1CD (~71min) Compilation from the Mono EP Collection (1992)

Fan created remixes and rare variations
fvallejt

Re: 1CD (71min) Compilation from the Mono EP Collection (1992)

Post by fvallejt »

thank you very much !!
alphabeatles

Re: 1CD (~71min) Compilation from the Mono EP Collection (1992)

Post by alphabeatles »

Who knows WHAT I've got in my collection at this point! I'm always trying to make sense of it...

"In August 1982, the first compact disc was manufactured." So, hmm!

I did download this offering, so thanks.
BungalowJim

Post by BungalowJim »

The 7" vinyl EP boxset was released in 1981, the CD EP boxset was released in 1992. You might have a 1981 vinyl rip.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

alphabeatles wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:15 am Who knows WHAT I've got in my collection at this point! I'm always trying to make sense of it...

"In August 1982, the first compact disc was manufactured." So, hmm!

I did download this offering, so thanks.
Now, I'm worried!
When alphabeatles doesn't know what's in his collection...
ragged
or
tagged?
We are all going learn the things we know already
again and again and again and again and and and and again...
Trusting your ears = Trusting your memory
Tags aren't old or new...
just necessary.
Please pass the sweet and sour recollections!
Thank you, bring back the picture-disc.
The simple life was so much easier.
Real rarities are found in a box with 13 other albums.
KC
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

I've got mono tracks labeled "1992 5" CD Singles Collection" with no metadata but the waveform matches something called "1992 Reissue" found on the Soul Sucker.

Otherwise I don't know what in the world I have in this regard!

"1989 3" CD Singles Collection-Parlophone CDBSC"

"1992 CD EP box"

From a text file:

"The Beatles Singles Collection" (BSC-1)--was issued in December 1982. While I haven't heard any part of it, I doubt very much it would have been digitally-remastered that early on. It was probably cut from the same masters used for the March 1976 set "The Singles Collection 1962-1970". That one contained 23 singles--the 22 originals + Yesterday/I Should Have Known Better.

As far as I know, the first set of digitally-remastered singles came out on 3" discs in November of 1989--"Beatles CD Singles Set" (EMI CDBSC 1). It then came out on 5" discs in November of 1992--"The Beatles Singles Collection" (Parlophone CDBSP 1).

Steve Hoffman et. al. have nothing but praise for both the CD singles and EP sets. There are numerous SH threads on the issue. But note: in those threads, the two sets are often, if not always, compared to the 1987 digital masters of the albums, IIRC. So the issue might be more complicated than it seems. Hoffman does mention, however, that cutting singles and EPs is much more challenging than cutting 33s. I'll try to find more on that, as it might well have a direct bearing on the present issue.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't spent any time trying to compare vinyl 45s/EPs with my CD singles/EPs. I do find both sets to be somewhat bright at times (read unnatural highs), but I can understand why many people find them very appealing (especially the EPs). They do sound better than the CD albums, in my opinion.

2019: NEW LIMITED EDITION COLLECTION OF SEVEN-INCH SINGLES CUT FROM THE MASTER TAPES
We are proud to announce the release of this collectible box set presenting 46 tracks on 23 7-inch vinyl singles, in faithfully reproduced international picture sleeves, accompanied by a 40-page booklet with photos, ephemera, and detailed essays by Beatles historian Kevin Howlett.
These singles, plus an exclusive new double A-side single for the mid-1990s-issued tracks “Free As A Bird” and “Real Love,” are newly remastered from their original master tapes and cut for vinyl at Abbey Road Studios for a new limited edition boxed set.

The Mobile Fidelity Box is widely considered an audio joke with its smiley face EQ (boosted bass and treble, midrange suckout).
There was also a Japanese set on red vinyl, beautifully pressed but clean and sterile sounding.
In the digital realm, have you heard the Green Apple USB ?
That had the albums in stereo at 44.1/24-bit and loses a lot of the stridency you noted in the Remastered stereo CD box.
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

Nothing but praise for the CD singles? The SH forum is full of criticism on the use of a stereo head for the playback *and* subsequently using Y mixing to create a phased mono end-result which isn’t fixable (one example thread). They are all positive about the EP box though, that’s true, as there the correct mono heads where used.
Last edited by harrylime on Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaizoku

Post by gaizoku »

Thank you.
ThePurpleApple

Post by ThePurpleApple »

Re upload?
JohnMiller

Post by JohnMiller »

Re upload? x2
If they are the CDs even better
Nine-0-Nine

Post by Nine-0-Nine »

hxxps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pSH79O8UQubtBUH74x7H3196GXLj4h9A?usp=sharing