ROCKIN' ROXBURGH (Deluxe Edition) re-up

Fan created remixes and rare variations
tilman

Re: Stowaways

Post by tilman »

WOW-Great improvement to my ears and the first time i am able to hear some bass. Thanks a lot for all of your work, here, there and everywhere
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

Nice work. Thanks!
EdinSc

Post by EdinSc »

You nailed it!!
RalseiDeltarune

Post by RalseiDeltarune »

Very good job on this. If it'll turn out anything like your recent Star Club mono remaster, then I'm here for it!
Interested in any/all Bootlegs. Sometimes I make my own.

Catalog is posted here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2649
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

Wow, it´s incredible! Specially the bass. Thanks!
dannysonar

Post by dannysonar »

This is much more pleasant to listen.
But what did you do ? "Cheating" a bit by using the bass line from other recordings, presumably BBC, or did you find the magic tool to re-instate the original bass where there were none ?
And it's also nice to hear the intros much more clearly than before.
Thanks and yes, please carry on working on it, it's worth it ! This recording is a fantastic piece of history AND pleasure and it deserves the best !
eeztheman

Post by eeztheman »

Wow, this is much more pleasureable listen - as usual, you are working your magic LR
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Choking Smoker wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:39 pm It's good to hear a bit of bass on them but I think it won't be too long before a better source appears. Until then, if you enjoy working on them then we'll be happy to listen.
Well that's what worries me! But it's a question of how long. I mean, we haven't exactly been flooded with alternate sources.
JoeWadley wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:45 pm It's good work. The bass on Love Me Do sounds great. The vocals are still distant. It's hard to make this something I would listen to for pleasure as opposed to historic interest. You made the Hamburg tapes a joy. This is not quite there.

It's a matter of how you want to spend your time. This should be for your pleasure. If making these tapes sound as good as possible is something you want to do, I will certainly appreciate the work!
I do want to do it but it is a lot of work. I just wanted to know if people thought it was a terrible idea. I'm more inclined to do it if other people want it too.
dannysonar wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:39 pm This is much more pleasant to listen.
But what did you do ? "Cheating" a bit by using the bass line from other recordings, presumably BBC, or did you find the magic tool to re-instate the original bass where there were none ?
And it's also nice to hear the intros much more clearly than before.
I took the bass guitar and Ringo's kick drum from some BBC versions. In the case of Love Me Do it was recorded literally that morning so you can't get much more synchronous than that! In the second Stowe radio special they play LMD from the tape and it just sounded so much more jaunty with that bottom end.

So... full disclosure... these are fakes! But it's still The Beatles and really those parts did not vary tremendously from performance to performance like the guitar or vocals might. Someone pointed out that the bass on SOG sounds a bit busy and I tend to agree so I might try the other BBC version and see how that sounds. I also found that including a faint trace of the BBC vocal also works although I didn't do that here, but on some songs where the voice is inaudible that might work.

But at least it will produce a more listenable version.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
I Am The Walrus

Post by I Am The Walrus »

Wow, that's incredible.
Thank you very much Lord.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:58 pm I took the bass guitar and Ringo's kick drum from some BBC versions. In the case of Love Me Do it was recorded literally that morning so you can't get much more synchronous than that! In the second Stowe radio special they play LMD from the tape and it just sounded so much more jaunty with that bottom end.

So... full disclosure... these are fakes! But it's still The Beatles and really those parts did not vary tremendously from performance to performance like the guitar or vocals might. Someone pointed out that the bass on SOG sounds a bit busy and I tend to agree so I might try the other BBC version and see how that sounds. I also found that including a faint trace of the BBC vocal also works although I didn't do that here, but on some songs where the voice is inaudible that might work.

But at least it will produce a more listenable version.
I figured as much. There's no way to extract low end where there is none to begin with. However, the merge seems to work. And it does render the recording a bit more pleasant on the ear. However, I am more of a purist and prefer the original recording without the additives. That certainly doesn't mean to cease what you're doing. I'd still like to hear more. Just that, given the choice, I'd gravitate to the original show in its entirety. Just one guy's opinion.

Cheers!