Instant Karma (Top Of The Pops twin track)

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Claude_de_Faux

Re: Instant Karma (Top Of The Pops twin track)

Post by Claude_de_Faux »

Instant thank you !
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

ruedabeat wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:05 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:14 am Here is something interesting you'll all enjoy...

So you've all seen the video? Yeah, of course you have. In mono.

But here is the video synched to a demixed stereo version. On the left you have the original acetate that John was miming to (thanks to the chap who gave me this... 11 years ago now so I've forgotten your name!) and on the right all the live audio that wasn't on the acetate. This includes: John's vocal with slapback echo, the distant sound of Jim Keltner's live drumming (which has different fills to the single... watch and listen closely) and some guy in a yellow jacket banging a tambourine out of time. In fact, both Jim and Yellow Guy go out of time towards the end but John (with the aid of headphones) manages to stay in synch.

One thing I love about this clip is watching Klaus Voorman's face. You can see him getting a huge amount of pleasure out of watching John perform live. It must have been extraordinary for him to be up there with John, having seen him as an unknown all those years ago on a rickety stage in Hamburg.
My Master LR, sorry to say that the Drumer is the deceased Alan White(who also played the Drums in the original recording), not Jim Keltner. :geek:
Makes you wonder how many drummers are Alan White, eh? Cloned like sheep.Drumming from Love Me Do to drumming for Instant Karma to drumming for Oasis If any Alan Whites are born and don't become drummers I bet the UK hangs em by the nuts for squirrels.
ruedabeat

Post by ruedabeat »

Darth Kybiel wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:24 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:14 am Here is something interesting you'll all enjoy...

But here is the video synched to a demixed stereo version. On the left you have the original acetate that John was miming to (thanks to the chap who gave me this... 11 years ago now so I've forgotten your name!) and on the right all the live audio that wasn't on the acetate. This includes: John's vocal with slapback echo, the distant sound of Jim Keltner's live drumming (which has different fills to the single... watch and listen closely) and some guy in a yellow jacket banging a tambourine out of time. In fact, both Jim and Yellow Guy go out of time towards the end but John (with the aid of headphones) manages to stay in synch.

One thing I love about this clip is watching Klaus Voorman's face. You can see him getting a huge amount of pleasure out of watching John perform live. It must have been extraordinary for him to be up there with John, having seen him as an unknown all those years ago on a rickety stage in Hamburg.
My Master LR, sorry to say that the Drumer is the deceased Alan White(who also played the Drums in the original recording), not Jim Keltner. :geek:
Makes you wonder how many drummers are Alan White, eh? Cloned like sheep.Drumming from Love Me Do to drumming for Instant Karma to drumming for Oasis If any Alan Whites are born and don't become drummers I bet the UK hangs em by the nuts for squirrels.
The Drummer in Love me do was Andy White, George Martin's Studio Drummer. 8-)
Last edited by ruedabeat on Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

That's what I thought, that's Alan White on the video . . .
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

Gringo557 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:55 pm

That's what I thought, that's Alan White on the video . . . I recall Keltner saying Jealous Guy was the first Lennon track he played on (???)
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

"Just as I suspected!
You're suffering from a disease that is so rare...
it hasn't got a name yet!"
(This effort belongs in the Lord Reith section).
Now, a word about post-unification economics...

Mrs. Kennedy was out on the beach.
The Musicians Union was arguing about the cheeks.
They were sinking at the clambake...
If you please everyone
then you've made a big mistake
and nothing is getting done.

(Plagiarized):
Initially acts performing on Top Of The Pops would mime (lip-sync) to the commercially released record, but in 1966 after discussions with the Musicians' Union, miming was banned. Union rules required that groups re-record backing tracks with union members performing when possible. After a few weeks during which some bands' attempts to play as well as on their records were somewhat lacking, a compromise was reached whereby a specially recorded backing track was permitted, as long as all the musicians on the backing track were also seen in the 'performance'. This was intended to protect work for musicians, but also meant that being an MU member was effective a pre-requisite for appearing on Top of the Pops. However, as The Guardian recounted in 2001: "In practice, artists pretended to re-record the song, then used their original tapes".

So, this backing track only features Klaus, Alan White, Yoko and John Lennon?
I can't hear Yoko's contributions. I hear the vocal, the piano, the drums, and no bass, but backing vocals and clapping are plentiful. I wonder why a fairly basic recording sounds so harsh. This performance has always made me wonder what we are really seeing and is it what we're really hearing. Is the audio from the actual mimed performance? Who supplies the backing vocals and clapping? That must be part of the pre-recorded backing track. And yet, it looks as the the drumming is live...but we know that the band is miming. How is the live vocal microphone able to exclude the ambient racket that must be audible from drums and crowd? And where is the bass? Is this really a pre-recorded backing track? I'm confused but, it's always been anomaly-ville. I do like the stereo effect because it adds to the spirited vocal...which seems to be very live. Except that we can see the drumming is actually NOT the drums that are heard...which is pretty awesome considering the hard parts look perfectly in synch. I'm still not convinced that this is a recording from the 'broadcast' because there isn't much close up shots of the singer. And at 2:13 we have a cut from John(long) to John(close up) that coincides with an audio cut "yea/yeah" that might be continuous...but it does sound awkward. Regardless, I love the sound of John's voice on this song. Did John EVER perform this song in concert? Spector's last stand! Oh, and the final point of contention is that I don't think the guy right behind John has paid his Union dues. Not once did the open mic pick up any trace of the 'pre-recorded' tambourine!
Thank you, Lord Reith!
Great selection...made even greater!
KC
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Did John EVER perform this song in concert? Spector's last stand! Oh, and the final point of contention is that I don't think the guy right behind John has paid his Union dues. Not once did the open mic pick up any trace of the 'pre-recorded' tambourine!
Thank you, Lord Reith!
Great selection...made even greater!
KC
[/quote]

I believe he did at one or both of the Madison Square Garden concerts.
thewarpedvinyljunkie

Post by thewarpedvinyljunkie »

Thank you, sir!
The Warped Vinyl Junkie

"He never wore his shoes; we all knew he was dead."
macca4ever

Post by macca4ever »

Many thanks!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Jim Keltner, Alan White, Andy White, Bernard Purdie... doesn't matter, all I know is that it aint Ringo! :lol:

Btw I actually thought I was putting it in the video section, but mulling it over now I think it is in the right place since the focus of it is the 'remix and variation'.

Great performance by John at any rate.