Get Back Glyn Johns 1st acetate source?

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
masterjedi

Re: Get Back Glyn Johns 1st acetate source?

Post by masterjedi »

I don't recall off hand where this one ends up in the chronology of various acetates, but the WBCN version I seem to remember was incomplete in Helter Skelter's attempt. It was missing some sections from Posters. Here you can find my go at it from a while back.

hxxps://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/1rlaFDmpqHGXvvJgko7z_KZBXtlBumZ5f

Also in the link is Rockin' Reel, which is an upgrade to Celluloid Rock/Get Back - John Barrett's Reel.
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

The sequence went like this:

1. The January Acetate (AKA the Electra Acetate) made 27 Jan. (Not an attempt at a finished album, just for reference purposes)

2. The Oldies acetate (AKA Beatles Sunday), compiled 30 Jan

3. Get Back mark 1, by Glyn Johns (Apr-May)

4. Get Back mark 2, by Glyn Johns (May)

- 20 Sep 1969, WKBW broadcast copy of acetate (3)

- 22 Sep 1969, WBCN broadcast copy of acetate (1)

- Sep 1969 - Kum Back bootleg appears, sourced from a recording of the WBCN broadcast

- Late 1969/early 1970 - OPD bootleg appears, sourced from a recording of the WKBW broadcast

5. Get Back mark 3, by Glyn Johns (Jan 1970)
fvallejt

Post by fvallejt »

thanks much !!
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Mr Bump wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:11 pm The sequence went like this:

1. The January Acetate (AKA the Electra Acetate) made 27 Jan. (Not an attempt at a finished album, just for reference purposes)

- Sep 1969 - Kum Back bootleg appears, sourced from a recording of the WBCN broadcast

- Late 1969/early 1970 - OPD bootleg appears, sourced from a recording of the WKBW broadcast

Thanks Mr Bump! This website below (I think it's Chazz Avery's?) is PACKED with super-interesting facts, dates, basically everything you want to know about the Glyn Johns' compilations (and even LIB)! 8-)

If you're not already familiar with it, I highly recommend digging in and checking this out:
https://www.beatlesource.com/bs/mains/a ... intro.html
—Keith
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

powerPC wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:07 am
Mr Bump wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:11 pm The sequence went like this:

Thanks Mr Bump! This website below (I think it's Chazz Avery's?) is PACKED with super-interesting facts, dates, basically everything you want to know about the Glyn Johns' compilations (and even LIB)! 8-)

If you're not already familiar with it, I highly recommend digging in and checking this out:
https://www.beatlesource.com/bs/mains/a ... intro.html
You are absolutely right Keith. Full of relevant info.

They had at some point lots of the old acetates in MP3 that I managed to download (but stupidly converted to M4as and got rid of)
Yves
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

AWESOME share - Thank you ......
beatles2me

Post by beatles2me »

Thank you :mrgreen:
sam004

Post by sam004 »

powerPC wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:49 pm
sam004 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:37 am I have tried to create a reconstruction of the 2nd version but get hung up on the longer edit of Dig it, and a decent version of Get Back.
Is there a fan made reconstruction out there already ?
Sam, I also tried to create a reconstruction of the second (V2) compilation, with varying degrees of success :lol:

I'm NOT a mixer, and I did this over 2 years ago, so I don't remember EXACT specifics, but for the beginning part of the longer "Dig It", I used "O.P.D." as a guide for where it starts and then inserted the same section from "Celluloid Rock"... which is unfortunately mono... SO the first 1:10 is mono, then crossfades to stereo around the 1:11 mark. Not very good, but easier on the ears than O.P.D.

And for the extra few seconds of snippet at the end of "Get Back", again using O.P.D. as a guide, I used "Thirty Days" (or maybe it was "Get Back Journals", can't recall) to grab the snippet to paste into this reconstruction... again, not great... I'd love it if one of our resident audio gurus could make a better attempt than I was able to. 8-)

Anyway, here's my GB Glyn Johns V2 compilation reconstruction for what it's worth:

hxxps://we.tl/t-wSWb4WDtmL
Great job !
It is certainly more listenable than OPD.
I don't think it would take much by someone with some more audio skills to make this into a good sounding version.