Thanks mate!
beatles2me

Re: THE DECCA DILEMMA (Vols. 1 & 2)

Post by beatles2me »

Thank you :mrgreen: Volker
simond9X

Post by simond9X »

I've only just got round to listening to this. It's exceptional! As someone has already said, it's like hearing it for the first time. Thanks as always for taking the time to do these things and for sharing them with us. Cheers from the UK
I Am The Walrus

Re: THE DECCA DILEMMA (Vol.2)

Post by I Am The Walrus »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:49 am Okay then, here is Part Two...

Hullo Little Girl
Crying, Waiting, Hoping
Till There Was You
Searchin'
Sure To Fall
Like Dreamers Do

If you put both folders on your device, they will appear as one album. No need to merge.

Enjoy the Atom Beat!

https://tinyurl.com/exp-Nov-1st
Thank you very much, Lord.
BeatleGuy1949

Post by BeatleGuy1949 »

Praise you oh Lord!!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Glad you enjoyed it guys.
steve1950 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:40 pm I love the sound of these. There are only 12 tracks. I thought there were 15 tracks on the tape. Am I missing something?
I will do them if people want, it's just that I really hate those three tracks. I think this kind of works nicely as an album that never was. Sequencing to me is everything... you get the sequencing wrong and you've ruined the album. The Beatles albums and radio shows always had great sequencing. But yes, we've got Side One and Side Two now, so I guess we can add an EP release too.

I find it odd that someone went in and snipped off all the count-ins. Who did that? And when? Presumably it was at the request of Brian because he had two reel to reel 7 & 1/2 ips tapes that he was hawking around. But did he pay to have that done? Did the person responsible make other changes, like altering the running order? And what then happened to the studio master? Was it just junked? Why did a 15ips tape with all 15 songs turn up in the 70s with all the count-ins snipped off and a minute of leader tape between each song?

Were Brian's two tapes intended as Side One and Side Two of a vanity release to be privately funded by Brian? It seems incredibly strange that Decca would not just give him a single tape recorded at 3 & 3/4 inches per second with all 15 songs, if the purpose of the tape was to play to other A&R people. Changing a reel of tape is a pain in the arse, and it would mean that if he wanted to play the target person a song from the other reel he would have to waste the guy's valuable time by asking him to swap reels. Two 7 & 1/2 ips tapes implies to me that there was a different purpose intended.

So many dilemmas! A dilemma for Decca in the sense of what to do with this weird group, a dilemma for The Beatles in deciding what to play, a dilemma for Brian in deciding whether to take Decca's crap offer of a contract (which apparently involved Brian contributing a sum of money to the release according to Lewisohn in Evolver 62), and a diemma to us in figuring out what to make of this strange recording. I guess we'll never really understand what went down. But my guess is that it was considerably more complex that what we've been led to believe over the years.
Choking Smoker wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:01 pm Thanks, with all this great demixing technology we have these days would it be possible to even out the tempo of Pete's drumming on "Till There Was You" without Paul's voice speeding up and slowing down in random places in the song?
It could be done but I'd feel like I was straying over to the Dark Side there. I don't like altering the actual performance. My comment about retuning Pete's bass drum was just a fancy - I'd never actually do that other than as a one off "what if".
Last edited by Lord Reith on Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
robbmacc

Post by robbmacc »

Please do them all.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:04 pm

I will do them if people want, it's just that I really hate those three tracks. I think this kind of works nicely as an album that never was. Sequencing to me is everything... you get the sequencing wrong and you've ruined the album. The Beatles albums and radio shows always had great sequencing. But yes, we've got Side One and Side Two now, so I guess we can add an EP release too.

Yes please.
Martin85

Post by Martin85 »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:04 pm I guess we can add an EP release too.
Yes please! I want that EP too.