Whatever became of EMI tape dispute?

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
jpgrcat007

Re: Whatever became of EMI tape dispute?

Post by jpgrcat007 »

Between 2015-2018 Walmart have some agreement, & leaked a few semi-official
versions of Beatles albums from the first 4 album period, on Stargrove label

There were many artists done on the label at a budget price
zappaf78

Post by zappaf78 »

jpgrcat007 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:09 pm Between 2015-2018 Walmart have some agreement, & leaked a few semi-official

I remember these. I did open one and they sounded like from an LP source. I never got the yellow one. I do remember seeing the LP "Twist and Shout" from Stargrove, and a Rolling Stones LP. Those LPs did not last long, either all sold out or withdrawn. I never seen another copy available.
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

https://find-and-update.company-informa ... download=0
Here are the accounts of Calderstone... very funny to state the decline of physical sales as a risk when it is something that the majors are looking for.
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

jpgrcat007 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:09 pm Between 2015-2018 Walmart have some agreement, & leaked a few semi-official

Nothing like semi official... companies releasing records of recordings which fell in the public domain and therefore that the artist could not prevent from being released. The late French singer Aznavour complained about that but he sued them because they used pictures of him without his consent (right of image). They had to change their covers.
Bazilnerk

Post by Bazilnerk »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:53 pm Retroactive laws are the scourge of democracy.

Let's turn honest people into criminals by overiding the laws in the past. Great idea.
I agree, but suspect in this case it's pretty much unenforceable provided you remove the items from sale.

Broadcasts are now the only thing that goes out of copyright after 50 years. - Wonder when they will sneakily change that too!
Choking Smoker

Post by Choking Smoker »

I'd be very surprised if Universal et al didn't have their own fulltime lawyers making it no extra expense to them to drag this one out forever if necessary...appealing any points or rulings that aren't in their favour, who was it who said that you can have as much justice as you can afford?

Personally my only hope, and I suspect it's a realistic one is that Geoff made some "safety copies" in case anything happened to the original.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I can't imagine why Emerick's estate are even bothering. Even if they win, what are they going to do with it? Press it onto a public domain cd? How many sales would it get? A few thousand at best. Perhaps they imagine that it is going to sell in the millions.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Bazilnerk

Post by Bazilnerk »

I suspect that they are hoping Apple offer them a ridiculous amount for it - Think they will be disapointed.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Yeah the only reason Apple want it is to stop anyone from hearing it. So they wouldn't offer more than their standard 2000 per song or whatever it is now with inflation. The GE estate maybe thinks that they would release it on cd and so expect a six figure sum in exchange. Chance would be a fine thing.

Let's face it, the only thing we might ever get to hear from this tape is a few 30 second extracts in between some talking heads chatting about how great and historical it is. :lol:
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Golem

Post by Golem »

They have to be paying way more than that in legal fees right? I mean I feel like if apple does buy it they'd def put it on some sort of PPM or Early Years set, but maybe that's just me being overly optimistic