Let It Be Film - end of an era

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Wogew

Re: Let It Be Film - end of an era

Post by Wogew »

In Norway we also had the same thing going, free drinks and chips, and free screening. A Norwegian Disney representative said a few words before the show, just repeating a couple of sentences from the press release ("not available for fifty years...") Jackson and Lindsay-Hogg intro without any big revelations and obviously filmed separately and intercut. The theatre was not full. And Disney also gave us a free Get Back screening in 2021, with drinks and snacks. Tonight it's Stockholm, but only 20 seats are available for fans, first come, first served.

As for the film itself, it felt just like it has been on the best of the bootleg DVDs, some slight differences soundwise (didn't remember the tongue-clicking on "Two Of Us"), and at the end, the still image with the Get Back coda was replaced with white text on black for the credits, the accompanying sound being a rehearsal of "Oh! Darling", "River Rhine" and finally an instrumental which title escapes me. Throughout, the sound was mono or very close stereo (I positioned myself in the center of the theatre) and I got no Atmos feeling at the rooftop concert, it felt more like they just turned the sound up a notch for that segment.
Last edited by Wogew on Tue May 07, 2024 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

I remember watching it for the first time in 1982 with my Dad on UK TV. I'm sure it was a weekend afternoon and in the summer as I remember us having to draw the curtains to block out the sun as it was reflecting off the TV screen. Does anyone know what date it was shown back then? I would like to know if my memory is correct.

I loved it and didn't find it depressing at all. I was 12 years old and had been in to the Beatles for just under 2 years and seeing any footage of them was a rare treat back then, they were rarely on the TV. This was before we had a video recorder so I only got to watch it once. I remember my Dad loved it when they played 'One After 909' on the roof. That was one of his favourite songs. Whenever he said that The Beatles were a crap live band (his fav band being The Rolling Stones) I would smarmily remind him that his fav song was recorded LIVE. He didn't have any answer to that and he'd shut up.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
Wogew

Post by Wogew »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:41 am Does anyone know what date it was shown back then? I would like to know if my memory is correct.
BBC2 Saturday 8th May 1982, 3:10-4:27pm
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Wogew wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:43 am
MarkRJones1970 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:41 am Does anyone know what date it was shown back then? I would like to know if my memory is correct.
Ah great! So I remembered it correctly. Cheers! :D

I can remember things like that but I can watch a new film nowadays and 3 months later I've forgotten all about it! :roll:
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:20 am
Wogew wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:43 am
Ah great! So I remembered it correctly. Cheers! :D

I can remember things like that but I can watch a new film nowadays and 3 months later I've forgotten all about it! :roll:
I watched it for the first time back in 76 during the summer. I too remember the Saturday afternoon slot in '82...always thought it was a strange time to broadcast it when typically Play Away with Brian Cant was on.
Golem

Post by Golem »

Wogew wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:40 am In Norway we also had the same thing going, free drinks and chips, and free screening. A Norwegian Disney representative said a few words before the show, just repeating a couple of sentences from the press release ("not available for fifty years...") Jackson and Lindsay-Hogg intro without any big revelations and obviously filmed separately and intercut. The theatre was not full. And Disney also gave us a free Get Back screening in 2021, with drinks and snacks. Tonight it's Stockholm, but only 20 seats are available for fans, first come, first served.

As for the film itself, it felt just like it has been on the best of the bootleg DVDs, some slight differences soundwise (didn't remember the tongue-clicking on "Two Of Us"), and at the end, the still image with the Get Back coda was replaced with white text on black for the credits, the accompanying sound being a rehearsal of "Oh! Darling", "River Rhine" and finally an instrumental which title escapes me. Throughout, the sound was mono or very close stereo (I positioned myself in the center of the theatre) and I got no Atmos feeling at the rooftop concert, it felt more like they just turned the sound up a notch for that segment.
man that's disappointing, the get back reprise was my fav part of the film
Grackleflint

Post by Grackleflint »

I remember seeing Let it Be when it was released, at our local theater, and sneaking a cassette recorder in to tape it. I had that tape for many years.
MP3J

Post by MP3J »

Being "of an age", i remember the BBC showing all the Beatles films in 74(?)....but i was a few years away from becoming a fan. I do remmber sitting through Let It Be and wondering what the hell was all this Beatlemania about when they played like this!
By the time of the BBC's Christmas Beatlefest of 79 i was about a year into fandom...but family commitments meant that i only saw Yellow Submarine and Shea. I caught Let It be again on the BBC in 82, i remember it was almost unannounced and i could easily have missed it.....we were a couple of years away from getting a VHS recorder.
I picked up a boot VHS copy around 88....it was a shit recording though. Ive watched Let It Be several times on downloads from Bootlegzone and here, but i still can't wait to get home from work to watch the new polished version tomorrow....and then wait for a torrent :)
joguema

Post by joguema »

Grackleflint wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:10 pm I remember seeing Let it Be when it was released, at our local theater, and sneaking a cassette recorder in to tape it. I had that tape for many years.
Same here, but my cassette is long gone.
A-Caceres

Post by A-Caceres »