Live at Stowe School, Buckingham, UK (NEW Full Recording, April 4th, 1963)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
walrus gumboot

Re: Live at Stowe School, Buckingham, UK (NEW Full Recording, April 4th, 1963)

Post by walrus gumboot »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Doug wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:34 pm I was joking. Someone erased some material at the end of the tape by recording "Surfin' Bird."
mikec

Post by mikec »

beatlesbelmo wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:50 pm Ordered my copy of the Fab release yesterday. Just $20 plus shipping. A bargain in my view.
Oh boy, this is like when Voodoo R and others promote his own CD-R/DVD-R/BDR copies all over the internet (even at the official McCartney Facebook group) of stuff they just downloaded.
$20 plus shipping for a home-made CDR of stuff he just downloaded from HERE is not a bargain but a scam.
The real silver bootleg is around $50 dollars (actually less in Japan but we have to add the shipping cost) and for what it is, that's a real bargain and the real product.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I have always hated the song Surfin' Bird since I was 10 years old. I mean, really hated it. So for it to pop up on this tape, obliterating most of a precious live performance of Money... well, that just takes my dislike of it to new heights.

And if The Beatles hadn't started late, we might've had the live version of Long Tall Sally to end all versions.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:10 pm I have always hated the song Surfin' Bird since I was 10 years old.
Dude!! The Trashmen! This was their big hit. They have bunches of other songs, too. But this was their claim to fame. Yeah, it's annoying. More than that, it's senseless. The words mean less than nothing. But, the beat, man. The vibe. This is so out there. No, I'm not going to convince you of anything here. Nor do I need to.

My love for this song is tied to my Dad's love for this song, and songs like it. I have an ethereal musical bond to the songs he grew up with, to the artists he grew up with. We have this connection and can refer to it frequently in our conversations.

In the grand pantheon of great bands, The Trashmen is right up there at about #10,006 or so. But the memories that Surfin' Bird elicits are priceless.

However, that said...it's a rude awakening to hear that in place of what would have otherwise been a much more priceless recording of The Beatles Live.

And I have another anecdote.
In the 80's, the local classic rock radio station here was called, KLSX 97.1. Classic rock came into being in the mid 1980's here in SoCal. Every night on KLSX they had a program called, "Album Archives." At midnight they would track an album all the way through. I would faithfully be stationed by my stereo, with my tape recorder at the ready to collect yet another classic album. Well....one night the DJ was asleep at the wheel (or was he?...) Halfway through an album he cued up, "Heard It In A Love Song" (Marshall Tucker) came bursting through the speakers, polluting the otherwise serene night, and destroying the vibe. And my tape recording, too. Not only did it shatter the mood, it shattered the night, shattered my high. Damn near shattered all the glass in the apartment. An awful shock. This same kind of shock is certainly visited on the Beatles recording by the entirely unwelcome presence of Surfin' Bird.

But I still love Surfin' Bird. The bird is the word, man!
ashwom1

Post by ashwom1 »

I was at the annual Beatles Convention in Liverpool yesterday and there were already double CD's of the Stowe gig for sale on the FAB label.

That's fast work!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Ziggy C wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:15 pmThe bird is the word, man!
Have you heard the bird?
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Sheldi

Post by Sheldi »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:23 am
Ziggy C wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:15 pmThe bird is the word, man!
Have you heard the bird?
It flew away ...
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

I try not to discuss things I don’t like. It just puts negativity out there. But I will make a exception for Surfin' Bird. I despise that song with all my dark little heart.
Doug

Post by Doug »

I love "Surfin' Bird." It's "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow" on speed. :D
hallucalation

Post by hallucalation »

Surfin' Bird is one of the coolest songs released in 1963. The birth of garage rock and proto-punk right here.