Disque Americ Revolver

Fan created remixes and rare variations
paul62

Re: Disque Americ Revolver

Post by paul62 »

alphabeatles wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:14 pm The version I just found (as noted above) does indeed seem to be a wider mix than the '87 CD, but after a quick A/B listen (and peek at the waveforms) it also seems similar to the 1978 US Capitol LP and 2006 Capitol Albums box. So maybe there is nothing unique about this Canadian Capitol pressing mix?
I don't think the LP came out sounding so wide because of anything I've done (or didn't do) when 'dropping it. At this point, I don't know if the LP was mastered in Canada or in the USA. This pressing may well be an anomaly, a one-off, for all I know.
There'd likely be someone (or another) over at SH Music Forums who might be able to shed some light on this.
alphabeatles wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:14 pm A 24/192 drop of a vinyl record sounds really important but it's like a band occupying the first 3 floors of a skyscraper (look how high it goes!). And this practice fills your hard drive with mostly empty skyscrapers when condos would do.
I normally do 24 bit 48 kHz 'drops: this 'drop was done as a 24 bit 192 kHz 'drop for no particular reason (but will end up being a 24 bit 48 kHz FLAC). Now that my interest has been piqued, I might 'drop it again at some point, using a different cartridge to see if it comes out sounding so wide, yet again.
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Compare the various Capitol mixes to see if that helps identify what this mix is. Based on my quick peek I suspect wide stereo is a "Capitol thing". And in at least one case a "Canadian thing" (Beatlemania).

I understand that stylus shape is important for catching all the grooviness of an LP.

As for hi-res, I recently decided to put a limit on my collection at 24/48 (both needledrops and hi-res digital) for various mostly practical reasons:

•Limitations of human hearing
•Limitations of vinyl sources
•Limitations of storage space (we all download like little piggies and it catches up with even the largest drives). I just recovered 200 gigs by downsampling all the hi-res (and supposed hi-res) stuff I collected over the years, and it still sounds fantastic
•Limitations of playback capability: My Mac can only play 24/96 at best. I have my iPod hooked up to my "iRoq" (either a 1972 Sherwood or 1989 Sony receiver with 12" 1970s Erath speakers, and in an apartment neither the neighbors nor my family members really want to hear that...). The iPod might even have its own sonic limits; I wasn't able to find a recent discussion quickly.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

paul62 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:13 am You might recall me making a post about speed differences between the mono and stereo versions of the '64 output of The Beatles at "YWSM" and in "the 'zone" a few years ago (I'd posted this information at The 910 and SH Music Forums, as well, back then). Thought I'd copy this post of mine, verbatim, from a thread at my own joint and paste it here as it might be pertinent to the discussion:
Yeh I do remember that and I thought it strange at the time. It's hard to know what is going on there. The 2009 stereos don't match the speed of my 1980s vinyl rips, and after comparing a lot of tracks I half came to the conclusion that they had messed around with the speeds slightly in 2009. I should compare the old stereo vinyls to the old mono vinyls. But it could also be due to a large number of tape recorders at EMI, all having slightly different native speeds. So the speed of a mix would be dependent on the particular combination of equipment used that day.

My original point though - that no tape recorder has a variation of 0.62% from one playback to the next, not even a cheap cassette recorder - is why I think the Canadian AHDN is from a different machine. A machine who's native speed wobbled back and forth by 1.24% would be completely useless. It'd sound like an old hand cranked gramophone.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
vinylwall

Post by vinylwall »

Doug wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:15 pm ...There's a glitch 2:20 into "Happiness Is A Warm Gun"...
Phil_Lip wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:19 pm Glitch at the start of Helter Skelter too.
I have to admit, I have been comparing the 1987 US pressing with the 30th Anniversary pressing, and I can't hear the "glitch" in "Happiness Is A Warm Gun". What exactly is the "glitch"?

