Dig a Pony Rehearsal in the Rooftop ?!?!

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Rickenbacker325

Re: Dig a Pony Rehearsal in the Rooftop ?!?!

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

It was obviously not properly recorded…but partially filmed..so they just created a version
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

When New blue Soap was released - I now noticed why certain items from the rooftop concert appear in some releases and not others.

It appears - there were several sources - I think 6 sources.

Camera A - Rooftop MAIN
Camera B - Street and Playback
Camera B3 - Street
Camera C - Reception office in Apple
Camera D - Rooftop BACK.
and a Glyn Johns multitrack source for certain items recorded on Reel E90522 & E90524

so if you have all of these sources - you can put together things like a puzzle.

Glyn Johns recorded on multitrack a limited number of items - mainly song performances.
Camera A and D will give you a somewhat stereo recording of many items and items in between the main songs.
---and the remaining sources provide some items people are are of.

SO like some of the warm-ups, God Save the Queen, etc - you'll find on different sources as main sources may not have been recording at that time.

Take a look at that info it makes more sense. Releases of the Rooftop concert in the past varied because of the producer's maybe missing a source, or they wanted a stereo version, all the way to today - why do you think Peter Jackson - switch between sources as well....which might have irritated some people looking for a complete rooftop concert?

There was NO high quality multitrack SOURCE that TOTALLY RECORDED EVERY MOMENT in the concert - so editing still had to be done!

I hope this makes sense -

steve
Gredel21

Post by Gredel21 »

Hi All

Im sure Peter Jackson wouldn't have put the documentary together if the footage was incomplete - but knowing that Peter is also a Beatle fan as well as a top notch Director He wouldnt have missed anything.

Now if only any missing footage resurfaces.

Greg
ruedabeat

Post by ruedabeat »

Gredel21 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:16 am Hi All

Im sure Peter Jackson wouldn't have put the documentary together if the footage was incomplete - but knowing that Peter is also a Beatle fan as well as a top notch Director He wouldnt have missed anything.

Now if only any missing footage resurfaces.

Greg
The Lord bless Peter Jackson is a good Director and also a good BeatlesFan. :geek:
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:37 pm
powerPC wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:28 pm And the 'snippet' of GSTQ sounds way better than previously available on the version in the Yellow Dog set
Yeah it does doesn't it. I think the version on the Yellow Dog set was captured from street level, hence it's quality.

I thought the GSTQ we had was them listening to a rooftop playback. I believe the PJ rooftop source music is from multitrack tapes. The crowd talk is from nagra, the long shot rooftop parts are multitrack tapes with reverb added, they sound more roomish than outdoors natural echo.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

millerTEK wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:09 am When New blue Soap was released - I now noticed why certain items from the rooftop concert appear in some releases and not others.

It appears - there were several sources - I think 6 sources.

Camera A - Rooftop MAIN
Camera B - Street and Playback
Camera B3 - Street
Camera C - Reception office in Apple
Camera D - Rooftop BACK.
and a Glyn Johns multitrack source for certain items recorded on Reel E90522 & E90524

so if you have all of these sources - you can put together things like a puzzle.

Glyn Johns recorded on multitrack a limited number of items - mainly song performances.
Camera A and D will give you a somewhat stereo recording of many items and items in between the main songs.
---and the remaining sources provide some items people are are of.

SO like some of the warm-ups, God Save the Queen, etc - you'll find on different sources as main sources may not have been recording at that time.

Take a look at that info it makes more sense. Releases of the Rooftop concert in the past varied because of the producer's maybe missing a source, or they wanted a stereo version, all the way to today - why do you think Peter Jackson - switch between sources as well....which might have irritated some people looking for a complete rooftop concert?

There was NO high quality multitrack SOURCE that TOTALLY RECORDED EVERY MOMENT in the concert - so editing still had to be done!

I hope this makes sense -

steve
And yet Peter Jackson said in an interview there were 10 camera sources used. 4 + 2 hidden cameras inside Apple and 4 cameras capturing random rooftop angles not captured by positioned cameras. Count how many camera angles are on that rooftop for each song from all the various sources we have.
Tex

Post by Tex »

PJ has already made it clear he is trying NOT to replicate "Let It Be". His video editing system even has the "Let It Be" footage flagged so he can avoid it. PJ sees his documentary as a companion piece to "Let It Be". That's why he is purposely NOT copying full performances from "Let It Be".

Hopefully a Blu-ray disc (of "Get Back" or "Let It Be") will have full performances with selectable camera angles.
Bnomusic1

Post by Bnomusic1 »

According to Complete Recording Sessions by Mark Lewishon, the 8 track recording tape has a brief rehearsal of Dig a Pony before it began. God Save the Queen was played while Alan Parsons was changing tapes, so only the last few seconds were caught on 8 track.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Bnomusic1 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:29 pm According to Complete Recording Sessions by Mark Lewishon, the 8 track recording tape has a brief rehearsal of Dig a Pony before it began. God Save the Queen was played while Alan Parsons was changing tapes, so only the last few seconds were caught on 8 track.
When I asked someone yesterday, they said it was a combination. The AI used took the street version of God Save The Queen and split to stems and then they used a different new program to match the stems to the sound quality of God Save The Queen on multitrack. They supposedly tried to do the same with the rooftop I Want You She's So Heavy rehearsal bit but couldn't get it to anyone's liking to use. I believe the idea is to do Get Back as a dvd/ Blu Ray in the same style as the Anthology DVD boxset with Let It Be restored version on the last 'bonus disc' with documentaries.