Twist and Shout with Adequate Drums?

Fan created remixes and rare variations
NowhereFan

Twist and Shout with Adequate Drums?

Post by NowhereFan »

Could someone do, or has someone here produced, a remix of this song with drums at the level that they should be for such a ferocious rocker? I did find one remix by "Deirdre" that is fairly adequate, but I'd love to hear the drums at a higher volume still. The Giles Martin version is terrible in this regard -- and why that is, is anyone's guess.

I don't do remixing and demixing myself (don't have the equipment), but I have been painstakingly and pleasurably collecting what to my ears and taste are the best remixes, especially since the 2022 Revolver came out. One of my biggest "requirements" is centered and prominent drums -- while still being in balance with everything else.
But now these days are gone; I'm not so self-assured. Now I find, I've changed my mind, and opened up the doors.
Malpaso1960

Re: Twist and Shout with Adequate Drums?

Post by Malpaso1960 »

Hey NowhereFan, like this?

hxxps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rk0tkYRpFjkfGO3RT9xM_IfHmq0Gkt_M?usp=sharing

I'm happy to tweak it if you'd prefer.
Enjoy!
Go ahead, make my mix............
Tex

Post by Tex »

Here are my spectral remixes from earlier this year of the songs from the "Please Please Me" album that Giles recently remixed.

My remixes are similar except they don't have all that added reverb. These are clean and wide and have sweeter EQ, actually un-EQ'd.

I've also added an un-faded version of "Do You Want to Know A Secret" which should have been on the new 1962-1966 in my opinion and to give George some representation. Enjoy.

hxxps://we.tl/t-y93UTj01LB
NowhereFan

Post by NowhereFan »

Malpaso1960 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:07 pm Hey NowhereFan, like this?

hxxps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rk0tkYRpFjkfGO3RT9xM_IfHmq0Gkt_M?usp=sharing

Enjoy!
Excellent job, thanks! Since you asked, perhaps the drums are arguably a bit too high in the mix (which I hardly ever say -- being such a "drums guy"). I would lower them to maybe 80% of the volume level they are in this file. It's so much fun to be able to inquire about a new remix and to see two posted within a few hours.

Thanks again. I really love what you did with I Am the Walrus, too. Look forward to hearing many more. :D
But now these days are gone; I'm not so self-assured. Now I find, I've changed my mind, and opened up the doors.
NowhereFan

Post by NowhereFan »

Engonoceras wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:34 pm Here are my spectral remixes from earlier this year of the songs from the "Please Please Me" album that Giles recently remixed.

My remixes are similar except they don't have all that added reverb. These are clean and wide and have sweeter EQ, actually un-EQ'd.

I've also added an un-faded version of "Do You Want to Know A Secret" which should have been on the new 1962-1966 in my opinion and to give George some representation. Enjoy.

Superb job! Thanks so much. Twist and Shout was excellent: very "rocky" as it should be. PPM edged out my previous favorite, which wasn't Giles' new mix (slightly clearer vocals and clarity of drums). Secret is more spacious, with drums pleasingly higher in the mix than my former "pick", making it sound significantly more punchy and catchy. And ISHST came very close to Giles' fantastic mix (perhaps now my favorite of all Beatles remixes). Yours had better clarity of the cymbals, which is quite a feat for such an early song, but Giles' guitars are clearer and more distinct. I will certainly keep yours as (IMHO) a very close second best.

Thank you for all your great work. It's clearly a labor of love for you (as with most if not all of the skilled remixers out there). I do really like the "clean and wide" and "sweet" sound, and many of your mixes are my favorites for particular songs. I think you did an especially good job on the Help! album, and also the Magical Mystery Tour LP.
NowhereFan

Post by NowhereFan »

Engonoceras wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:34 pm Here are my spectral remixes from earlier this year of the songs from the "Please Please Me" album that Giles recently remixed.

Did you remix that whole album, Tex? I'd love to hear those songs, if it's not too difficult for you to do a re-upload.
Modboy66

Post by Modboy66 »

I'm psyched to hear what others have been doing with the drums on the Please Please Me album cuts from the Red demixes. I had the same feeling about I Saw Her Standing There - the lack of balls in the drums. So I took the mono file from a Dr. Ebbetts needle drop, extracted all but the drums, extracted the clean drums from the Giles Martin Red remix and synched up the drums from September 24, 1963 BBC Pop Goes the Beatles and made a new dual mono version. Has a cool Hamburg inspired intro. Very rock and roll I think. hxxps://we.tl/t-QXi8xzgVlX
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

AWESOME shares all... Thank you .....
NowhereFan

Post by NowhereFan »

Modboy66 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:58 am I'm psyched to hear what others have been doing with the drums on the Please Please Me album cuts from the Red demixes. I had the same feeling about I Saw Her Standing There - the lack of balls in the drums. So I took the mono file from a Dr. Ebbetts needle drop, extracted all but the drums, extracted the clean drums from the Giles Martin Red remix and synched up the drums from September 24, 1963 BBC Pop Goes the Beatles and made a new dual mono version. Has a cool Hamburg inspired intro. Very rock and roll I think. hxxps://we.tl/t-QXi8xzgVlX
Fun and interesting mix. Thanks!
Malpaso1960

Post by Malpaso1960 »

NowhereFan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:29 pm
Malpaso1960 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:07 pm Hey NowhereFan, like this?

Enjoy!
Excellent job, thanks! Since you asked, perhaps the drums are arguably a bit too high in the mix (which I hardly ever say -- being such a "drums guy"). I would lower them to maybe 80% of the volume level they are in this file. It's so much fun to be able to inquire about a new remix and to see two posted within a few hours.

Thanks again. I really love what you did with I Am the Walrus, too. Look forward to hearing many more. :D
Thanks very much.
V2 now uploaded with lowered drums, not as more as the more I thought you wanted.....lol
Same folder.
Go ahead, make my mix............