phil_lip series

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
RubberSolof

Re: phil_lip series

Post by RubberSolof »

Phil_Lip wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:18 pm Nice to see interest in my collections still. PL15 and PL17 were never completed. One of them was to be a 'Sometime in New York City' deluxe set, I can't recall the the other one at the moment.
Circumstances prevent me from doing any more for the time being, but I do expect that to change at some point in the future.
Truth be told, many of the originals could do with updating too!
Hi Phil....nice to see you here! You have a lot of fans of your work!
hkb

Post by hkb »

RubberSolof wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:55 pm
Phil_Lip wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:18 pm Nice to see interest in my collections still. PL15 and PL17 were never completed. One of them was to be a 'Sometime in New York City' deluxe set, I can't recall the the other one at the moment.
Circumstances prevent me from doing any more for the time being, but I do expect that to change at some point in the future.
Truth be told, many of the originals could do with updating too!
Hi Phil....nice to see you here! You have a lot of fans of your work!

Yes thank you phil I like your old post on BZ hope see more in the future.
bsizzy_27

Post by bsizzy_27 »

Chicagofanforever 5+ wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:35 pm The Phil_lip series is one of my favorite collections. A fantastic job of collecting some rare tracks as well as adding those 45's to each set. Nice job on the transfer of those singles also. And really nice artwork to go along with the music. Thanks Phil_lip!
Got your Walls and Bridges set this morning. Thanks a lot for your work! I'm not as much as an expert when it comes to Lennon bootlegged material, so I think this set will be a good starting point me, if I don't decide to go for all of it.
whatgoeson

Post by whatgoeson »

Lots of things in albums like Time Takes Time and Bad Boy that could use some more expansion!
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Notes that were included in my older incomplete download of Walls And Bridges (Deluxe Edition), seemingly not present in the new upload:

I've tried to present this album demonstrating the development from the earliest composing tapes, through the cassette demos and rehearsals, to the recording of the album and beyond. Not every scrap of material available is included, some of which circulates in very poor quality. Having said that, there may well be things I've missed which are worthy of inclusion and I'd be happy to take suggestions. I've also excluded the live tracks recorded with Elton John, I think they would be better collected together in a comprehensive live compilation, and also the session tapes released by HMC in recent years. Whilst I find it absolutely fascinating sitting in on the sessions, it does not work well for casual listening!

Disc 1 - Demos & Rehearsals

Tracks 1-15

Beginning with the earliest composing tapes and running through to mostly complete demos. These are mostly sourced from the Rapple 'Walls And Bridges Recording Sessions' release. Sound quality varies enormously on the original tapes, these have been eq'd and to something more consistent. It is also obvious that some of the tracks have had aggressive noise reduction applied, Unfortunately I have been unable to find better sources for these. A few of the tracks have been shortened and one or two have missing sections restored from alternate sources.

Tracks 16-21

We move into the studio as John leads the band through rehearsals the songs. Mainly sourced from the Rapple release again, I actually prefer many of these tracks in their raw form compared to the album versions. Edited versions of some of these recordings formed the basis for those on the Menlove Avenue album.

Disc 2 - More rehearsals and outtakes

Continuing from where we left off from disc 1 we find ourselves at the recording sessions proper. Collected here are the various outtakes released on Anthology and other official releases.

Disc 3 - Album & Extras

Tracks 1-12

The original album sourced from the OOP first CD release.

Tracks 13-17

The edited rehearsal versions that appeared on Menlove Avenue. During working on this album I noticed for the first time 'Steel and Glass' has some serious sound quality issues. If you listen carefully to the original CD you can hear various clicks where there shouldn't be and distorted sound at various points where John is singing. At first I thought they were problems with digital extraction but listening to the raw version they are there too. I went on to spend many hours removing these but I may have missed one or two!

Track 18

This track was substantially faster on Menlove Avenue, it is presented here at its original speed.

Disc 4 - Remixes

Tracks 1-12

Downmixed 8-Track version of the album. John completely remixed the album for 8-Track, the remixes are far from subtle and make for an interesting listen. Most interesting is 'Steel and Glass' which runs for nearly a minute longer than the album version. However, as far as I know two copies of this circulate, the first has reasonable fidelity but suffers from quite severe wowing, the second has virtually no top end but is is stable. I have combined elements of both of these versions and even patched it in a few places with the regular album version to produce something at least listenable. Some tracks worked out better than others but until a better source is found it will have to do.

Tracks 13-19

These tracks were remixed for the 2004 reissue, the remainder were for some reason were not.

Track 20

The longer version from the Lennon Legend DVD.
Gotham Johnny

Post by Gotham Johnny »

Downmixed 8-Track version of the album. John completely remixed the album for 8-Track, the remixes are far from subtle and make for an interesting listen.

He remixed the album for quadrophonic and this is a downmix of that yes? Pretty sure the stereo 8-track release was the same mix-wise as the LP and cassette.
ringo9

Post by ringo9 »

Thanks
Phil_Lip

Post by Phil_Lip »

Gotham Johnny wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:05 pm Downmixed 8-Track version of the album. John completely remixed the album for 8-Track, the remixes are far from subtle and make for an interesting listen.

He remixed the album for quadrophonic and this is a downmix of that yes? Pretty sure the stereo 8-track release was the same mix-wise as the LP and cassette.
No, there was no quad release for the album, only the 8-track.
Most of my links are to OneDrive. However, OneDrive does impose a download limit and when this is reached displays a message that the files are deleted or have expired. Leave it a while and try again later.
Gotham Johnny

Post by Gotham Johnny »

There was definitely a quad mix of the album (I have it). Are you saying it was only available on 8-track and not LP? If so I'll defer to you on that. Best, GJ.
Phil_Lip

Post by Phil_Lip »

Gotham Johnny wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:40 pm There was definitely a quad mix of the album (I have it). Are you saying it was only available on 8-track and not LP? If so I'll defer to you on that. Best, GJ.
My information is from Wikipedia.

'Shortly after its release, Lennon personally mixed a true quadrophonic version of Walls and Bridges ("for the 20 people who buy quad", he joked in his 1974 WNEW-FM radio interview in New York).[49] The quadrophonic mix was issued only on 8-track in the US.[36][nb 5]'

The Quadraphonic Discography only references the 8-track too.

http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quad ... adpall.htm

It would be interesting to see what your LP actually contains.
Most of my links are to OneDrive. However, OneDrive does impose a download limit and when this is reached displays a message that the files are deleted or have expired. Leave it a while and try again later.