HAVE YOU HEARD THE WORD? 1969 Beatles Bootleg Song in STEREO

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Lord Reith

Re: HAVE YOU HEARD THE WORD? 1969 Beatles Bootleg Song in STEREO

Post by Lord Reith »

I'm embarassed to say I've always loved this song. It's clearly meant as a respectful tongue-in-cheek attempt at a Lennon tune. As good as anything The Rutles (or Oasis) did.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

I love it, too, especially since I know now that Kipner and Groves gave up on it and went home. Then Maurice and Billy stayed behind and got plastered and this was the result. I also love how somebody spirited the tape out of the studio and gave it to a guy who said, "I'll make records of that!"
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

There's also the story of how Maurice told Apple PR guy Dave Morel "I recorded a song called HYHTW with John Lennon but don't tell anyone!" Poor Dave spent years and years searching for that obscure disc. When he finally found it he told John, "I love that session you did with the Bee Gees!" and John had no idea what he was talking about!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Another spurious track I love is "Bye Bye Bye" real title Nice Time by Kenny Everett. Fans laboured for YEARS trying to work out what that was! Even as late as 1990 I can remember Belmos putting a bounty on the song and offering a free book to anyone who could work out what it was.
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:13 am Another spurious track I love is "Bye Bye Bye" real title Nice Time by Kenny Everett. Fans laboured for YEARS trying to work out what that was! Even as late as 1990 I can remember Belmos putting a bounty on the song and offering a free book to anyone who could work out what it was.
I've got a real nice recording of that now where I removed all the vinyl noises, and it's just like new.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
LFSDoc

Post by LFSDoc »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:13 am Another spurious track I love is "Bye Bye Bye" real title Nice Time by Kenny Everett. Fans laboured for YEARS trying to work out what that was! Even as late as 1990 I can remember Belmos putting a bounty on the song and offering a free book to anyone who could work out what it was.
Thing is, the bootlegged version was slowed down too so that’s why many thought it could be Ringo. Imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon the original studio version on an internet only compilation, realizing it was Kenny! I immediately shared my discovery on BZ 🤓
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

mojofilter wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:32 am Thank you! This was nice, with some nifty panning effects. I'd like to know about the truncated version on some bootlegs, that leaves out the middle eight on purpose, with a 'pausing the tape and coming back to the song in progress' effect. Where did that come from?
I too had that version 1st, with the 12 bar bit missing. I think the bootleggers left that off because it's obvious there that the singer isn't John. The rest of the song is a 'quite good' impression of him.

I love it too. I think it's hilarious and quite a catchy song. It sounds like all the participants are having a ball and this new stereo version is great and my go to version of it now.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
DocRobert

Post by DocRobert »

Thanks Mark, glad you like my stereo mix!

Kev (aka Doc Robert)
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

DocRobert wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:27 am Thanks Mark, glad you like my stereo mix!

Kev (aka Doc Robert)
Excellent job!

"Sing it now......."
DocRobert

Post by DocRobert »

Thanks Rickenbacker325!

Kev