astronaut

Re: What unreleased bootleg is YOUR "Holy Grail"

Post by astronaut »

a bootleg of a live concert of the beatles in spain 1965
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

jgjohnson wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:51 am
cliftdean74 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:09 am I'm holding out hope that Paul's complete demo of "We Can Work It Out" exists in an archive somewhere. Hoping he just gave John a dub of it and that's the one that got erased halfway through. I love his voice on that demo!
I wondered if that McCartney tape of "We Can Work it Out" that was on the lost lennon tapes is all there was. We were told that McCartney had that part of the song and Lennon wrote the "Life is very Short" part. Paul may have just had that first verse and gave it to John to work with. The tape may have ended after that first verse, so John didn't tape over the rest of it, because there wasn't any more.
You can hear that it gets cut off by John’s recording. We’ve all done it back in the day I’m sure either accidentally or on purpose. The telltale sign of recording over something. I’m not suggesting that it’s anywhere close to the complete song but I’m certain Paul wouldn’t just cut it off the way it is on the tape.
No Bozos

Post by No Bozos »

"Summertime" from 1960. Historically, the most important.
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

cliftdean74 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:09 am I'm holding out hope that Paul's complete demo of "We Can Work It Out" exists in an archive somewhere. Hoping he just gave John a dub of it and that's the one that got erased halfway through. I love his voice on that demo!
I wondered if that McCartney tape of "We Can Work it Out" that was on the lost lennon tapes is all there was. We were told that McCartney had that part of the song and Lennon wrote the "Life is very Short" part. Paul may have just had that first verse and gave it to John to work with. The tape may have ended after that first verse, so John didn't tape over the rest of it, because there wasn't any more.
I couldn't really see John, just blithely recording over the rest of Paul's demo with his nonsense. It can't have gone on much after that, like "this is where you need to help me with the middle eight." Otherwise, what a waste.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

mojofilter wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:21 am
I couldn't really see John, just blithely recording over the rest of Paul's demo with his nonsense. It can't have gone on much after that, like "this is where you need to help me with the middle eight." Otherwise, what a waste.
I'm hungry for the last few missing seconds. Remember there was a boot many years ago where someone "finished" the song with some added guitar? That was great, I can't for the life of me remember on what disc I heard that on.
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

cliftdean74 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:37 amI'm hungry for the last few missing seconds. Remember there was a boot many years ago where someone "finished" the song with some added guitar? That was great, I can't for the life of me remember on what disc I heard that on.
No, I'm not sure I've ever heard that one. But I'd sure like to!
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

cliftdean74 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:37 am I'm hungry for the last few missing seconds. Remember there was a boot many years ago where someone "finished" the song with some added guitar? That was great, I can't for the life of me remember on what disc I heard that on.
And ever since then I have cursed John because Lucy From Littletown is so sub-par. Nobody has ever suggested the demo was in any state of completion. Probably because we can hear the beginning of the second verse. It seems completely devoid of meaning now. And that should not be the case. Lennon's disregard was likely to have been intentional. As much as I love John, my sentiment is not so compassionate towards the post-break-up music of any Beatle. Lennon wrote and illustrated The Daily Howl. He knew what every note, tape, record was and if it's important enough to preserve. I think an acetate would have been a preferred method of getting John's interest. I don't believe the lore. Compared to tragedy, such disciplines become permanent survival tools and to think such artifacts have lost their significance and been recorded over...yawn!
The demo is such a nice recording, how would that have been done at the Asher residence? It wouldn't have. But, it only matters if you really think the Beatles would want to play acetates or home demo tapes at home. They wouldn't! Why did John tape over it? To qualify its own provenance! What? John didn't record over anything. The We Can Work It Out demo was modified to give the Lost Lennon Tapes a much needed shot of adrenalin.
Can I prove any of it? No! But, then, neither could I reImagine it! I tried!
And, look...I'm so far off topic...that the Grail I seek isn'T a physical one. It is mental and/or emotional tranquility of knowing they care about music enough for me to not have to. That is how cool they are. I guess you could call it:
I Don't Carenival...of right!
I don't need anything...just Beatle!
KC
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

Please tell me, did he say anything worthwhile? 'I've had him on Ignore for a few years. Some things I can't put up with. He is one.
IFeelFine

Post by IFeelFine »

mojofilter wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:10 am Please tell me, did he say anything worthwhile? 'I've had him on Ignore for a few years. Some things I can't put up with. He is one.
He makes some interesting and to the point observations.
RaelBass

Post by RaelBass »

Etctera, Helter Skelter long version and Carnival of Light.