my WA sets...
Last edited by batdude98 on Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

Just finished watching and I don’t mind the black and white though I agree it could seem pretentious. It feels like it was done to try to put all focus on the music - and to make Rubin look more serious.

Interesting watch but not a lot new. Egypt Station was under-represented :lol:
Alessandro Rocchi

Post by Alessandro Rocchi »

Thank you very much, BatDude98! :mrgreen:
Ale.
ted

Post by ted »

batdude98 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:10 am Here's Episode 2's unique stuff:

hxxps://we.tl/t-e5DUZGCKjW

I know that Eleanor Rigby's strings are on Anthology 2, but I wanted to keep Paul's story about building the song together as one piece.

I can't tell if there's an instrumental section to Waterfalls, but I included the song because it's great to hear Paul talk about lesser-known tracks.

Has this take of Blackbird been booted before? I can't tell without cross-checking my WA sets...
Thanks for the audio bits batdude98....very cool on your part for these :!:
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

KitsuHitsuyy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:54 pm
harrythebannister wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:50 pm
Don’t agree....A Hard Day’s Night was made in 1964 when most British films were still made in B/W. I don’t think this was an artistic approach at all. It’s just the way it was back then.
Can’t see any reason for shooting anything in B/W today. It just comes across as pretentious.
Still, color film was already available since the 30's, Help! was made one year later and already colored.
Not all countries had color tvs or affordable color tvs until later in the 60's. As far as movies - Filming in color was available but it was a lot cheaper to film in black and white until the mid 60's as color film cameras dropped in cost to film companies.
sunnylew

Post by sunnylew »

I'm up to episode 3 now, and although I 'm still enjoying it, I can't help but think that Rick Rubin is being under utilised.

I'd hoped he would ask some questions that really got into the ins and outs of how songs were tracked. you know, where did the decisions come in as to instrumentation and creating the sounds that they had n their heads.

Rick is not exactly a slouch, but he's used in the series as someone only a step above an everyman.

On the flipside, the isolation of the bass in Dear Prudence with the almost wooden xylophone overtones was an eye opener. I enjoyed hearing the explanation of how he got that sound.

Did anyone notice that in the credits, they listed this song's title as "Dear Prudence, won't you come out to play"?

Have I missed something there?
batdude98

Post by batdude98 »

Here's Episode 3's new or new-ish stuff:

hxxps://we.tl/t-H0KBimjyTs

I left the influences' stories in because I wanted to preserve what the episode was about, I liked Paul's semi-unique way of telling them, and I personally hadn't heard about them being supported by the Kinks in Brighton before. If they bother you, feel free to drop those tracks.
Last edited by batdude98 on Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
batdude98

Post by batdude98 »

sunnylew wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:51 pm I'm up to episode 3 now, and although I 'm still enjoying it, I can't help but think that Rick Rubin is being under utilised.

I'd hoped he would ask some questions that really got into the ins and outs of how songs were tracked. you know, where did the decisions come in as to instrumentation and creating the sounds that they had n their heads.

Rick is not exactly a slouch, but he's used in the series as someone only a step above an everyman.

On the flipside, the isolation of the bass in Dear Prudence with the almost wooden xylophone overtones was an eye opener. I enjoyed hearing the explanation of how he got that sound.

Did anyone notice that in the credits, they listed this song's title as "Dear Prudence, won't you come out to play"?

Have I missed something there?
I agree with these sentiments; at least they are highlighting stuff like his contrapuntal work, but it would be nice to really dig into the weeds, you know?

I also noticed the different title on "Prudence" -- proofreading error, maybe?
batdude98

Post by batdude98 »

I want to solicit people's feedback before I do episode 4:

Are the Circus Krone-Bau and Washington Coliseum performances here new mixes?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

batdude98 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:03 pm Here's Episode 3's new or new-ish stuff:
Thanks for doing these!

I think I will probably just rip the episodes as audio soundtracks for myself. The visuals add little if anything and do look incredibly pretentious. Who mixes standing up in an empty room in the dark?
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene