The broadcast history of Wings "My Love" promo

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Hitachi

The broadcast history of Wings "My Love" promo

Post by Hitachi »

Hi all
While recently researching Wings promo of their 1973 single "My Love" I realised that this promo (which has had four different edits over the years) may not have been broadcast on UK television until the 1980's!
The promo (which we still don't have a filming date for but probably in early April 1973 after having been released in the UK in late March 1973) was possibly first broadcast on the French TV program “Top á Michel Sardou” on May 26, 1973 which really seems a bit too late by then? But seeing as the single was released in late March surely the promo video was filmed and broadcast somewhere by mid April (possibly Japan or America)?
I am now beginning to think that it may never have been broadcast on UK television until the 1980’s mainly because at the time to promote the single Wings had appeared on “Top of The Pops” in early April and the song was also featured in the “James Paul McCartney” TV special that was broadcast in early May, 1973.
Does anyone have any accurate information about a) it's actual filming date; b) it's earliest known broadcast (anywhere in the World) and c) It's first ever UK broadcast. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
beatlesondvd

Re: The broadcast history of Wings "My Love" promo

Post by beatlesondvd »

Hitachi wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:55 am Hi all
The promo (which we still don't have a filming date for but probably in early April 1973 after having been released in the UK in late March 1973)
Oh, but we do: 8 April 1973, per Allan Kozinn and Adrian Sinclair's "The McCartney Legacy," Vol. 1 (1969-1973).
Hitachi

Post by Hitachi »

Oops! I have the book but I hadn't updated my files and completely forgot they had found the filming date. After 50 years of not knowing the date it's hard to realise we now know it lol. Thanks for the reminder. Appreciated. But the question remains.. where was it first broadcast and was it ever broadcast in the UK in the 70's?
tammytingles

Post by tammytingles »

Thanks for the work you do.

Where would we be without Beatle historians. :)