And the opening notes on "Helter Skelter" sounds exactly the same on both as well. I'm not sure what the "glitch" is that people are hearing here either.
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

vinylwall wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:05 pm
Doug wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:15 pm ...There's a glitch 2:20 into "Happiness Is A Warm Gun"...
Phil_Lip wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:19 pm Glitch at the start of Helter Skelter too.
I have to admit, I have been comparing the 1987 US pressing with the 30th Anniversary pressing, and I can't hear the "glitch" in "Happiness Is A Warm Gun". What exactly is the "glitch"?

And the opening notes on "Helter Skelter" sounds exactly the same on both as well. I'm not sure what the "glitch" is that people are hearing here either.
Check about 2:17-2:20 during the phrase "Happiness is a warm-- yes it is -- gun." Some (but I don't think all) of '87 pressings had a glitch. I've got an '87 US pressing, and a digital copy of a Dutch pressing. The glitch is way more prominent on the Dutch pressing. I just bought a 30th Anniversary set to see for myself... and I'm a tad disappointed. It sounds cleaner than the Dutch, but mostly on par with my '87 US pressing. Perhaps others can shine a light on this?
vinylwall

Post by vinylwall »

20YearsAgo wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:15 pm Check about 2:17-2:20 during the phrase "Happiness is a warm-- yes it is -- gun." Some (but I don't think all) of '87 pressings had a glitch. I've got an '87 US pressing, and a digital copy of a Dutch pressing. The glitch is way more prominent on the Dutch pressing. I just bought a 30th Anniversary set to see for myself... and I'm a tad disappointed. It sounds cleaner than the Dutch, but mostly on par with my '87 US pressing. Perhaps others can shine a light on this?
Ahh! Yes, in the "break" before the falsetto "gun". Thanks for pointing it out exactly. I still don't hear the 'glitch' in the "Helter Skelter" opening though. haha
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

If its glitches, fwips or other anomalies you want, try the excellent 'What Goes On' listing

http://wgo.signal11.org.uk/html/alpha-index.htm

I've spent many hours listening out for these. Some of the anomalies were ironed out in later masterings but are mostly valid for the 1987 CD set. Also, some of them became easier to pin point when the multitracks came out.
jpgrcat

Post by jpgrcat »

I went thru' on some of my CD's

Help! [Both Editions]
Rubber Soul [Both Editions]
Yellow Submarine-OST
Past Masters-Vols 1, & 2

are Disque Americ

Not sure if these are different to the 'Mastered at EMI' Canadian CD's
Huge Beatles Fan & collector Anything Beatles/Solo related,

which includes NEMS, Apple, Dark Horse, Ring'O, & MPL Labels

Beach Boys/Related, & The Byrds/CSNY/Related..& many other acts
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Thought I'd check "She Said She Said" from the Disque Americain version versus my '87 CD versus the USB stick version. The sonics of the '09 reissue of the track have been criticised for quite a long time at SH Forums (and elsewhere, no doubt).

No great difference EQ-wise between the Disque Americain version versus the regular '87 CD version: seems to be a very slight difference between the two near to the 20 kHz point (a very small bump in favour of the DA version, but nothing anyone here can hear):

Comparing those two versions to the '09 USB stick: the '09 waveform is inverted, the track needs to be speeded up by about 0.100% to more or less correlate to the two earlier issues. The EQ on the '09 version is a lot different, requiring a change like this to make it sound like the earlier issues:

The fadeouts on the regular '87 and the '09 issues can be gently amplified to match the DA version.
At any rate, here's the revamped 2009 USB stick version (with a gently amplified fadeout):

07 - She Said She Said (speed and EQ of USB stick version both matched to Disque Americain version by paul62)

hxxps://gofile.io/d/c90XbU

Then, doing the neat high pass filter trick after all that, the track sounds even more like the earlier versions:
hxxps://gofile.io/d/epta25
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I don't understand the problem people have with the 87 Revolver. It is exactly the same as the lp, except it isn't narrowed. I think people must be comparing it with the Ebbetts version, which definitely isn't flat.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene