FABRACADABRA!

Fan created remixes and rare variations
MarkRJones1970

Re: FABRACADABRA! (V6, V8, V9)

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:51 pm
MarkRJones1970 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:44 pm The gaps/dropouts are in the middle of tracks though, not inbetween
The location of the dropouts suggests to me that it is at the join between zip 1 and 2. Did you unpack it the usual way or try to join the two zips together perhaps?
No, I just unzipped zip 1 after downloading both as I was told to do. There's more than 1 dropout though, I counted at least 3 or 4
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:26 am
Rupert Pupkin wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:52 am I have burnt it on vinyl-CD replica
What discs are those? Can we see a picture? The only ones I've seen come from Japan and the postage is a bitch! Also they have writing on the labels. What I would really like a a vinyl cdr with a blank white label, but I'm not sure that printers can print on a label that is not full size. Anyone know?

It would be cool to be able to make cdrs that literally look like small records.
Well, I use the same brand since 15 years (Primeo CD-R vinyl-like vintage) and not sign of defect so far.
I use to rip audio CD with XLD with paranoia settings and not defect so far. Of course, such things are bronzing can been seen since the surface layer is black but I got problems with a lot of brand Sony a long time ago.
These are all black CD-R including the burning surface layer. On the top, you can feel it with your fingers the "vinyl grooves"; it's not just a picture.
But it is very small and does not affect the CD playback.
Sony does such CD-R vinyl-like, but the top has an inner circle colored and the burning surface layer was like other CD-R, not black, so it did not look like a vinyl.
They are also available with white stamp; but I can't print such stamp for the inner circle (I have a basic Inkjet printer), so I prefer these ones with the vintage stamp.

Overburn is possible; I play it on a Marrantz CD player (CD TXT is enabled)

Compatibility with my previous CD player, DVD or Blu-Ray stand-alone DVD player, or the old CD player of my mummy worked just fine; thus the black coat is fully compatible with all CD players (at home, friends, etc...) I put these discs.

I use to buy it via amazon.fr at a private seller in Europe. It takes 1 week to arrive, they put the 50-CDR in a cardboard box; so it arrives in mint condition. And it is not expensive.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:50 pm
Rusty wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:49 am
Is this what you are after My Lord?
Yes indeed, but what sort of discs are those and how does one print the label?
Lord Reith you might try contacting the person who was producing/selling The Fortunes ~ Live At The BBC 1965 - 1972, he may be able to enlighten you.

I'll PM his email address to you.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Thanks Rusty that is helpful info. Once a long, long time ago I did buy a pack of five black cdrs (that is, black recording surface) and they did not work. I mean, they didn't play at all. So I'm surprised to hear that these are so compatible.

I would like to print directly to the disc, but I'll have to work out what printer could do it. Otherwise, where would you get blank white labels that small?!
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:26 am Thanks Rusty that is helpful info. Once a long, long time ago I did buy a pack of five black cdrs (that is, black recording surface) and they did not work. I mean, they didn't play at all. So I'm surprised to hear that these are so compatible.

I would like to print directly to the disc, but I'll have to work out what printer could do it. Otherwise, where would you get blank white labels that small?!
I have a Canon Inkjet; color cardridge are more expensive than this Inkjet printer. But brilliant or matte paper depending on what design (photos, painting), the results looks like it was an official stuff.

A printer which would print on the inner center of a blank CD-R, well that's certainly expensive. Probably a laser or expensive Inkjet.
They sell the same brand (Primeo vinyl-like CDR) but with a white inner circle to be printed with a special printer.

Sure, it is possible to print on a very small paper a sticker to put on the white inner of a CD-R, but I totally do not recommend to do this.
They sell some A4 papers with stickers on it (you have to configure your printer, to print it exactly on the sticker) and you paste it on the inner circle of the CD-R. That's the easiest solution.

But I remember a snail-mail trade when someone used to this (he printed the Apple records (the green apple Beatles) and put it with a kind of glue on the CDR. Well, there was a bit glue on the inner circle and I could not eject the f*cking disk of my Sony player. I had to open it to get the f*cking disk. Sorry but that was really a pain in the ass.

So, my guess is that if you want an inner circle with your own graphic, use a white inner circle CD-R not a sticker.
But get some advices here about the printer.

Regarding the black coat : I used to buy CD-R in the early 90's : Sony, Philips, TDK, Verbatim. The surface layer was blue tint at the time; and a lot of brand suffered from bronzing several years after; like a decade. In the meantime, original Vigotone or Yellow Dog pressed or even Vigotone CD-R (Mitsui Gold CD-R) true Vigotone when they went into CD-R (perhaps to be more discreet ?) in 1994-1998 (until the end) did not change physically.
I use XLD with Paranoia settings, to be sure to have an accurate rip; and it takes more time to rip an old Sony CD-R in good shape than a black coat CD-R.
I don't why; perhaps it's because of the reflection of the light of the laser which is more homogenous than with a gold or blue surface layer.

The first time I saw black coat CD-R was for Playstation games rips. But audio CD-R with black coat from this brand (Primeo) worked since 10 years on all CD players, DVD player or blu-ray player I have tried (friends's CD players, blu-ray players, etc... even if they have been burned since 10 years (I used to buy this brand, and another since 10 years). XLD ripped these CD-R faster than some Sony or Verbatim.
The vinyl-like does not make some vibrations/noise while playing (I have heard some CD-R making some vibration even if they did not have a vinyl-like aspect; just regular CD-R like Sony)
The thing is that unless you rip with XLD you can see if a brand is bronzing or altering; but that never happened so far.
hkb

Post by hkb »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:26 am Thanks Rusty that is helpful info. Once a long, long time ago I did buy a pack of five black cdrs (that is, black recording surface) and they did not work. I mean, they didn't play at all. So I'm surprised to hear that these are so compatible.

I use a epson xp-6105 for print directly on the disc. It is a good printer and cheap as well. There for a canon but thy are now expensive to buy.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Rupert Pupkin wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:38 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:18 am
harrythebannister wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:18 am

I’ve always thought it sounded like “To your mush” and I think it’s John.
I’d be fascinated to read others opinions on this too.
Maybe the voice can be separated from the backing.
Sounds to me like John halfway through a sentence: "- in your muff".
I always thought it could be "[it]o your mouth![/i]" - which would makes sense with the guitar blasting opening and the lyrics
as if, in French, George was saying "prends ça dans la gueule / (ou la tronche)"
This was severely researched and studied on Youtube. I gotta look for the video but it's the end of vocal overdubbing. Listen to John's accent of 'Too mucha' and slow down the tempo on a multi track recorder like audacity to hear John's 'ch' sound. It's 'oooo muh' with faint 'ch'
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Thanks for your suggestions guys.
Lord Reith

Re: FABRACADABRA! (V7)

Post by Lord Reith »

We're close to Christmas now, so here is Volume 7 a little early. :o

The usual improvements in quality over Abracadabra, plus a few new tracks. Demixed mostly from the standard stereo mixes.

Thanks to DVwerks for restoring the NEMS bag. Back covers for 6, 8 and 9 are also included.

Image Image

hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qpp1UvHVjryCDnEvzmpssbiP6asxt8LI/view?usp=share_link

(thanks to applebonkerz for re-ups)
Last edited by Lord Reith on Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A_Laakso

Re: FABRACADABRA! (V6, V7 new!, V8, V9)

Post by A_Laakso »

wow